Slash I've under rated him

Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
Just been watching "made in Stoke" what a great guitarist!
Having read his auto biog I always wandered when he had the time to practise. Maybe now he's clean he's put those extra hours
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I came to the same conclusion a few years ago, I think the biggest reason a lot of people overlooked him for a long time was the same reason I did - I couldn't stand the singer he was working with.  He did add some brilliant touches to the G'n'R catalogue though, and if you can get through some of the live clips from that era he could pull it off live.  I wish Velvet Revolver had of stayed together.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Some of the stuff on his album Slash (2010) with guest vocals is excellent.  A lot of it is well written, tasteful and even understated in parts.  Love By the Sword, Gotten and Saint is a Sinner.  Haven't listened to the newer one yet but will do.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I think he's a great player, it's the 'swagger' that lifts him above many more 'technical' guitarists. I saw him on TV playing a live Hendrix track once, and it was almost a bit sloppy, but so close to that edge that it made it brilliant compared to something 100% in time but soulless.

I have the made in Stoke CD, and him + Miles Kennedy make a great pairing.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    Big fan and I too was staggered how good his playing was at that gig.The only downside,to me,' was the unnecessary extended widdling during the Godfather Theme.Absolutely flawless apart from that.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • He's always been good, it's just think he put so effort into pushing a certain recognisable image that people overlooked him as a bit of a gimmick of his own creation.  Especially as a debut album Appetite has some great playing on it.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I've always felt he was better than people give him credit for. Not a big fan of gnr though , which I suspect puts many others off him too.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    He's always been good, it's just think he put so effort into pushing a certain recognisable image that people overlooked him as a bit of a gimmick of his own creation.  Especially as a debut album Appetite has some great playing on it.
    Some of the early stuff is iffy to say the least, there are parts on Appetite that are positively painful
  • That's true, but it depends how you define good.  Some of his early live stuff is particularly dodgy (maybe it was the smack), but having said that it still contains some riffs which were more or less instant classics and still parts that youngsters strive to play.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    That's true, but it depends how you define good.  Some of his early live stuff is particularly dodgy (maybe it was the smack), but having said that it still contains some riffs which were more or less instant classics and still parts that youngsters strive to play.
    In time for a start.

And then Izzy left, and it all changed.
  • He is a great player. I know there is some piss taking with Slash, but his playing is on a level that I'm sure a lot of Guitarists would be enviable of.

I think what winds us Amateur Guitarists up is that most non musicians seem to see him as THE Guitar God simply because they don't know that many Guitarists and he becomes the "Go To" icon figure.

I will eventually master the Harmonic Minor run in S.C.O.M too. :-D

Only a Fool Would Say That.