What's Hot

Comments

• Here is a later pic when I rebuilt it
    stereo Freyettes and two orange 1x12s for onstage
    straight into the desk for FOH
    https://flic.kr/p/HTQskg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Has anyone had any issues using SPDIF on OSX?

I don't think it's the Helix doing anything wrong in all honesty, I think the drivers for the Focusrite Scarlett are just being a bit shitty with my computer, because every now and then it'll drop the connection. But what's happening is when I have the Scarlett as the clock master, I get clicks in the SPDIF signal. When I have the Helix as the clock master the clicks disappear, but the Scarlett will lose sync every 10-15minutes or so. Kind of annoying, and not 100% sure how to address.
    Is there a setting on the Helix for external clock and are you using it when using the Scarlett as master?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited September 2016
    Drew_TNBD said:

I don't think it's the Helix doing anything wrong in all honesty, I think the drivers for the Focusrite Scarlett are just being a bit shitty with my computer, because every now and then it'll drop the connection. But what's happening is when I have the Scarlett as the clock master, I get clicks in the SPDIF signal. When I have the Helix as the clock master the clicks disappear, but the Scarlett will lose sync every 10-15minutes or so. Kind of annoying, and not 100% sure how to address.
    Is there a setting on the Helix for external clock and are you using it when using the Scarlett as master?

Nope. Just sample-rate as far as I can tell.

Weird thing is, it works much more smoothly on my Windows partition. I just set the Scarlett to be master, and I don't get any problems.
  • I think the rack version has a clock out
    Drew_TNBD said:

I got this sorted. Basically my graphics card was throttling itself and dropping the power, causing my system to experience DPC spiking. I had to disable NVIDIA PowerMizer, and all is well now.

• Drew_TNBD said:

Does his Mum know he's missing homework to make this video?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OK, serious head back on..

There is nothing between these units..
  • He should have recorded a dry track to his daw and then re-ampped. It's so easy to do with Helix.... oh.
  • HELIX vs AX8 comparison in case anyone's interested, the conclusion pretty much follows what I have read too 

• Maybe I do need a Helix in my life after all.

@Digital_Igloo - hey dude, so the only thing really that is not quite ideal for me in the Helix currently is the reverse delay. It doesn't sound as I'd expect, and I'm unsure whether this is a bug or not. Checkout this clip if you get a chance:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/TimelineREVERSE_versus_HelixREVERSE.mp3?dl

It goes Timeline, Helix, Helix, Timeline, Timeline, Helix, Helix.

You can hear that there is some sort of buffer read strangeness going on with the Helix model, as towards the tail of the delay it starts to sound more like a regular forwards delay. You don't get the nice gooey congealed mess that the Timeline gives you, where it sounds like your whole phrase is being reversed constantly, which is expected behaviour imho.

The Helix sounds decent in it's initial phase, but then when it hits it's mid-phase it starts to lose the reversed character. I can't achieve the tone that I use with the Helix reverse right now, which is a dammmmnnn shame if you ask me!

Thoughts??

• welshboyo said:
    OK, serious head back on..

Unless you need 2 completely different paths with different amps.
  • fretmeister said: 
    welshboyo said:
    OK, serious head back on..

Unless you need 2 completely different paths with different amps.
    Or an audio interface.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    In terms of the sound they produce I still her some axe fx clips that make me go 'wow' but the Helix really is the full package.  I've gone from a plexi and a pedal board that weighs a ton and there's no doubt at all in my mind the helix sounds better.  

Add to that it weighs a tenth of my old rig, my direct sound is superb and the programming is a piece of cake it's an amazing get piece of kit.  Still haven't recorded with it or used 10 % of its capability either!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    From listening to the various comparison clips there are some where I slightly prefer the AX8. But I reckon a comb filter on the Helix would match that sound exactly. In other places the Helix had a really nice "rawwwr" that the AX8 lacked. Pretty small differences either way sound-wise.

And as g66 couldn't be arsed putting me on the waiting list for an AxeFX a few years back, Fractal can stuff off. If they ever deign to have a UK stockist I might reconsider, but if they don't want me in their club that's fine. I don't really understand that business model - you have to beg to be allowed to buy one?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Thoughts??
    It's on the docket for one of our DSP guys to check out.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That metal comparison was really good and I agree with everything he said, I have a helix but do think the AX8 has a very slight edge in sound, but it's so slight that the rest of the features in the Helix more than compensate for me.  
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Thoughts??
    Lovely, cheers!
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Thoughts??
    Lovely, cheers!
    Is that just after the bass drive pedals are done?