Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Just had a quick play. Updated to 2.20 first.

First thoughts: some great sounds. Cleans, crunch, stupid gain (!).

I tried an idea I had a while ago: I created a patch with no amp/cab and using an IR of an acoustic guitar - sounded perfectly acceptable. Will save me taking an acoustic guitar to gigs!

Looking forward to reading the manual and creating some simple patches for first rehearsal on Wednesday.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    Is there a way i can use the helix tuner without killing the signal going to the amps / signal path?

I'd like to be able to use the helix tuner, but keep some level of drone going, so there is never a silent stage.
    Before now I've just used a loop pedal at the end of a signal path, and a tuner at the front. so i record a bit of feedback, or a bit of a riff which replays, and can silent tune over the top of it. 

with helix I can only seem to get silent tuning or a dry signal to amp.

any suggestions?

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    sgosden said:
    Is there a way i can use the helix tuner without killing the signal going to the amps / signal path?

I'd like to be able to use the helix tuner, but keep some level of drone going, so there is never a silent stage.
    Before now I've just used a loop pedal at the end of a signal path, and a tuner at the front. so i record a bit of feedback, or a bit of a riff which replays, and can silent tune over the top of it. 

any suggestions?

yes it's an option, probably under global settings, you can set which outputs are active while the tuner is active
    Red ones are better. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    At the very great risk of disappearing down the rabbit hole...

What recommendations for free IRs do people have?

Try and keep it simple!

This is more of an experiment for my own curiosity than anything else, to compare with the stock cabs and to see how close I can tweak the stock ones to match other IRs.

As a start something for the following

Fender cleans - really crystaline - probably using te Twin amp model
    Boosted plexi - Yngwie sort of thing
    Something metally. Hetfield at the chunkiest. Either using the modded 2204 or a Rectifier.

Links if you can please.

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    TimmyO said:
    sgosden said:

any suggestions?

yes it's an option, probably under global settings, you can set which outputs are active while the tuner is active

only options I've found are on the tuner function itself, where the mute option and bits are. They all seem to ignore the preset, almost like the tuner is on a parallel loop from input to output.

just gonna chuck a tuner pedal in between wireless and helix input for practice/gigs this week, cos I've got no time to play :(

• At the very great risk of disappearing down the rabbit hole...

Try and keep it simple!

This is more of an experiment for my own curiosity than anything else, to compare with the stock cabs and to see how close I can tweak the stock ones to match other IRs.

Something metally. Hetfield at the chunkiest. Either using the modded 2204 or a Rectifier.

Links if you can please.

https://www.celestionplus.com/free-download/

I use this for pretty much everything 
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 358
    edited April 2017

Try and keep it simple!

Links if you can please.

I'd highly recommend the Ownhammer core tone bundle.  Not free obviously but not massively expensive either considering what you get... http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=403
    damm73 said:

Try and keep it simple!

Links if you can please.

I'd highly recommend the Ownhammer core tone bundle.  Not free obviously but not massively expensive either considering what you get... http://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=403
    That's a good point - forgot about that as it came out after I bought my stuff - it should cover what you need @fretmeister  - just use the stuff in the summary folders and ignore the other bajillion files... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I recently bought some patches from choptones, I saw a youtube video that just sounded so nice I decided to go for it even though I'm all for DIY.  The patches use the Helix internal cabs rather than IR's and sound amazing (most of them), I'm re-thinking using IR's at all, it's far simpler and these presets certainly show you don't need them.  Previously I'd used the Ownhammer stuff.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited April 2017
    Most companies do a free pack but it isn't necessarily their best stuff. 

I would recommend Ownhammer's core tone bundle as a good price/performance IR Bundle, it's not much over £20 and covers Fender, Vox, Marshall and Mesa cabs. The folder structure is such that it can be very simple to use or you can get access to all the individual files should you need them. The numbering system makes them easy to use IMO, 00 being brightest and 10 being darkest (removes needing knowledge about positioning)

Celestion Plus are also very user friendly as they use descriptive words in their file names, and they only offer the most common mics. A bit more expensive though.
  • keirkeir Frets: 137
    Got my old board out today made me feel all nostalgic. I've only really had a go of my helix through headphones so far as I sliced open the tip of my index finger last week and haven't been able to fret properly since, so I'm yet to really bond with it. First world problems etc etc!
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Ambient jamming from today...

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
    Drew_TNBD said:

Love it Drew. Would you ever consider sharing the patch at all? Sounds fantastic.
    Drew_TNBD said:

Love it Drew. Would you ever consider sharing the patch at all? Sounds fantastic.
    Yeah man, I don't mind sharing. Here you go!
    https://line6.com/customtone/tone/2964315/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    COOL.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Drew_TNBD said:

Really liking this @Drew_TNBD. Now, who needs a liver as I need to sell one.......
    Drew_TNBD said:

Very nice.

Have you dabbled much with the 3 note generator? 
    Red ones are better. 
    I see someone on TGP is trying to make an IR out of Helix stock cabs for use on Kemper - bucking the 'received wisdom' there 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Very nice.

Yep! Those synthy generators can help you create some really unique patches.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    TimmyO said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Very nice.

Yep! Those synthy generators can help you create some really unique patches.
    I was very excited when I saw them, but the truth is I have not been able to get them working nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing more patches that cleverer people have made and disecting them.

I think I saw one where the guy said the key to his was also using the 3-band comp to keep them going
    Red ones are better.