Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28573
    DanR said:

Just so I don't have the wrong expectations I can basically use this in front of amp as just fx and then into my MacBook with the amp modelling?

Can this just power a cab like my Kemper could?
    Yes to the first; you can set up your patches so that there's one output to the amp, then the amp/cab modelling, then the USB output.

No to the second - there's no onboard power amp. But you can run out to a powered speaker. Again you could set up the patches so that (fer example) the main outs go to your normal amp, then the USB and a send are post amp/cab and go to the Mac and a full range speaker setup.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Updated reverbs are a popular request so you'd think line 6 would act on it. But only line 6 can answer that!
    Could I connect my Big Sky to one of the effects loops and with midi, and have Big Sky reverbs as part of my presets controlled with MIDI, or would I have to control the BS separately?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Sporky said:
    DanR said:

Just so I don't have the wrong expectations I can basically use this in front of amp as just fx and then into my MacBook with the amp modelling?

Can this just power a cab like my Kemper could?
    Yes to the first; you can set up your patches so that there's one output to the amp, then the amp/cab modelling, then the USB output.

No to the second - there's no onboard power amp. But you can run out to a powered speaker. Again you could set up the patches so that (fer example) the main outs go to your normal amp, then the USB and a send are post amp/cab and go to the Mac and a full range speaker setup.
    So if we assume I'm dumb I need the following.

Helix
    Powered Monitors

Am I missing anything else to run it through my MacBook and record?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    That's one of the ways i used mine. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Yup that's fine
    DanR said:

Helix
    Powered Monitors

I didn't mean to assume anything - sorry if it sounded that way.

Your list is correct. I have a pair of Eris E8s for my Helix and that works nicely. There are many good alternatives.
    Sporky said:
    DanR said:

Helix
    Powered Monitors

I didn't mean to assume anything - sorry if it sounded that way.

Your list is correct. I have a pair of Eris E8s for my Helix and that works nicely. There are many good alternatives.
    Ha no I'm saying let's assume I'm dumb and point out all the obvious stuff as I tend to have habits of missing stuff and making return trips.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    Updated reverbs are a popular request so you'd think line 6 would act on it. But only line 6 can answer that!
    Could I connect my Big Sky to one of the effects loops and with midi, and have Big Sky reverbs as part of my presets controlled with MIDI, or would I have to control the BS separately?
    Yes. You can also hook the bs up in stereo if you like.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DanR said:

Ha no I'm saying let's assume I'm dumb and point out all the obvious stuff as I tend to have habits of missing stuff and making return trips.
    Ah! Right.

Well, then, worth pointing out that the Helix does come with a USB cable, but you'll need appropriate cables from the Helix to the monitors. The Helix 1/4 outs are unbalanced, so better to use the XLR outputs for the monitors.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Good call on the XLRs
    work out what your monitors take but XLR to XLR is preferred 
    lots of good Sporkvice though
    I thought I'd read that you could have the 1/4 outs at line or instrument level.

I could be thinking of something that has no relevance to what your saying though.
    You can, but they are always unbalanced (ie they have two conductors, one hot and one ground), whereas most monitors will have balanced inputs (ie a ground, a hot and a cold) which means less noise picked up in the cable.

It doesn't make a vast difference in this sort of setup - it might not even be audible - but if you're going to get a nice set of monitors you might as well hook them up with the best connections, especially given that XLR cables aren't expensive.

Also it means not messing up which cables you take for what.
  • BintyTwanger77 said:

Absolutely. If you check out the blue table on page 36 of the 2.0 Owner's Manual, you'll see we had Big Sky in mind when designing how Snapshots can control external gear. A big goal of Helix's Command Center was to make it feel as if your favorite external pedals were built in.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Digital_Igloo Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Received mine today. Very impressive bit of kit, going to take me a while to set everything up and running well.

Need to get some decent IRs, learn the midi commands for the Strymon trio in the fx loops, midi commands for the DT50, and then setting it up for a wet/dry/wet rig...

Think I'll be kept busy for a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2233
    edited August 2016
    Before I leap into buying the Helix, I want to be absolutely sure...

I have a board of pedals I absolutely love and a fantastic amp which gives me amazing tone.

I want now and again to be able to practice without disturbing any future housemates with my ambient shoegazey nonsense...

I want variety, versatility, ease of use, fantastic effects (mainly reverbs and delays) and practicality...

Should I definitely be going for the Helix? Or is there something like amp/cab simulator (like a Mesa CabClone) I can plug my existing board and headphones into?

I know the Helix is magnificent, I just want to be sure.
  • ...Or is there something like amp/cab simulator (like a Mesa CabClone) I can plug my existing board and headphones into?

Ah man, if we'd had a bit more time we could have talked about this a bit :-)

I often use load boxes so I can run my amps into my computer. It's possible to get good results but it's a little bit more faff. I've not owned a Helix/Fractal so can't say how they compare, but I went down the load box road to make use of the amps and gear that I already had.

Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • @FreddieVanHalen Shame! I will research load boxes then. How's the new addition?
  • Not had much chance to play as I had to work late but first impressions of the gentle settings are that there are some lovely basic tones to be had out of that little box :-)

Let me know when you've done some research, Ive used a few of them...happy to share my thoughts and I think someone who has is @digitalscream ;
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • Not had much chance to play as I had to work late but first impressions of the gentle settings are that there are some lovely basic tones to be had out of that little box :-)

Let me know when you've done some research, Ive used a few of them...happy to share my thoughts and I think someone who has is @digitalscream ;
    That would be hugely helpful, thanks.