Amp or Amp Sim

What's Hot
asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
Hi Guys

I can't use an amp because of the neighbours so i have to D.I. the guitar into Logic Pro X via an Interface.

My question is,I am using Waves GTR3 and Amplitube 3 but would i get a more realistic sound if I had an Amp
with an Emulated out such as a Blackstar,or maybe use an Attenuator,which i have,with another Amp?

Thanks

Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Hey Alan. :)

My uneducated answer would be, nah, I doubt it very much. ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I'll have to steal this from the Backup Amp thread...
    Paulo said:
    I got a Joyo American Sound pedal delivered today, here it is direct into pc with a little reverb added
    To me that sounds far more convincing than any digital emulation I've ever heard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Does your amp have a series FX loop?  If it does, go from FX send to your interface and use an IR.  In my experience that gives the best tone at low volume, assuming you don't own a Kemper/Axe FX.  I use the stock cabs in ReCabinet, I've got hundreds of other IRs but don't want to faff around testing which one is best.  Remember that your amp will still need a speaker load connected unless it passes sound in standby (it would explicitly say this in the manual if it did).
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Does your amp have a series FX loop?  If it does, go from FX send to your interface and use an IR.  In my experience that gives the best tone at low volume, assuming you don't own a Kemper/Axe FX.  I use the stock cabs in ReCabinet, I've got hundreds of other IRs but don't want to faff around testing which one is best.  Remember that your amp will still need a speaker load connected unless it passes sound in standby (it would explicitly say this in the manual if it did).

I haven't got an Amp.

I do have the Redwirez Vox IR's I have not tried ReCabinet.

• ICBM;64153" said:
    I'll have to steal this from the Backup Amp thread...Paulo said:I got a Joyo American Sound pedal delivered today, here it is direct into pc with a little reverb added

me that sounds far more convincing than any digital emulation I've ever heard.
    This. They do other ones, too including vox, and has a speaker sim in it - just connect it straight up to recording software.

Amt have some ace ones for gainier sounds - the series 2 preamps. They also have a proper valve preamp and speaker sim, but I've not looked into it. Pound for pound, the Joyo wins for clean and breakup. For outright filth, get Amt :)
  • Do those Joyo pedals have a speaker sim on all the time? So you can't really use them with a real amp?

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896

I used a large custom-made ISO cabinet with real amps, that worked best

GTR3 and AT3 are the best plug-in amp sims I have heard (along with Guitar Rig). The Fender ones include some excellent patches

However, after using my AxeFx2 for the last 20 months, when I tried to play through the AT3 Fender stuff yesterday, the latency and sound quality were both an issue

What sound are you after? The 90s-made Hughes and Kettner Crunch master and Metal master did what you want in a half-rack box - real valve preamp and a power amp or sim, and speaker sim. About £100 on ebay, I had the set

The Joyo pedals are a good starting point if you want to avoid modelling in the PC/Mac - but I disagree about a pedal being better than any amp sim - I have heard plenty of excellent sim patches, the AxeFx2 is stellar, and the PC/Mac plugins are very good if you get these things right:

1. you MUST use either active pickups or a proper DI. Most interfaces destroy a passive pickup's sound - this is not a subtle difference
    2. Ensure your studio monitors / headphones can take the guitar sound - subwoofer, high output power amps
    3. Using good IR makes a big difference, as has been said

I would not buy a real amp just to DI from it, I tried attenuators and then using speaker sims in AT3, etc. It never sounded better than a good AT3 patch. Using a real speaker in  an ISO cab works. I have some I should get round to selling. With the correct reverb and multi-band compression, they sound excellent

If you can get the cash, buy an AxeFx2, it does all this, plus being able to do almost any kind of guitar gig live, as well as acoustic guitar and Bass. I rarely touch any ampsim plugin in protools anymore

Thanks ToneControl

I don't use overdrive/distortion that much,i prefer the clean sounds.

In view of the info here I would probably be as well to get some more Redwirez IR's
    Fender will probably be the ones to go for.

The Fender Amps in Amplitube 3 are very good,i now have a choice of upgrading from the custom shop
    or the Redwirez.

I am using Logic Pro X - M-Audio Profire Interface.

I do like the look of the AxeFx2 but can i justify it for bedroom/hobby use?

Alan

asimmd said:

No!! :D

Unless you really want to. :)
    ddlooping said:
    asimmd said:

No!! :D

Unless you really want to. :)

justification skills only come with practice and dedication. I can offer tuition for £30 an hour 
    asimmd said:
    Thanks ToneControl

I don't use overdrive/distortion that much,i prefer the clean sounds.

In view of the info here I would probably be as well to get some more Redwirez IR's
    Fender will probably be the ones to go for.

The Fender Amps in Amplitube 3 are very good,i now have a choice of upgrading from the custom shop
    or the Redwirez.

I am using Logic Pro X - M-Audio Profire Interface.

Alan

you unbalanced inputs on that are = 1M ohm it says, so you should be OK

being serious, whether an AF2 is appropriate depends on your budget generally: if you are playing guitars that cost £700+ used, and think the sound of £1k+ amps is worth the cash, then an AF2 is a good move

If you have a semi-pro guitar (Mexican/Korean, etc) and don't want to spend £1000s, AT3 is as good as you'll get I think

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Do those Joyo pedals have a speaker sim on all the time? So you can't really use them with a real amp?
    I think it does Grumpy rocker although on the youtube examples they are being used in from of an amp too
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Well to answer ToneControl's question.

I have just taken delivery of a new Gibson ES-339,my very first Gibson,and my
    other guitars are A Custom Shop Strat NOS56 - Original 86 Strat - Mexican Standard
    Strat with new neck and gold hardware,and a Simon Neil Strat.

Whether this is a reasonable reason to get an AF2,i will leave you guys to decide.

I have never heard an AF2,and i don't know who stocks them in the UK.

Alan

• The Joyo's do have a sort of speaker sim on all the time however they do still sound excellent into the front of an amp. I bought one to Fender up my Blackstar clean channel, has worked quite well really
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    If you're going to spend that much you could also look into the Kemper amp profiler. :)

no one stocks AF2s AFAIK

- they come mail order from Germany

you have to go to a show or meet someone if you want to try

they are sold on approval though - you can send it back

I doubted they could be much better than AT3, etc. They are much better. Only boutique amps and pedals can match/beat the sounds out of this thing

Thanks for the info,i will have a look round their website,and listen to the demo's.

I bet youtube is full of them.

Alan

• Get an AMT preamp pedal (or several). They're awesome, especially run with some decent cab impulses.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    I'll have to steal this from the Backup Amp thread...
    Paulo said:
    I got a Joyo American Sound pedal delivered today, here it is direct into pc with a little reverb added
    To me that sounds far more convincing than any digital emulation I've ever heard.
    That sounds lovely !
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Get an AMT preamp pedal (or several). They're awesome, especially run with some decent cab impulses.
    the expensive tube ones, or the others like the f-1?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom