Nigel Kennedy - Plays Hendrix

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    You say that like it's a good thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72621
    I saw him doing some of that a few years ago. I loved the concept and I really wanted to like the result, but sadly it was appalling.

He just has absolutely no feel for rock, despite being a fantastic classical virtuoso. The violin tone he got through a little Rivera amp was excruciating too.

I also saw something he did with Jeff Beck in the same vein, and I'm not sure which of them sounded worse...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    ICBM said:
    I saw him doing some of that a few years ago. I loved the concept and I really wanted to like the result, but sadly it was appalling.

He just has absolutely no feel for rock, despite being a fantastic classical virtuoso. The violin tone he got through a little Rivera amp was excruciating too.

I also saw something he did with Jeff Beck in the same vein, and I'm not sure which of them sounded worse...
    Didn't put an album out? I remember his rendition of Purple Haze appearing on the Guitarist mag cd. It was bloody awful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    If it's anything like the previous ones he's done, it would be good to avoid it. He's an amazing classical musician but can't play rock with any feel whatsoever.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    This at 5:50

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited June 2015
    08:49 FTW
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12421
    SidNewton said:
    ICBM said:

Didn't put an album out? I remember his rendition of Purple Haze appearing on the Guitarist mag cd. It was bloody awful.
    I wrote into the mag and complained after they put him in....something along the lines of " Violins? Isn't this supposed to be a guitar magazine? What next, Derek Guyler playing All Along the Watchtower on the spoons?"
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30310
    Vanessa Mae used to play Hendrix stuff. She was pretty good.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Sassafras said:
    Her version of Hocus Pocus is awesome
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    Handsome_Chris;667551" said:
    08:49 FTW
    I've never seen that before! Literally crying at that. Thanks for the heads up...

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6907
    As no one as linked the offending material I will. Just in case anyone was actually thinking of booking tickets!

[-X
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited June 2015
    Sassafras said:
    Her version of Hocus Pocus is awesome
    Her version of Pop Looks Bach was even better - unbelievably so, in fact.

(Google it, if you don't know ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Listened to Kennedy until 02:10 ... utter shite
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Listened to Kennedy until 02:10 ... utter shite
    I lasted until 1:04. He should get out his Big Book Of Music Basics and look up "riff".

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    This is Kennedy playing purple haze this year, it's a fucking disgrace.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1282

No, got to 1:57 and had to stop it.

mrchi said:
    This is Kennedy playing purple haze this year, it's a fucking disgrace.
    To be fair (sort of) to Kennedy, it's almost as bad when he isn't actually playing. The rest of them are abysmal as well.

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1282

Classical musicians playing rock.....Sky.....need we say more.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3094
    He's an Aston Villa fan, what do you expect?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

Rowby1 said:

Classical musicians playing rock.....Sky.....need we say more.

Sky were brilliant by comparison with this load of tosh - I've got their first two albums and they're surprisingly good. They had far more a of a feel for what they were trying to play, and much more in the way of actual arrangements instead of self-indulgent soloing over the top of the same constant backing. And much less dreadful tone.