If you could design your own amp..

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2013
    Well. sounds like the CAE PT100 might be my sort of thing, but as a 50 watter. I'd also have the Egnater Tweaker facility, i. e. allowing you to duplicate any of the channels so you'd be able to have a variation of each and 6 sounds at your disposal. Intelligent voltage detection and wattage options ala my Tubemeister 36. Add a H&K Red Box or other decent speaker simulated out, keep it light and that's me done.
    EDIT: a common theme here seems to be the need for Fender cleans, Blackface or Tweed sounds
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably something like an axe-fx2, with a built in power amp and costs under £500.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    FretKing said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Well it was the case when I was looking :)) I think sounds great was the only dealer when I was looking several years ago.

None in Ireland, I notice... ;)
    Cheap flight to Glasgow, head for Guitar Guitar...sorted !

:)
    Yeah but I don't need one now. :)) I'd need a flux capacitor for that idea to work. :))
  • More of a fledgling idea than a fully formed articulation of my perfect amp but I'll throw this into the ring...

Housed in a 212 combo format... A nonMV jtm45/ac30/jmp/jcm (ie classic) head of your choice.  This has inbuilt power scaling which feeds one of the 2 speakers, there is also a tap from the speaker output taken down to instrument level which is the send of your fx loop.  

You plug your delay/reverb/chorus/whatever into this and back into the receive of the fx loop.  This then feeds a lightweight but powerful clean and flat power amp which drives the other speaker and has only a volume knob to worry about.

It's a self contained post-power amp drive wet dry rig.  
    Of course I would also like it to weigh nothing and cost less than a £100.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

A 50W dual channel tweed Bandmaster with the reverb and tremolo from a brownface Vibroverb with a tube driven FX loop switchable in series/parallel topped off with a built in power-soak..  Yep I think that would do me.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Kebabkid said:
    Well. sounds like the CAE PT100 might be my sort of thing, but as a 50 watter. I'd also have the Egnater Tweaker facility, i. e. allowing you to duplicate any of the channels so you'd be able to have a variation of each and 6 sounds at your disposal. Intelligent voltage detection and wattage options ala my Tubemeister 36. Add a H&K Red Box or other decent speaker simulated out, keep it light and that's me done.
    EDIT: a common theme here seems to be the need for Fender cleans, Blackface or Tweed sounds

Close to London? Come try my PT50.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2013
    octatonic said:
    Kebabkid said:

@Cheers James and that's very kind of you. I'm not that far from West London (45 mins drive) and so if I know I'm over that way at either of the Chandler shops, I'll let you know. Alternatively, some of us are discussing a SE Gearfest (probably in the New Year) and it would be great to have you down with your rig as I know you missed the last one.

I'll let you know and thanks once again for the kind offer.

:D
  • I want sturdy well-lit pop-out cup holders so I've got somewhere I can safely put my pint without spilling it inside the amp.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Best design idea yet...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Kebabkid said:
    octatonic said:
    Kebabkid said:

@Cheers James and that's very kind of you. I'm not that far from West London (45 mins drive) and so if I know I'm over that way at either of the Chandler shops, I'll let you know. Alternatively, some of us are discussing a SE Gearfest (probably in the New Year) and it would be great to have you down with your rig as I know you missed the last one.

I'll let you know and thanks once again for the kind offer.

:D
    No worries, let me know.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
      Yep- I'm sold on the cup holder idea as well!

Since someone reminded me, I really liked the power scaling options Fender put on the Clapton sig 2x12.  ( shutting off one speaker for the low power setting, etc.)
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    Frank at JPF just showed me what I would have said - hand-wired 100watt bass amp running on 2 6550s with an Ampeg style mid-range circuit booster /cutter.  Basically a V4B but hand-wired, built, designed and assembled in the UK from the most quality parts you could find.  In a custom head with handles on both sides.  30-40 pounds at most.

Now if he could build me one PRONTO I would be SUPER psyched

• The Fender Mustang Concert.

A louder, more robust Mustang with a simplified interface to access those tasty Fender voicings and carefully selected effects.

Complete with footswitch and vinyl amp cover.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited February 2014
    Give me a Princeton Reverb in a head form, or a 2x10 combo format please. B-) That said, the Mini Rectifier is pretty perfect already, adding a digital reverb would top it off nicely.
    Thread revival time.

So, a couple of months after this I bought an Express 5:25 combo. It's frikkin brilliant, and is very close to everything I want in an amp. 

I need to try the Plus model though as I could do with a bit of an earlier breakup on channel 1 in clean mode ideally. Other than that, a 1-watt mode would be great too, and I'd like to be able to try it with 6v6s instead - even though it already sounds great.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I like this thread revival. We should all be getting our dream amp instead of just talking about it.
    I have no idea why I am not pursuing the Cornell. It would be the worlds most basic Champ clone ever and it would be awesome.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I think if i could design any amp i'd go for this:

Cornford RK100 Drive channel and power section, but cut down to 50w, with an option to halve the power again to 25w. The cleaner side of the amp would be a simple master volume, bass, treble channel similar to that on the Orange TH30. 

I wouldnt go for lots of tone shaping switches, just good old fashioned knob tweaking, but i would have a headshell that could accomodate two rack units (kinda like Brunetti do) and in that i'd have a rack tuner and a rack effects.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    Lonestar special with an additional Brit-voiced crunch channel and I'm there. Rumour was that Suhr would make a Badger-sized switcher, like a smaller PT which I d like to check out.. maybe next year
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    AC30 with a proper master volume, switchable to 15W and weighed sub-20kg. I can but dream..

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    In an earlier thread I wrote

What I'd like is the brilliant channel of a non top boost AC-30 in a 1x12 box, light enough to carry in one hand. Which I fancy building myself...

With a blue speaker obviously.
    Is that like an AC10 twin (with one driver)?