Pickups?

What's Hot
Any recommendations out there for a pick-up for a steel-strung acoustic that retains the natural sound of the guitar but doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    edited October 2013
    LR Baggs M1. (Or the slightly more expensive active version.)

It's not the cheapest but it's not *that* expensive, and it is the best (in my opinion). It also has next to no installation cost - none if you can ream out the endpin hole yourself - and can be moved from one guitar to another if you want to upgrade, so may save money in the long run.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2927

I have one of these, and I find it very good for the money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Acoustic-Guitar-Passive-Soundhole/dp/B0000WS5TQ

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Just got a K&K Pure Mini in my most recent acquisition.  I think it sounds more natural than an under saddle or soundhole pickup on their own.  Undersaddle or soundhole blender systems are really good but don't meet your requirement for not costing an arm and a leg.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    ICBM said:
    LR Baggs M1. (Or the slightly more expensive active version.)

It's not the cheapest but it's not *that* expensive, and it is the best (in my opinion). It also has next to no installation cost - none if you can ream out the endpin hole yourself - and can be moved from one guitar to another if you want to upgrade, so may save money in the long run.
    Baggs also made the Takamine Triax, which is I think essentially the same pickup (or as near as, as it uses the same technology). The Triax is hard to get hold of new now, but there are a few floating around secondhand. Sounds really good and cheaper than the Baggs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom