I normally don't like "help me pick an amp" threads...

What's Hot
Si_Si_ Frets: 384
However.. I can't decide between a Mesa Mark V Head, or a CAA OD-100.

Anyone use both and can give a comparison? or even opinions on each individually.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    Get an Axe FX II.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What do you want from an amp?
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I want a good rock amp, 2 channels minimum, FX loop.

Problem is both we good deals and both are good amps:(
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited October 2013
    Honestly still think that s/h EVH 5150 iii 100 watter is worth a look if still at Richtone. PS Coda had 2 halfstacks at one point and were willing to split a head for about a grand when I asked a while ago. You could send those back via distance sellers if they're not what you're after. If they are you could save yourself plenty of cash over a Mark V or CAA
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Yup, I'd go 5150III. Actually I even have a bit of a boner for the 50-watt version right now, but likewise with the Kemper, cannot really justify it!!
    Fuuuuuuuuccc--

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/evh_5150_iii_hd_100w_tube_amplifier_head_2nd_hand.asp

That is a good price. I'd jump on it personally.
    The EVH just doesn't appeal for some reason.
    Is it the whole "metal" perception??
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Kemper. :)
    It's the branding I think, I have an EVh guitar and phase 90 don't want to start looking like a fanboy
  • Why not go all out and get one of these bad boys!
    http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/roscoe2911/117416_16427_zps712991b8.jpg

In all seriousness, there is a normal version of this with a shit name but a monster spec. Would love to try one.
  • Si_ said:
    It's the branding I think, I have an EVh guitar and phase 90 don't want to start looking like a fanboy
    Understandable, but I still think it is worth a look by your requirements.

To play devils advocate - you could possibly remove the badge (the one on the cab I have is attached by allen screws and maybe a spot of glue).

Furthermore, you could return the EVH head to Richtone/Coda and get a refund if you didn't like the tone.  If you buy a Mark or CAA privately and don't like it you've got to sell it privately yourself, which is often hassle at the high end of the price range (less buyers!).  You've tried a Mark V so know what to expect but a CAA purchase would be near blind in comparison.
    I only spent about 15 mins with the Mark V so not really a good test. 

I'm rather rubbish settling with an amp so I'm expecting to need several weeks to get used to whatever I get. 
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Iirc you re at Ncl? There was a evhiii 50 and 1-2 OD variants at guitar guitar when I was there on Saturday. They got mesas too but don't remember which ones.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    CAA, definitely.
    I have the 50 watter and it is the best amp I've ever owned- and I've owned some killers.

The Mark V is great and I would like to have one but they take longer to pull sounds- the CAA is quick, closer to set and forget and closer to the Marshall tone I know you love.
    It does modern tones as well- feedback and presence on the back control the amount of 'vintage/modern'.

The 5150 III 100 watt is great too.

I prefer the CAA to both of these.
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Kemper. :)
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited October 2013
    6505+ head. Only 2 channels, but has 'crunch' on the clean so effectively 3 channels with clean and crunch sharing EQ.  

Or the CAA.  :) Only because I've never played one, but they're nice to look at... The Mk V left me underwhelmed and overwhelmed all at once - it'd be worth spending a lot of time with it.
    octatonic said:
    CAA, definitely.
    I have the 50 watter and it is the best amp I've ever owned- and I've owned some killers.

The Mark V is great and I would like to have one but they take longer to pull sounds- the CAA is quick, closer to set and forget and closer to the Marshall tone I know you love.
    It does modern tones as well- feedback and presence on the back control the amount of 'vintage/modern'.

The 5150 III 100 watt is great too.

I prefer the CAA to both of these.
    I'm not sure the OD-100 Classic can compare to your PT-50.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd vote for the EVH too - I've had a lot of amps and it's a very very good rock amp but if you really want the mesa or caa then for me it would come down to how you would use the channels.  I think the CAA sounds slightly better (for what I play) but the mesa is probably flexible - if you can really live with two channels get the CAA if you need 3 or more channels then look elsewhere.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Only issue with Mesa amps I find is that they are a pain to dial in usually. Too many knobs is their thing. 

But seriously I haven't tried the Mark V myself, so my opinion is only based on experience of their older models.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway