Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    To further muddy the ext controller waters:

wha tI initially did was take a normal EB *volume* pedal, plug it in to Exp3 using a normal instrument cable, and set the patche(s) to use Ext3 as the volume. If doing this, set the Exp3 parameter to "linear" as the vol pedal is already a logarithmic sweep, so this way that sweep is retained. 

That was I can use Exp2 as wah (as normal, it'll engage with the built in footswitch) and only use Exp1 for things that won't necessarily foul things up when switching to wah (or indeed for nothing)

That approach works, but I've decided to use Exp3 for my Reflex so I can LFO parameters (not started experimenting yet) 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    markblack said:
    I was in exactly the same place. Was about to buy a kemper. Tried a Helix and haven't looked back. If you're into FX IMO the Helix is great - you can kind of do anything. I dropped a few £ on a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's

Best guitar purchase I've made. I play more and more. Yes it's pricey for home use - but the LT might answer that.

All that said I'm sure the Kemper is very good. Just the way you use the Helix is so clever and intuitive. 
    Interesting! I have bought a Helix, waiting for it to arrive.

Another question - how are the HD600's with it? Do they give like a nice actual-amp-sounding sound? They are the headphones I'd been thinking of getting for using with it as I'd read everywhere theyre nice, would be good to get an idea from someone on here thats used them!
    I really like them - but I'm no expert. 

I was using AKG K550's but on recommendations on the Helix forum (from @Digital_Igloo I think) I ordered a pair of HD 600's they were cheapest on BAX they are very comfortable, sound great, I'd say yes they do sound 'amp like' it's not the same as an amp in the room, never will be, but I think the open back helps, not as draining as well. The AKG K550's were very much like you were wearing headphones. Less so with the 600's. I haven't read a bad review of them when used with the Helix.

I've tried the AKG500's, shure in ear 215's, and the 600's. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    Cabicular said:

The Full floor version doesn't support toe switches on the ext pedals just the built in one.
    You can make it support toe switches if they're on a separate connection (as they are with the Mission I posted a link for) - connect the switch to EXP3 and use EXP3 to control the bypass of the block that EXP2 is controlling. Or use the switch for whatever you want.

TimmyO said:

I've decided to use Exp3 for my Reflex so I can LFO parameters (not started experimenting yet) 
    Remember that you can use MIDI for the Reflex and keep EXP3 clear for other stuff.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:

The Full floor version doesn't support toe switches on the ext pedals just the built in one.
    You can make it support toe switches if they're on a separate connection (as they are with the Mission I posted a link for) - connect the switch to EXP3 and use EXP3 to control the bypass of the block that EXP2 is controlling. Or use the switch for whatever you want.

TimmyO said:

I've decided to use Exp3 for my Reflex so I can LFO parameters (not started experimenting yet) 
    Remember that you can use MIDI for the Reflex and keep EXP3 clear for other stuff.
    Oh yeah.

Do the analogue outs on Reflex work with Helix or are they TRS? 
    Red ones are better. 
    They work with the Helix. I think you can put them in TS mode with the dip switches, but I think you also still need a TS cable. I use MIDI 'cos that saves cable clutter, and with MIDI in both directions you can have the Reflex do different things on each Helix patch...
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Sporky said:
    They work with the Helix. I think you can put them in TS mode with the dip switches, but I think you also still need a TS cable. I use MIDI 'cos that saves cable clutter, and with MIDI in both directions you can have the Reflex do different things on each Helix patch...
    Is midi granular enough? My memory (and this is 20 years old) is of hearing the stepping as a you go through 0-127
    I assume things have changed?
    edited April 2017
    I mostly use LFOs; I've not noticed stepping but on a fast full sweep it's probably there. I use the onboard expression pedal for wah type stuff.

I will check.
  • Sporky said:
    Cabicular said:

This, is genius.
    Sporky said:
    Ta.

Yep I'll certainly connect via midi for Reflex patch recall as you say 

cheers
    Red ones are better. 
  • gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
    edited April 2017
    Cabicular said:
    So, just to clear things up, whats the model of Expression pedal that works properly heel-to-toe and with the switch? I've read a lot about exp. pedals that sound weird at the heel position and switches dont work..

Only reason is, I'd be fine with the built in one for intermittent use, like volume or whammy, but I use wah in practically 90% of my solos, and I'm left footed which makes the movement to use my left foot on it a little awkward...
    Having said that I really think your best option is to continue to use your favourite wah and use the onboard exp for delay depth or amp blend or solo boost (or all three....)
    The onboard pedal has a toe switch that means you can switch the wah on and off (its basically two expression pedals in one)
    Thats a great idea but there are some issues that have been pointed out here. The main one is that to engage the wah you have to push the pedal forward to engage the toe switch. Meaning if you have the pedal doing anything else it will be 100% every time you use the wah
    I would keep a separate wah if it is that important to you
    Not unless you merge the wah on state with a bypass for whatever else it was controlling 

so in theory you could either have it full or bypassed

ie. if it were a volume block you could have it on full or left at "0" 

i think
  • Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:
    Is midi granular enough? My memory (and this is 20 years old) is of hearing the stepping as a you go through 0-127
    Yeah, MIDI is ancient. We use smoothing on all continuous parameter adjustments, whether they're controlled via expression pedal, Variax knobs, or MIDI.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:
    Yeah, MIDI is ancient. We use smoothing on all continuous parameter adjustments, whether they're controlled via expression pedal, Variax knobs, or MIDI.
    Thanks for the clarification Eric. I remember it being an issue in the annals of time. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

EDIT - This is fucking sick!
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Helix doing some cool clean tones and some nuts delay oscillation craziness:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/213lj38bkbin0uv/Shake The Creeper_Vox.mp3?dl=0

(New TNBD song idea!)

Cheers duder!
  • vaticancameosvaticancameos Frets: 186
    edited April 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

Drew_TNBD said:

(New TNBD song idea!)

Cheers duder!
    Also I've just realised, I saw your band at ArcTanGent 2 years ago haha, excellent stuff.

Have you used your Helix on any records?
    Drew_TNBD said:

Drew_TNBD said:

(New TNBD song idea!)

Cheers duder!
    Also I've just realised, I saw your band at ArcTanGent 2 years ago haha, excellent stuff.

Have you used your Helix on any records?
    That was a sick gig. Hoping to play it next year too (too late to apply this year!) We're writing new stuff now, should have something to release towards the end of Summer I hope. Helix will be all over it.
    Firmware update just released 2.21

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-221—april-27-2017/

Helix Firmware 2.21 Release Notes

Helix v2.21.0 is a firmware update that includes new fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations. It is highly recommended that all Helix users perform this update!

IMPORTANT! YOU *MUST* FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL 2.21!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, browsers, etc.

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 2.00, your current Helix application version should be 2.00.

3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix editor application and download and install the LATEST Helix editor application (2.20), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.11).

4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.

5. Using the latest Line 6 Updater (1.11), update Helix/Helix Rack to the newest firmware (2.21). At the end of the update process, Helix/Helix Rack will reboot automatically and begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete.

6. If you’re using Helix Control with Helix Rack, connect and power on Helix Control. The inspector will ask if you want to update its firmware. Press Knob 6 (OK). Wait for the update to finish.

YOU MUST RESET GLOBALS AND RESTORE PRESETS, OTHERWISE HELIX 2.21 WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY. DO IT. DO IT NOW:

7. To reset globals and restore presets, turn off Helix/Helix Rack/Helix LT.

HELIX FLOOR AND LT ONLY: While holding footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two switches on the bottom row), turn on Helix. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…” to appear and let go.

HELIX RACK ONLY: While holding knobs 5 and 6 below the screen, turn on Helix Rack. Wait for the message “Will reset Globals and restore stock Presets, Setlists and IRs…” to appear and let go.

8. Using the NEW Helix editor application (2.20), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

Improvements/Changes

- Additional optimizations to the GUI engine

Bug Fixes

- Pitch/Synth > 3 Note Generator and 4 OSC Generator’s behind-the-scenes Trails parameter was disabled, making it appear as if the Decay parameter was broken - FIXED

- Distortion > Stereo > Clawthorn drive appeared slightly right of center - FIXED

- Engaging/bypassing a block from a Stomp switch was slower than normal - FIXED

- Turning the large Volume knob resulted in audible stepping while audio was active - FIXED

- In rare cases, changing cab mic models while Helix is synced to incoming MIDI clock could result in brief UI lockup - FIXED

- In rare cases, Helix could freeze when navigating the model list while receiving many tempo changes via MIDI clock - FIXED

- In rare cases, pressing a Stomp mode footswitch could transmit a single MIDI Clock pulse - FIXED

- In rare cases, Helix could freeze when accessing Global Settings while receiving MIDI Clock via USB - FIXED

- In rare cases, multiple bypass assigned footswitches with custom names can have bypass states swapped upon preset import - FIXED

- In rare cases, Helix can become unresponsive after copying specific block types onto another - FIXED

- Helix Rack/Control only: If an expression pedal is connected to Helix Control with its position set to heel down, its Global Settings > Pedals > Polarity is set to “Inverted”, and its Global Settings > Pedal > Pedal Position is set to “Global”, an audible blip can occur on preset load - FIXED

- Other bug fixes and optimizations

Known Issues

- If a Variax guitar is connected to Helix, MIDI channel 16 should never be used, as channel 16 is how Variax Workbench communicates with the guitar. This is by design. On a related note, Variax Workbench should never be used while MIDI tracks are armed or playing back in your DAW

- If Helix is set to a preset with a Pitch/Synth > Generator block on before beginning the firmware update process, a short burst of audio may be heard after presets are rebuilt

If a user fails to read and follow the update instructions, Helix will add nine additional steps to the update process, one of which involves a shot of cheap mezcal

Red ones are better. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24271
    I had noticed the block delay. I thought I was imagining it for a mo.
    <goes off to rename/number IRs this time...> 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TimmyO said:
    14a Renamer might help with that.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    TimmyO said:
    Once again, glad I don't use the IRs and the stock stuff works for me :)