Learning the Fretboard: Using 3 notes per string patterns. (3NPS)

What's Hot
GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
edited March 2016 in Technique
3NPS PATTERN 1 at the 8th Fret

I'm freely sharing my 35+ years of guitar playing knowledge.

Continuing the learning fretboard stuff, this time using 3 note per string, that's known as 3NPS.

I'm using 3 note per string (3NPS) patterns on the 8th fret, which makes the stretches much easier than at the 1st fret.

*Take it easy with the finger stretches, if you're not used to using these type of finger patterns.*

The first lesson in the 3NPS series is the Pattern 1.

There's a diagram that shows what fingers to use for Pattern 1.

The diagram also shows "C Ionian" at the 8th fret position and then organised into three smaller parts. This makes it easier to memorise.

Pattern 1 is used in this lesson with an Ionian scale, but within Pattern 1 there are many scales, *Pattern 1 is not just the Ionian scale*.

The diagram also shows three chords that sound good with C Ionian and these will also get your fingers stretching. It's a good idea to create a backing track using these chords, using a loop pedal makes it very easy.

There are 7 patterns in basic 3NPS, so I'll post a lesson for each pattern.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited November 2017
    Continuing using using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 1.

Here's "D Dorian" again using 3NPS Pattern 1.

There's a diagram that shows what fingers to use for Pattern 1.

The diagram also shows "D Dorian" at the 8th fret position and then organised into three smaller parts. This makes it easier to memorise.

The diagram also shows three chords that sound good with "D Dorian" and these will also get your fingers stretching. It's a good idea to create a backing track using these chords and play-a-long using these "D Dorian" patterns, using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks very easy.

When you solo using the "D Dorian" patterns over your backing track, try to play the Chord's notes on the downbeats.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1p1QbjFDjwHAARG8VEoH4AC1YFAAt47ts

Continuing using using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 1.

Here's the "G Mixolydian" scale, again using 3NPS Pattern 1.

As before, there's a diagram that shows what fingers to use for Pattern 1.

The diagram also shows "G Mixolydian" at the 8th fret position and then organised into three smaller parts. This makes it easier to memorise.

The diagram also shows three chords that sound good with "G Mixolydian". It's a good idea to create a backing track using these chords and play-a-long using these"G Mixolydian" patterns, using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks very easy.

When you solo using the "G Mixolydian" patterns over your backing track, as a exercise try to play the Chord's notes on the downbeats.

The "F Lydian" scale.

Continuing using using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 1 at the 8th fret.

As in previous posts, there's a diagram that shows the "F Lydian" scale and it's smaller parts at the 8th fret.

I'm only using one chord for this lesson, but it's a truly great chord. It uses the 1st, 5th, 7th and 11th (4th) notes of the Lydian scale. That's the notes F, C, E, B. It's a beautiful sounding chord that's built using two fifths and a third. F to C and E to B are the fifths. C to E is the third.

Any questions, just mail me.

edited July 2015
    Three Notes Per String (3NPS). Pattern 1.
    Using every third note of the scale (3rds).

This lesson is about playing every third note in a scale using 3NPS pattern 1.

There's two patterns, these two patterns of thirds are great for extended arpeggios.

The diagram shows every third note in the "C Ionian" and "D Dorian" scales, but because of the repeating nature of thirds they can be used for all the scales in "C Ionian". Example: "E Phrygian" has every third note "E G B D F A C E", which is same as every third note in the "C Ionian" scale, but starting on an "E" note.

edited August 2015
    3NPS PATTERN 2 at the 10th Fret

In this lesson, I'm using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 2 at the 10th fret for the C Ionian scale.

The location of the root note "C" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagram below.

There are standard fingerings shown for the pattern.
    *Take it easy with the finger stretches, if you're not used to using these type of finger patterns.*

Use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the pattern over the chords. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier.

Chord 1 is a great sounding stack of two fifths using the 1st, 5th and 2nd (9th) notes of the scale.
    Chord 2 creates a suspended type sound, using the 1st, 5th and 4th (11th) notes of the scale.
    Chord 3 creates a lot of tension by using the 1st, 7th and 4th (11th) notes of the scale.

Take your time learning the notes, really know each note and don't just learn the pattern(s).
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    edited August 2015
    [removed]
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2015

In this lesson, I'm using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 2 at the 10th fret for the D Dorian scale.

The location of the root note "D" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagram below.

Use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the pattern over the chords. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier.

Chord 1 is a minor 7th sound, using the 1st, 7th and 3rd (10th) notes of the scale.
    Chord 2 creates a minor 6th type sound, using the 1st, 6th and 3rd (10th) notes of the scale.

Take your time learning the notes, really know each note and don't just learn the pattern(s).

• 3NPS PATTERN 2 at the 10th Fret

E Phrygian at the 10th fret

In this lesson, I'm using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 2 at the 10th fret for the E Phrygian scale.

The location of the root note "E" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagram below.

Chords using the Phrygian scale have a very cool sound, I like the sound of using the 4th note and the 2nd note of the scale. The note that adds the characteristic sound of the Phrygian scale is the 2nd note.

Use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the patterns over the chords, using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Then create melodies using the patterns, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies, so the harmony is outlined in the melody.

Chord 1 is a suspended sound, using the 1st, 4th, 7th and 2nd (9th) notes of the scale.
    Chord 2 creates a minor type sound, but with the added 2nd (9th), using the 1st, 3rd, 7th and 2nd (9th) notes of the scale.

edited October 2015

F Lydian at the 10th fret

In this lesson, I'm using 3 note per string (3NPS) pattern 2 at the 10th fret for the F Lydian scale.

The location of the root note "F" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagram.

There are standard fingerings shown for 3NPS Pattern 2.

Chords using the F Lydian scale have a distinctive sound because of 4th note, I like the sound of using the 4th note with the 2nd (9th) and 3rd note of the scale. The note that adds the characteristic sound of the Lydian scale is the 4th note.

Use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the patterns over the chords, using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Once you know all the notes in each pattern, create melodies using the patterns, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies, so the harmony is outlined in the melody.

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 4th, and 2nd (9th) notes of the scale.
    Chord 2 uses the 1st, 4th and 3rd notes of the scale.

Take your time learning the notes, really get to know each note name on the fretboard and don't just learn the pattern(s).

• It's great you do this, man - good stuff!
    edited October 2015

G Mixolydian at the 10th fret

This Lesson is still using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 2 at the 10th fret, but for the G Mixolydian scale.

The location of the root note "G" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagram.

Chords using the Mixolydian scale have a distinctive sound because of 7th note, also by adding the 4th note gives a suspended sound. The note that adds the characteristic sound of the Mixolydian scale is the 7th note.

As in previous lessons, use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the part patterns over the chords, using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Once you know all the notes in each part pattern, create melodies using these part patterns, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies, so the harmony is outlined in the melody.

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 5th and 7th notes of the scale to give a strong flavour.
    Chord 2 uses the 1st, 4th and 7th notes of the scale to give a suspended sound.
    Chord 3 uses the 1st, 3rd and 7th notes of the scale, beware that the 3rd note "B" is out of 10th fret position on on the 9th fret.

Take your time learning the notes, really get to know each note name on the fretboard and don't just learn the pattern(s).

edited November 2015

"A Aeolian" scale at the 10th fret

This Lesson is still using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 2 at the 10th fret, but for the "A Aeolian" scale.

The location of the root note "A" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagrams.

The Aeolian scale has a distinctive sounding 6th note. The note "F" is the character note of the "A Aeolian" scale used in this lesson.

As in previous lessons, use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the part patterns over the chords. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Once you know all the notes in each part pattern, create melodies using these part patterns, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies,  so the harmony is outlined in the melody. Then trying play intervals of every 3rd note of the scale, every 5th note experiment and have fun.

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 5th and 6th notes of the scale, giving a discordant sound due to the "E" and "F" notes.
    Chord 2 uses the 1st, 4th and 6th notes of the scale, giving the distinctive sound of the character 6th note "F".
    Chord 3 uses the 1st, 3rd and 6th notes of the scale, giving the distinctive sound of the character 6th note "F".

Take your time learning each note, really get to know each note name on the fretboard and don't just learn the pattern(s).

edited November 2015

"B Locrian" scale at the 10th fret

This Lesson is still using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 2 at the 10th fret, but for the "B Locrian" scale.

The location of the root note "B" is highlighted in red on the diagram below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagrams.

The Locrian scale has a distinctive sounding 2nd and 5th notes. These are the "C" and "F" notes and are the character notes of the "B Locrian" scale.

As in previous lessons, use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the over the chords using the diagrams. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Once you know all the notes in each part pattern, create melodies using these part patterns, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies,  so the harmony is outlined in the melody. Then play intervals of every 3rd note of the scale, every 5th note, try all intervals if possible, experiment, but most of all, have fun.

Chord 1 is two notes, so is technically called a "double stop", using the 1st and 2nd notes of the scale gives a discordant sound due to the root note "B" and distinctive 2nd note "C".

Chord 2 is two notes, so is technically called a "double stop", using the 1st and 3rd notes of the scale gives a familiar minor interval sound "B" to "D".

Chord 3 is two notes, so is technically called a "double stop", using the 1st and 4th notes of the scale, giving a suspended sound due to using the 1st to 4th note, "B" to "E".

Chord 4 uses the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the scale, giving a diminished type sound, due to the two minor 3rd intervals, "B" to "D" and "D" to "F".

Take your time learning each note, really get to know each note, by name, by sound and by location on the fretboard. Don't just learn the patterns.

Any questions send a PM.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Some Locrian goodness:

edited November 2015

I'll finish these lessons on 3NPS Pattern 2, with some common 3rd and 5th intervals. (Just counting every 3rd note using the
    3NPS pattern for 3rds or every 5th note for 5ths)

The diagram shows two exercises for playing 3rds and four exercises for playing 5ths in
    3NPS pattern 2.

I'll start 3NPS Pattern 3 in the next lesson.

edited December 2015
    3NPS PATTERN 3 at the 12th Fret

"E Phrygian" scale at the 12th fret

This Lesson is about using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 3 at the 12th fret, for the "E Phrygian" scale.

The location of the root note "E" is highlighted in red on the diagrams below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into smaller parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagrams.

There are standard fingerings shown for 3NPS Pattern 3.

The Phrygian scale has a distinctive sounding 2nd note. The 2nd note "F" is the character note of the "E Phrygian" scale.

As in previous lessons, use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the over the chords using the diagrams. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Play melodies, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies,  so that the harmony is outlined in the melody. Then play intervals of every 3rd note of the scale, every 5th note, try all intervals if possible, experiment, but most of all, have fun.

Take your time learning each note, really get to know each note, by name, by sound and by location on the fretboard. Don't just learn the patterns.

Chords

(I'd barre the notes "E", "A" and "G" in the following chords.)

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 4th, octave and 3rd notes of the scale.  The 3rd note "G" gives a minor sound and the 4th note "A" gives a slight suspended sound, the octave note "E" reinforces the root sound.

Chord 2 uses the 1st, 4th, 2nd and 3rd notes of the scale.  Again the 3rd note "G" gives a minor sound and the 4th note "A" gives a slight suspended sound, the 2nd note "F" gives the characteristic Phrygian scale sound.

Chord 3 uses the 1st, 6th, octave and 3rd notes of the scale.  The 6th, octave and 3rd notes "C", "E" and "G" create a Major triad, the 1st note "E" reinforces the root sound. (This chord could be named a slash chord, C Major triad with E in the bass, C/E)

"F Lydian" scale at the 12th fret

This Lesson is about using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 3 at the 12th fret, for the "F Lydian" scale.

The location of the root note "F" is highlighted in red on the diagrams below.
    (The fret numbers are also shown in the diagram.)

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into smaller parts. See Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 in the diagrams.

The Lydian scale has a distinctive sounding 4th note. This 4th note is known as the character note of the "Lydian" scale and is note "B" in the F Lydian scale.

As in previous lessons, use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing the over the chords using the diagrams. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Play melodies, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies,  so that the harmony is outlined in the melody. Then play intervals of every 3rd note of the scale, every 5th note, try all intervals if possible, experiment, but most of all, have fun.

Chords

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 7th and 2nd (9th) notes of the scale.  The notes "F", "E" and "G".

Chord 2 uses the 1st, 7th and 3rd (10th) notes of the scale. The notes "F", "E" and "A" give the Major 7th chord sound.

Chord 3 uses the 1st, 7th and 4th (11th) notes of the scale.  The notes "F", "E" and "B". The 4th note "B" gives the chord the characteristic Lydian sound.

"G Mixolydian" scale at the 12th fret

This Lesson is about using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 3 at the 12th fret, for the "G Mixolydian" scale.

The location of the root note "G" is highlighted in red on the diagrams below.

As before, I've found that the patterns are easier to remember if they're split into smaller parts. See Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4 in the diagrams.

The Mixolydian scale has a distinctive sounding 7th note. This 7th note is known as the character note of the "Mixolydian" scale and is note "F" in the "G Mixolydian" scale.

Chords

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 3rd and Octave (8th) notes of the scale.  The notes "G", "B" and "G".

Chord 2 uses the 1st, 3rd and 7th notes of the scale. The notes "G", "B" and "F" give the dominant 7th chord sound, this is the characteristic Mixolydian chord sound.

Chord 3 uses the 1st, 3rd and 6th notes of the scale. The notes "G", "B" and "E" give the Sixth chord sound.

Chord 4 uses the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of the scale. The notes "G", "B" and "D" give the G Major triad sound.

As you can hear the chords have voice leading using the 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th notes, "G" to "F" to "E" to "D".

edited January 2016

"A Aeolian" scale at the 12th fret

This Lesson is about using 3 note per string (3NPS) Pattern 3 at the 12th fret, for the "A Aeolian" scale.

The location of the root note "A" is highlighted in yellow on the diagrams below.

The "Aeolian" scale has a distinctive sounding 6th note. This 6th note is known as the character note of the "Aeolian" scale and is note "F" in the "A Aeolian" scale.

As in previous lessons, use the example chords to create a backing track and practice playing over the chords using the diagrams. Using a loop pedal makes creating backing tracks easier. Play melodies, try to play each chord's notes in your melodies,  so that the harmony is outlined in the melody. Then play intervals of every 3rd note of the scale, every 5th note, try all intervals if possible, experiment, but most of all, have fun.

Chords

Chord 1 uses the 1st, 5th and 3rd (10th) notes of the scale.  The notes "A", "E" and "C". A minor chord.

Chord 2 uses the 1st, 5th and 4th (11th) notes of the scale.  The notes "A", "E" and "D". A slight suspended sound.

Chord 3 uses the 1st, 6th and 4th (11th) notes of the scale. The chord utilises the character 6th note of the "A Aeolian" scale, the note "F".

• Really loving this post - Learned a ton of stuff. Thanks man. 
    All the right notes, not always in the right order!