Sister Rosetta Tharpe

What's Hot
streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
Shows up in Manchester looking like she's ready for sunday service, whips out an SG custom and raps on rain. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Good find. Have a wow...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Pretty groovy. Only wish she was shooting up some radscorpion venom at the end.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Classic clip. They showed the whole of that show on BBC4 one friday night a while back. The whole thing was set on that platform, quite bizarre really (Muddy Waters was on the same show IIRC)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    She was amazingly influential on a lot of the blues/rock of the 60s, even though she's fairly unknown. I first came across her on a Chris Barber jazz album, he brought her over here to tour - and a lot of other black US musicians, when they wouldn't have been able to play to white audiences in their own country, often.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    edited October 2013
    There's another clip on YouTube of her playing "up above my head" in front of a gospel choir and about half way through she rips into a brilliant solo.

Edited to add

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • furtherfurther Frets: 88
    Amazing
  • I've see it before, but I liked it so much I gave you a wow :D
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • There's another clip on YouTube of her playing "up above my head" in front of a gospel choir and about half way through she rips into a brilliant solo.

Edited to add

Just watched that one, classic. She was a proper character it seems. It's great what you discover on here sometimes.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • she was no slouch as a singer either
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself