Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    FarleyUK said:
    Just got Glen Deluane's patches - looking forward to running them out!

Also, as I'm brand-new to the FrFr world, I'm a bit concerned about different patches being different levels; what's the best way to get them all the same level? Output block gain? Amp channel? Amp master?
    I just use the master of the amp to even them up but you can whack a gain block in if it isn't enough
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816

I use 3rd party IR's for all of the GDL/Fremen patches as I find the one they come with (be it their own or using on board cabs) sound a little off.

I use the db in the IR's ( I use Ownhammer) to even out things

• FarleyUK said: I'm a bit concerned about different patches being different levels; what's the best way to get them all the same level? Output block gain? Amp channel? Amp master?
    Since most presets have the amp block already selected, this is what we do: Select preset, turn knob 6 (Channel Volume), press SAVE twice, repeat.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2423
    Just tried the K10 with the Glenn Deluane patches - oh my word! Sounds amazing - was only for an hour and at a low volume but really impressed!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28572
    Deluxe phaser (up waveform) into reverse delay, into octo 'verb, into Boogerschall.

Muhahahhahahahahahahahahahah.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I got a Helix in the post today. Tried with headphones and wasn't impressed at all. Tried it through my RCF 10" active speaker and still not really feeling it I'm afraid. Is there something I'm missing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I got a Helix in the post today. Tried with headphones and wasn't impressed at all. Tried it through my RCF 10" active speaker and still not really feeling it I'm afraid. Is there something I'm missing?
    Are you using the presets? What sort of tones are you going for and what are you used to?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

Are you using the presets? What sort of tones are you going for and what are you used to?
    Trying to create my own sounds as I had been warned off judging it by the presets. I've had Kemper and Axe Fx mk1 with various levels of success direct to PA. Currently using a Two Notes Live to either go direct from my pedal board, with Thorpy Gunshot for OD, or loading down my Shiva and going through my pedal board direct. Both of these options sound great but a bit of a faff to set up, that's why the Helix interests me. I'm going for Fender clean with light OD and compressor, heavyish crunch and singing lead (Lukather?). The Marshalls seem a bit lifeless and bass heavy to me unless you stick an OD pedal in front. The Fender DLX Reverb also a bit lackluster. Also I'm a little disappointed in the limited number of amps available. I really want to like this unit as the build is fantastic and the routing possibilities would almost make it worth the money. When you think how much a Gigrig setup costs.....its just that I wanted to be blown away by the feel and sound but I'm not at the moment...
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I got a Helix in the post today. Tried with headphones and wasn't impressed at all. Tried it through my RCF 10" active speaker and still not really feeling it I'm afraid. Is there something I'm missing?
    Trying to create my own sounds as I had been warned off judging it by the presets. I've had Kemper and Axe Fx mk1 with various levels of success direct to PA. Currently using a Two Notes Live to either go direct from my pedal board, with Thorpy Gunshot for OD, or loading down my Shiva and going through my pedal board direct. Both of these options sound great but a bit of a faff to set up, that's why the Helix interests me. I'm going for Fender clean with light OD and compressor, heavyish crunch and singing lead (Lukather?). The Marshalls seem a bit lifeless and bass heavy to me unless you stick an OD pedal in front. The Fender DLX Reverb also a bit lackluster. Also I'm a little disappointed in the limited number of amps available. I really want to like this unit as the build is fantastic and the routing possibilities would almost make it worth the money. When you think how much a Gigrig setup costs.....its just that I wanted to be blown away by the feel and sound but I'm not at the moment...
    YOu'll here different opinions on this but for me third party IRs were the key. Try a free own hammer download or similar.

Plenty of people have success with the built in cabs but I think they take some dialling in I found third party irs a shortcut to some very good sounds.  
  •  kjdowd said:
    I got a Helix in the post today. Tried with headphones and wasn't impressed at all. Tried it through my RCF 10" active speaker and still not really feeling it I'm afraid. Is there something I'm missing?
    YOu'll here different opinions on this but for me third party IRs were the key. Try a free own hammer download or similar.

Plenty of people have success with the built in cabs but I think they take some dialling in I found third party irs a shortcut to some very good sounds.  
    Cheers I'll give it a try.
    Also make sure it's on the latest firmware...
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Sporky said:
    Also make sure it's on the latest firmware...
    Ooh yes.  Big difference. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right mate, I use a Shiva with the Helix and they play very well together and the modelled preamps into the poweramp of the Shiva sound great in 4CM and I have also managed to nail the real Shiva sound direct as well - as @kjdowd mentions the secret sauce is definitely a 3rd party IR, I was a little underwhelmed using the onboard stuff.

Just make sure all the levels are set correctly for 4CM - line/instrument etc and you should be good to go.

Try the free Ownhammer Mesa 412 packs, it's really good and transformed the Helix for me anyway.
    Here is a weird thing ... I find the main difference between modelled amps and real amps is the volume
    it makes you treat them differently
    A Matchless DC30 is terrifying and you tend to play quite gently until you dig in
    The modelled version I seem to play it harder and just turn it down but unless I give it a tonn of Volume it sounds totally different
    I thought he Helix didn't have the same dynamic range but it does .. I just had to turn it up to the same kind of level
    Also don't overlook the pedals
    most of my patches use the SLO clean model and then drive pedals for the different levels of drive

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The Engl covers 90 % of my sounds with a twin for the rest, people complain there aren't enough amps, IMO there are too many :)
    I use four so far. I could get by with two of them. I know it's awfully impressive to have a list of hundreds of amps, but to me that just wastes time wading through them when I have sounds to build.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 365
    edited November 2016
     I've been playing with the Helix all week end. Straight in the front if my Rambler just for ODs and effects and direct to an RCF active cab. Usually with this type of tech I can get something useable with a bit of thought but this baffles me. The drives just don't sound or feel a patch on the Kemper to my ears. I'll be packing it up to send back later as I'm worried about putting a mark on it and having to keep it. I did decide that I'd probably revisit Helix later on when they come up second hand as a fantastic routing and effects unit. The modelled sounds still need work in my opinion (which is at odds with most of the guitar playing world so it must just be me).
    Have you checked it's on the latest firmware?
  •  I've been playing with the Helix all week end. Straight in the front if my Rambler just for ODs and effects and direct to an RCF active cab. Usually with this type of tech I can get something useable with a bit of thought but this baffles me. The drives just don't sound or feel a patch on the Kemper to my ears. I'll be packing it up to send back later as I'm worried about putting a mark on it and having to keep it. I did decide that I'd probably revisit Helix later on when they come up second hand as a fantastic routing and effects unit. The modelled sounds still need work in my opinion (which is at odds with most of the guitar playing world so it must just be me).

I feel the same way as you. reliability issues I had aside, I felt I was always struggling to get a decent tone that I was truly happy with, third party IR's or not. I've gone back to the Kemper now, it really is the cream of the crop when it comes to amp tones. I think it said something that, a few rough demo's aside, I never felt I'd be happy producing decent quality recordings using the Helix on it's own.

Now as a top draw effects unit to use in conjunction with an amp, that's a different matter. Nothing better out there at the moment in my opinion.