The philosophy thread

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Over a cold beer I thought about an age old question:

Is giving birth more painful than getting kicked in the bollocks?

Women always maintain that giving birth is far more painful than a bloke getting kicked in the bollocks.

Well, after another beer,  and some heavy deductive thinking, I have come up with the answer to that question.

Getting kicked in the bollocks is more painful than having a baby; and here is the reason for my conclusion.

A year or so after  giving birth, a woman will often say, "It might be nice to have another child."

On the other hand, you never hear a bloke say, "You know, I think I'd like another kick in the bollocks."

I rest my case. Time for another beer. 

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    A woman can only suffer the pain every 9 months.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And after she's had two or three, it barely leaves a dent.

Women like to hype up this "we go through more pain thing" because it is the *only* point of our physical form that they win on. In all other respects, men are vastly superior.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2013

They're doing it wrong ;-)

We did a lot of preparation for our kids births. Both were home births, the first in a birthing pool and that was a fantastic experience for all of us. No drugs or pain relief at all....no screaming, just concentration and breathing working with the contractions.

Afterwards my wife described it as 'uncomfortable' but not painful. Nothing like the media portrail of birth, which is quite damaging to a lot of women as that's what they're expecting, which causes them to be tense which is totally counterproductive.

Slightly more difficult for our second son, but the midwives were getting bored (or approaching the end of their shift) so they started talking about transfering to hosiptal (the contractions weren't regular enough) so they got her our of the pool. That gave my wife the impetus to go for one big push with the next contraction and out he popped. Again no paiin relief or medical intervention.

Of course we were lucky in that both were in good positions (the second had been breech but he turned a couple of weeks before the due date) but it doesn't have to be all screaming.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    is it really a philosophy thread? ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

We did a lot of preparation for our kids births. Both were home births, the first in a birthing pool and that was a fantastic experience for all of us. No drugs or pain relief at all....no screaming, just concentration and breathing working with the contractions.

Hope she did a poo first. Last thing I would want as a child is the subconscious memory of being dropped in a puddle of watery shite.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Drew_fx said:

Hope she did a poo first. Last thing I would want as a child is the subconscious memory of being dropped in a puddle of watery shite.
    When you have a birth pool it's advisable to have a sieve close at hand for just that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Well I'm off to the Philosophers Arms after work for a bit of binge thinking ....

Catch you later ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited October 2013
    Men are pathetic when it comes to the old kick in the balls argument. It's embarrassing for me as a male. I've had worse pain than a kick in the balls (including accidentally hitting myself in the balls when I was already having pain in the left ball and laid me out on the floor for twenty minutes).

When I had surgery to block a varicose vein in my ball, they had to puncture a vein in my groin. They had trouble finding it because it was buried deep, and all the rummaging around was painful enough even with anaesthetic. But when they punctured the vein, worst pain ever. It was only for less than a second, but still...

As for prolonged pain, when my gallstones have acted up, christ. My future mother in law has had them and has said it's worse than childbirth. I think I could take pushing a baby out of my minge if I had one.
    My V key is broken
  • People have been asking this question forever yet no-one ever thinks to ask a hermaphrodite.

One think I do know is that each time my wife gives birth the incidences of me getting clouted in the bollocks rises sharply.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    People have died from shock post ball kick. It is a pretty awful thing to do to someone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Childbirth? Pah. "It stings!!!!!!!!!!!!!" she said, "You'll be fine. Pleased that's a leather sofa...", said I (home birth).

Try a burst gastric ulcer and a near death experience. 'Ya fucka' doesn't come near to the pain. Nor does the paramedic saying in the ambeeelance on the way to the hospital "We can't legally give you any more morphine Jason......" as it didn't even touch the pain. And fuck speed humps too. Knew they were coming when the driver said "Sorry...."
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
     Like passing a mellon she said, not sure if she meant me or her.

They love the attention.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    Mind you it was a bit of a shock to find that walls in maternity departments are thicker than most.

ROOG said:
    Mind you it was a bit of a shock to find that walls in maternity departments are thicker than most.
    Struggled to get a glory hole going???
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx said:
    ROOG said:
    Struggled to get a glory hole going???

Fucking hell Drew, you've got issues.

I'm not complaining mind. Generally the most entertaining things I read all day. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Apparently the pain from a kidney stone is closer to the pain of giving birth than a kick in the cricket set.

And you don't get 9 months' warning of a kidney stone either. The pain is incredible.
    Our drummer has kidney stones. Has to have some laser zappy thing treatment. Said it was all jolly unpleasant.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    scrumhalf said:
    Apparently the pain from a kidney stone is closer to the pain of giving birth than a kick in the cricket set.

And you don't get 9 months' warning of a kidney stone either. The pain is incredible.
    but at least you don't have to feed, clothe, educate and buy a 1st car for a kidney stone, so it's better from the POV.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I passed a kidney stone a few years back. Reading Marcus Aurelius did not help me one fucking bit.