Can you please help me draw some comparisons between these guitars I have been offered for trade ...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    close2u said:

A new offer has come in to the mix ...

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat ... I haven't been given an indication of the cash difference yet ... local enough to meet up in person

I tried a classic vibe tele, it was like a slightly improved Mexican tele
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I tried a classic vibe tele, it was like a slightly improved Mexican tele
    And you'd probably need £300 your way?
  • Difficult choice, in fact I was very tempted to offer you a trade on your LP too, lol but chickened out in the end as I have never had anything with P90's and I am not sure I would get anything from them that I don't alreadyhave from my Strat/Tele  :))

I love Fenders and have had various Strats and Tele's across the board over the years, American Standards, Mexicans, Squire, Japanese and so on. 

I only have one Strat at the moment and it is a Highway One with Seymour Duncans in it including a single coil size bucker in bridge. Why do I say this - simply because it is the only Strat I have had for a long time,and have absolutely no intention of ever moving it on - ever, and I suffer from GAS regularly, it is the best Strat I have owned or played - period.

This doesn't mean that all Highway One's will be the same - if I were in your position though, the Highway One is the one I would at the most closely. Just my five cents 
    :-B
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896
    close2u said:
    he might well be able to trade it direct to gak for a new one. Probably not quite, but it's a worthwhile consideration.
    Raises an interesting point ... I haven't even thought about ... does anyone have any idea what sort of deal I might be offered from a retail outlet for part-ex?

not sure about the latest range, it looks as if it's stopped a while back

Mine was made in 2004 in Korea, the latest versions may be different.

part-ex is always more expensive for the person trading in, since the shop is investing in your trade in, and needs to leave a margin to make a gain on the sale - and is taking a risk, better to swap or sell privately. Don't shops have to charge VAT too, so that has to come out of your trade in value too

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013
    That one listed on GAK isn't actually available. Fender dropped the Lite Ash range years ago, and it says 'phone for delivery...product discontinued'. That's just a legacy page on their website that you can get to via google, but not from the search function on the GAK site.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    Don't the lite ash series have abalone inlays on the fretboard - just looks soooo wrong to me on a Fender!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • That one listed on GAK isn't actually available. Fender dropped the Lite Ash range years ago, and it says 'phone for delivery...product discontinued'. That's just a legacy page on their website that you can get to via google, but not from the search function on the GAK site.
    It's annoying that a lot of dealers seem to have pages of out of stock items to act as bait for search engines. 
  • Strat vs Tele comes down to personal preference, really, so make sure you play both styles and get used to the differences so you can make an informed decision.

For my two cents, I'd take a Tele over a Strat any day of the week, but then Strat sounds don't make up the core of what I look for in a guitar tone - again all subjective and down to personal taste

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited November 2013

I tried a classic vibe tele, it was like a slightly improved Mexican tele
    And you'd probably need £300 your way?

I would definitely need some money my way :)

I'm asking £530 so am at the low end of the spectrum for used prices on this Les Paul Studio model. CV Strat worth, what, about £230ish

What do you reckon to these calculations / price comparisons?

• When the lite ash guitars came out a couple of friends bought them; one had Tele the other a strat. General consensus from the number of people that tried them was that the strat was the better guitar. This included the owner of the tele!

Of course it could have just been that THAT strat was better than THAT tele. Pretty hard choice really.
  • close2u said:

What do you reckon to these calculations / price comparisons?

I think the CV Strat in excellent condition is probably worth about £200 and your Les Paul £500 or so http://r.ebay.com/tZDlFz hence my £300 estimate.

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Don't the lite ash series have abalone inlays on the fretboard - just looks soooo wrong to me on a Fender!

Yes they do ... and I quite like them.