half decent Acoustic Amp for Piezo equipped guitar

welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815

Following my purchase of a Piezo equipped guitar for the "blended" moments I need to do for this Fleetwood Mac tribute, I need to think about getting a 2nd amp for the set-up to handle the Piezo sounds..

In normal live scenarios, it will be direct through the PA, but I am just thinking about the extra flexibility I will get by running it through an amp - effects, comp, reverb etc, also I can see an amp helping with on-stage monitoring somewhat as the IEM's will predominantly be vocals (due to 4/5 part harmonies) and a little instrumentation.

I have seen/used the Marshall AS series amps and these seem to be really good value, however, is there a vast difference in build/sound quality between the 50 and 100?

Another thought is a head based system (possibly a small PA head) that has onboard effects that I could run through possibly @photek s Bogner Cube (ssshh, don't tell him!!), because I'm a vain bastard and it will match the look of my Shiva!!!

Any ideas my fellow fretboarders?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Some people here recommended the Ashdown Radiator to me on another thread.

Seems they can be had for very little money.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815

@Kebabkid ah, ok, seen them, but wasn't sure about reliability etc being Ashdown..

I'll have a look

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    The Marshall AS100D is in a completely different league from the 50, yes.

If you go through a guitar cab you won't get the full-range acoustic tone and it might sound a bit 'electric' - possibly worth trying if you have the cab already though, I quite like it. (But then again I like acoustic-electric 'hybrid' sounds and I'm not a fan of the standard piezo into full-range system sound usually.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    welshboyo said:

@Kebabkid ah, ok, seen them, but wasn't sure about reliability etc being Ashdown..

I'll have a look

Not sure about reliability but @thomasw88 had this to say about the Ashdown Radiator:-

However, for the last 4 or 5 years, I've been giging with an Ashdown Radiator, and much prefer that.  

Reason being 1) it  gives me a good monitor sound of my acoustic on stage. 2)Has a direct out that works superbly with the PA. 3) Has a very small footprint.4) they are fairly cheap 2nd hand.  5) loud enough to gig without putting through the PA, should you so desire.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72381
    I'm not a fan of Ashdown gear in general but I do like the Radiator. I've never seen a broken one either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein