Line 6 Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303

FYI, the new THR NAILS that tone easy peasy like. It's looking more possible that I will get over to the amp day in Nottm. Might not be for long but should be able to make it.

Ross, that would be great. Now at our last demo day @paulmapp8306 brought his AXe FXII  and we had a go at trying to get his Blackface patch sound like my Blackface Dr Z. To get it close, and it was close in the end, we had to use a graphic EQ  and drop some of the top end, and then push the high mids.

I haven't seen, though i believe there is one in the Helix, anyone demo how to tweak the amp profiles using a graphic EQ, and what other options there are fro fine tuning the raw amp sound (over and above the standard TMB&P). The focus up to now  has really been on the routing and FX. I'd also like to know how important it is to run it into an FRFR setup or whether really good results can be got running it into the power section of a valve amp and guitar cab.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited September 2015
    Damn....The guitarguitar video has sent my GAS into overdrive. Having only just bought another guitar and with a house move on the horizon, could the timing be any worse?!! Time to sell some gear I think.

Cracking demo and what a monster player. Certainly puts the Anderton's tomfoolery and needless fret wanking into perspective.

Have resigned myself to the fact it's only a matter of time til I get one at this rate.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    hywelg said:

FYI, the new THR NAILS that tone easy peasy like. It's looking more possible that I will get over to the amp day in Nottm. Might not be for long but should be able to make it.

Ross, that would be great. Now at our last demo day @paulmapp8306 brought his AXe FXII  and we had a go at trying to get his Blackface patch sound like my Blackface Dr Z. To get it close, and it was close in the end, we had to use a graphic EQ  and drop some of the top end, and then push the high mids.

I haven't seen, though i believe there is one in the Helix, anyone demo how to tweak the amp profiles using a graphic EQ, and what other options there are fro fine tuning the raw amp sound (over and above the standard TMB&P). The focus up to now  has really been on the routing and FX. I'd also like to know how important it is to run it into an FRFR setup or whether really good results can be got running it into the power section of a valve amp and guitar cab.
    On the demo earlier when he was scrolling through the blocks there was "amp" "amp+cab" and "preamps" so it can be used as a preamp only.
  • hugbot said:
    hywelg said:

On the demo earlier when he was scrolling through the blocks there was "amp" "amp+cab" and "preamps" so it can be used as a preamp only.
    There's also a vid from that monster player bloke from Line 6 called Sean that shows him running a modelled Deluxe Preamp into his Bogner Duende's poweramp.

Can't wait for the end of the month......
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1005
    edited September 2015
    I've been following this thread out of general interest in whatever new gear is on the way with absolutely no intention of buying the helix. TBH I was kind of confused as to why everyone was getting so excited about it. I have to say, after watching the guitarguitar demo by the line 6 guy I was absolutely blown away. 

First off the guy's a great guitar player with a really great natural tasteful style, none of those boring shreddy same old same old licks. 

Secondly the Helix sounds amazing. I didn't realise modelling had come on so far. The univibe was amazing. Vibe pedals are notoriously difficult to model due to the whole photocell thing but this sounded great. I hated the vibe on my strymon mobius.

Third, something that has always annoyed me about multi fx is the treadle pedal is always crappy. The travel on them always seems very limited with a completely different feel to a dedicated external expression pedal. This one looks great. Loads of travel and looks to be as smooth as my ernie ball junior. 

I'd be seriously interested in trying out the helix. The only thing that puts me off is if it goes wrong you're screwed. You've lost your entire set up. If I was going to spend that sort of cash to be my entire setup i'd want a 5 year warranty or better a la the awesome Boss stuff.

Also, I REALLY REALLY hope that this new FX modelling will be used to release an updated HELIX M9/M5 with proper footswitches that don't crap out after 5 mins and a readable screen. Can you imagine how cool a Helix M9 would be. I'd be first in queue!

• Not sure if these have been posted before, but here's a few more clips of the Helix on Soundcloud.  Quite a nice mixture of tones there.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Here's the thing... I'm moving towards doing more vocals. My desire to get a Helix doesn't really come from the tone side of things. It's all workflow. I'm sure the effects are going to be great - I intend to use it with my real valve amp anyway. The modelling I'll use for recording demos (replace my Kemper most likely).

Being able to have some presets that I can switch between whilst singing at the same time is basically what I'm after.
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited September 2015
    I raised this question on the Line 6 site but as a newbie there the first post is moderated and it seems to have disappeared into the ether so no idea if or when it will appear.

I gather that there are pre-amp blocks and combined pre amp/power amp blocks but no standalone power amp blocks.  To my simple mind that suggests that

Onboard Fx -> Onboard Pre-Amp -> Onboard Fx -> Onboard Power Amp

is not achievable.  Is that correct or can the preamp bit of the combined block be switched off?  Or is there some other way of doing it for those not intending to use a real amp?
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • Fair question, I don't think I've seen any block dedicated to pre OR power amp yet. Perhaps there's a bypass mode for either within an amp block?
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    My post at Line 6 has returned from the ether and received this answer:

"You can create a very close approximation of an effects loop by placing any post effects after the amp block and before the cab block. It's true that this doesn't fall between the preamp and power amp stages as in a real amp, but it still works out to give your post effects after the amp gain."
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    siremoon said:
    My post at Line 6 has returned from the ether and received this answer:

"You can create a very close approximation of an effects loop by placing any post effects after the amp block and before the cab block. It's true that this doesn't fall between the preamp and power amp stages as in a real amp, but it still works out to give your post effects after the amp gain."
    Same as on the Axe FX II from what I remember. Even the Kemper doesn't really allow you to do this.
    Well.... Sold the Kemper.... Just need line 6 to hurry up now!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting that you've sold the Kemper before demoing the Helix personally.  I'm still torn between buying the Kemper, the Helix, or waiting a bit longer to see how much the Ax8 is going to cost.  I'm guessing the Ax8 will be out of my price range, but Cliff from Fractal posted on a different forum and said that people are going to be surprised at the cost of it.  We'll see I guess.
    Interesting that you've sold the Kemper before demoing the Helix personally.  I'm still torn between buying the Kemper, the Helix, or waiting a bit longer to see how much the Ax8 is going to cost.  I'm guessing the Ax8 will be out of my price range, but Cliff from Fractal posted on a different forum and said that people are going to be surprised at the cost of it.  We'll see I guess.
    I was planning on selling the Kemper even if I don't get the Helix - mainly coz I wasn't using it, and since moving house I've been using my valve amps a lot more.

The Helix decision will depend on a lot of workflow factors. I'm pretty convinced the modelling and sound quality are going to be top tier tbh.
  • I'm certainly hoping so.  The Helix is the cheaper of the options I have and on the face of it, seems to do the most.  If the models and effects are up to scratch, it's a no-brainer really.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    edited September 2015
    So do those of you who own lots of drive pedals and things like the H9, Strymons etc see the Helix replacing the lot?

I know the effects are yet to be tested and that with the loops you can keep your favourite pedals, but one of the biggest draws of the Helix for me is that it could potentially be the only thing I have on the floor.

However replacing an H9 Max could be a tall order.
    DavusPG said:
    So do those of you who own lots of drive pedals and things like the H9, Strymons etc see the Helix replacing the lot?

I know the effects are yet to be tested and that with the loops you can keep your favourite pedals, but one of the biggest draws of the Helix for me is that it could potentially be the only thing I have on the floor.

I'm not planning on replacing my H9. I'm planning on using the H9 to fill in the gaps that the Helix will have in it's effects - like the reverse delay for instance, and some more featured modulated reverb stuff.
  • DavusPG said:

Yes, I pretty much would want to be able to replace my whole live board with it, at least for the blues/pop band I am in. Otherwise I don't really see the point. Even better would be if for shows with tiny stages, the helix can also replace the amp, and it becomes the only thing I take to gig. For bigger shows I would stick the amp in the helix loops, unless helix' sims blow me away.

However I would not get rid of my pedal board, mainly as it has some really nice analogue fx on it, as well as some wacky stuff. I can see this board becoming my recording and practice board, waiting for a time when I get into a more experimental band. I mean I love playing with pedals and making silly noises and I am not sure that is as much fun with a multi fx...

• DavusPG said:

We'll see.....I have a board crammed with a few Strymons - TL, Flint, Ola, a Dejavibe, full compliment of mini Xotics (SP, SL and EP), a Fulldrive etc and whilst I'm looking at the Helix as a replacement for giging, whether the pedals will get sold will depend on the performance of Mr Helix in a live environment.

I have also just bought a DT25 with the view to running a dual amp set-up with my Rivera, just thinking of using the DT as the amp running different amp flavours to compliment the Rivera - so Rivera running my base tone with the DT putting in a bit of whatever I need over the top and then having the ability to run both (hopefuly switchable through L6 link and with normal amp switching capabilty of the Helix) as a true Stereo rig.

What has attracted me the most is the loss of patch cables - OK, my current board is static on a Pedaltrain etc, but I can't help thinking that to lose that maze of cables is going to tidy up my on stage area!!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    GAS is a strange thing, I've trimmed my live setup down to a tuner and a delay pedal, and really want one of these :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom