If you could design your own amp..

What's Hot

Comments

• I'm not convinced that my 'dream amp' would actually sound good because I've tried sending amp preamps do different amp poweramps before and the results weren't amazing.

My Mesa roadster is the closest thing to something I'd design myself, if it could be modified this is what I'd do -

- Knobs you can actually see, silver knobs with gold dots are a terrible idea.
    - Optional cab sim on the slave output, for straight to desk without buying another unit.
    - Midi (again without having to buy more gear!)

Dream amp options would be:

- 5150 iii 3rd channel instead of the Modern option on the Orange Channel, and the Raw mode on the Red Channel, to allow for cloning]

- Something other than the Brit mode on channel 2.  Maybe a Vox mode, or another tweed mode but with more gain.

+ A multi FX unit for retards to go with the above, one with really big letters, lots of space between the buttons, and super obvious menus so I don't get confused if I need to tweak something quickly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Rumour has it that the new H&K Grandmeister competently covers most of the requirements mentioned - http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/hughes-kettner-grandmeister-36-amp-head-585689
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    StefB said:
    Rumour has it that the new H&K Grandmeister competently covers most of the requirements mentioned - http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/hughes-kettner-grandmeister-36-amp-head-585689
    Very impressive specs! :-O 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited October 2013
    CAA already make it- Fender cleans, Marshall crunch with proper modern hi-gain.
    Also has a great master and loop.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    edited October 2013
    JohnPerry;65744" said:
    stickyfiddle said:

AC30 with a proper master volume, switchable to 15W and weighed sub-20kg. I can but dream..

Isn't that a Hayseed 30?
    *Goes and googles*

Why yes, it appears to be. Top of my shopping list then!!!

EDIT: 10 minutes of YouTube later and I'm sold, but probably the 15W version. I wonder if he ships to the UAE...?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    @johnperry

Srsly, how did I not already know about this Hayseed thing? I really want one now, and if I sold my Mesa, would be a large part of the way to paying for one...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    lots of chat in the States about them. Though actually those who've A/Bd with the Vox AC15HW1X (that's the latest entirely hand-wired job with a Celestion Blue) often prefer the Vox. That Vox does have a great rep

• In an earlier thread I wrote

What I'd like is the brilliant channel of a non top boost AC-30 in a 1x12 box, light enough to carry in one hand. Which I fancy building myself...

With a blue speaker obviously.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    edited October 2013
    I'm not convinced that my 'dream amp' would actually sound good because I've tried sending amp preamps do different amp poweramps before and the results weren't amazing.

My Mesa roadster is the closest thing to something I'd design myself, if it could be modified this is what I'd do -

- Knobs you can actually see, silver knobs with gold dots are a terrible idea.
    - Optional cab sim on the slave output, for straight to desk without buying another unit.
    - Midi (again without having to buy more gear!)

Dream amp options would be:

tweed mode but with more gain.

+ A multi FX unit for retards to go with the above, one with really big letters, lots of space between the buttons, and super obvious menus so I don't get confused if I need to tweak something quickly.
      Dinggg! we have a winner!  You just described exactly what I wish my Digitech BP350 was actually like.  I truly believe, at one point in time, a bass player stole the designer's girl, and/or pissed in his cereal, and now he harbors a grudge for all bassists.

My flight 'o fancy:

Must give both bright/glassy old school Fender cleans, and warm bluesy cleans.   Clean channels would have plenty of headroom for live playing, but also be able to crunch up ( in a vintage Neil Young/ Alice Cooper way) easily at bedroom levels.  This may be accomplished via 2 channels, or by a Blackstar-esque voicing feature.  It would likely need a power reduction function to handle the bedroom level.  I like the one Blackstar uses on their Series One amps- ie a sweepy knob rather than a notched this, this, or that knob.

Must have a good medium gain crunch channel.  I'd likely live here much of the time.  Again, vintage voiced.  Even better- TWO crunch channels.  One voiced for US vintage, the other for Brit vintage.  This could also be done with a voicing switch- as long as it works.  Should range from smooth warm/compressed clean thru blues to classic rawk growl.  This channel should have a boost as well.

Also must have a good lead channel.  Nothing too high gain, but it should be capable of dynamic searing leads.  With solo and gain boosts.  This should be more '80's voiced, for when I want to play it hot!

Switching between channels needs to be smooth and seamless.

_ independant gain, volume, and eq's for each channel, or possibly a preset/patch arrangement.  ( so I can jump back and forth between my Strat/Tele, and my hb guitars without extensive knob twirling)

_ master volume, presence and resonance.

- GREAT spring reverb.  must be able to go from just a touch all the way up to balls-out Surf/psychobilly.
    - GREAT tremolo.

analog Delay.  From slapback to Gilmour.  needs level, speed, and feedback controls. Also has multi-tap and modulated options.
      analog Chorus.  Depth, speed, level, and tone controls.  Plus a multi chorus option.
      if they threw in an old school flanger as well, I wouldn't cry about it.  Fuck it- just throw a 4 knob flanger in there as well.  For everything from old school sounds to jet enginey swoosh.

Chicken head knobs- so you can easily see where you've set them.

Effects loop.  The amp must play well with pedals
     XLR out  Switchable speaker emulated.

combos would have external speaker jacks, with an on/off switch for the internal speakers.

headphone jack- also switchable speaker emulated. ( can use same controls as above)

built in tuner- Mustang/Snark style  ( Ie lcd shows the note played, plus colored lights for sharp and flat.), so it can handle any tuning.

2 footswitch jacks- I like how Fender does this on the Mustangs.  1 for channel switching/ presets/ tuner, and 1 for fx- w/ buttons for: 1/ea reverb, tremolo, delay and chorus. plus the boost functions.  * switches should NOT cut off any delay/ reverb tails- those should fade out naturally.  Switching it off affects only notes played after the change.

The preamp may be all valve or hybrid.  Separate high and low input sockets.  ( the high is switchable between a 4-5 db cut, and a bright input)

Power amp:  self biasing,  can use 6V6, EL-84, EL-34, 6L6, or KT-88.  Perhaps even several separate sections.  one for 2-4 6v6/el-84, one for 2-4 6l6/el-34, and one for KT-88.

Should come in head only, 2x12, and 4x10 versions.

In other words, I want a single amp that can do Blackface AND Tweed, Peavey Classic/ Delta Blues, Plexi, AC, HiWatt, and silvertone sounds- convincingly.  With tweakable vintage effects, AND modern conveniences.  So, kind of a Blackstar Series One 4 channel, combined with an H&K Triamp and a Coreblade, meets a Tweed Deluxe, an AC 30, and a Plexi.  ( with a Delta Blues somewhere in it's family tree, too - just for good measure!)

Most importantly, it needs a talent booster function!  It also needs to come with it's own pallet jack or roadie to lug this backbreakingly heavy beast around for me.

I do, however, love the simplicity of the single volume knob clean channels on the Super Champ X2, and Peavey Classic series.  That one pot will take you from pristine cleans to dirty/compressed to smooth drive.  Even farther on the Peavey.
  • octatonic said:
    CAA already make it- Fender cleans, Marshall crunch with proper modern hi-gain.
    Also has a great master and loop.
    +1000

There is no better channel switcher currently available that can touch the PT100.

Plenty of other great amps which have one strong channel and the other just, meh...
    but both channels in the PT are equally as strong if you covet Fender blackface cleans and
    vintage through to modern Marshall crunch all in one box.

I get the feeling not everyone has checked these amps out, probably dismissed because of
    the high price...but then quality costs and you get what you pay for 
    ;)
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited October 2013
    Give me a Princeton Reverb in a head form, or a 2x10 combo format please. B-) That said, the Mini Rectifier is pretty perfect already, adding a digital reverb would top it off nicely.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    FretKing said:
    I get the feeling not everyone has checked these amps out, probably dismissed because of
    ;)
    To be fair, it might be because there's like one dealer in the whole of the UK who stocks them. I'd definitely have tried one by now if they were easier to find. I always hear they're almost the ultimate channel switcher, if you need all the tones to be good.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    I hate the fact that it's almost impossible to get hold of a lot of the real killer amps in the US.

I've got a Superdrive 80 incoming though, so I'll see how that works out.
    Didn't jive with my Mrak V.

I prefer Marshally tones.
  • FretKingFretKing Frets: 53
    edited October 2013

Dave_Mc said:
    FretKing said:
    ;)
    To be fair, it might be because there's like one dealer in the whole of the UK who stocks them. I'd definitely have tried one by now if they were easier to find. I always hear they're almost the ultimate channel switcher, if you need all the tones to be good.
    I hear ya but respectfully thats not the case...you have a choice of 8 stores reasonably spread throughout the UK...

Guitar Guitar has 5 stores (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Birmingham, Epsom)
    Toneworld is in Manchester
    Peach Guitars is in Essex
    Sounds Great in Cheshire

If your going to spend +£2500 on a piece of gear surely its worth a few hours travel & expense ?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    Well it was the case when I was looking :)) I think sounds great was the only dealer when I was looking several years ago.

None in Ireland, I notice... ;)
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Well it was the case when I was looking :)) I think sounds great was the only dealer when I was looking several years ago.

None in Ireland, I notice... ;)
    Cheap flight to Glasgow, head for Guitar Guitar...sorted !

:)
  • Take a bunch if classic amp in a rack. The have a massive attenuator that brings me all back to line level -->FX loop--> solid state power amp -> speaker switching unit.

Before the inputs about 10 switchable loops the first couple being unbuffered (for fuzz). The FX loop would have another 10 loops.

The while thing would be switchable via midi. Oh yes should come with a full complement of road crew and amp techs.
  • Mine would be a 50w SLO with a post MV effects loop that kept the SLO tone intact and well I already built it so i'm all good.