Thoughts on the Fender Pro Jr?

grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
Today I went guitar shopping an not only did it help me identify the guitar I want/need it also opened my eyes to this Fender Pro Jr amp.
I dont know much about amps, and even less about fender amps but whats the general thoughts on this amp?

Now I thought it sounded great and I honeslty couldnt get a bad sound out of it and it nailed the clean tone i've been searching for in my head for a while now, so comments on " i think it sounds crap" etc arnt what I'm after more so on its reliability or known faults if it has them thanks. Of course if you think it sounds crap you can still tell me :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    It's a nice little amp - much better than the Blues Junior, not a 'basic' version of it. Some well-known players use them - Neil Finn, for one.

Build quality and reliability is good apart from the pots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Thanks for the info!
  • Jeff Beck was using two last I saw.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Oooo!

A little fixed biased EL84 amp. Bit rare? 

ICBM, do you think the biasing arrangement is responsible for its charms?

Dave.

I don't know, but it can't hurt it I don't think! It certainly has a deeper and clearer sound than many 15W 2-EL84 amps, and is a lot less hard on valves than most too.

Also has a RC filter on the OT primary if I remember... fairly unusual on modern amps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ecc83 said:

Oooo!

A little fixed biased EL84 amp. Bit rare? 

No.
    martinw said:

No.
    They're much more common than they used to be, definitely. Many of the most popular EL84 amps are now fixed-bias.

• really nice amp, easy to carry, packs a punch, cheap to swap speakers (10") - if you can find one of thos relic versions in the tweed they are a complete steal (hand jointed pine etc). wish I'd kept mine (as usual)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    They're great amps, in fact one of mine is surplus to requirements atm (blatant spam alert!)

It's a USA-built blond/oxblood model with a Ragin' Cajun speaker, PM me if you're interested :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Forgotten these exist. Some MK II's still being sold,what's the difference between those and the III's?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • There's an awesome looking red one on the Guitar Guitar site, I would have pulled the trigger had it had reverb, as technicals aside the tone is great, very versatile
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Forgotten these exist. Some MK II's still being sold,what's the difference between those and the III's?
    Unlike the rest of the hot rod series I don't think there were any internal changes to the pro jr, just the cosmetic change of the black panel instead of chrome.

I picked up a mk ii at a silly price new when the III came out. It's a cracking amp, just not versatile enough to justify keeping unfortunately.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Actually I thought the blues junior was quite a versatile amp which I tried a couple of weeks ago. I tried the junior pro too along side it. Nice amp but would go for the versatility of the blues junior if was to buy one of them :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/