pro level acoustic for gigs

What's Hot
I know I have asked this question before. My daughter is looking to upgrade from her faith Saturn. Her management are getting her to do lots of gigs,charity events, and festivals and she feels the Faith is mot cutting it anymore. She tells me it sounds to "twangy". So needs to be strong to stand up to life being gigged with a good electrical acoustic sound ,stay in tune . Basically a tool to do the job. Price, not the main issue, but say up to a grand s/h or new... Thoughts
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    Second Hand Martin D28 with a LR Baggs M1 or anthem fitted or maybe a Gibson J45.
    New she could get a Martin 15 series and add a pick up/transducer etc.
    What kind of music is she playing and is image important?

• musicegbdfmusicegbdf Frets: 409
    https://m.soundcloud.com/bea-munro/over-now

Here is one of her songs, but the guitar is for her acoustic sets.
    If you go into her sound cloud thing you will see a pic with her faith.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited June 2015
    Her management should get in touch with someone like Auden guitars and see if they'll sponsor her with a good deal on one of their guitars in exchange for a bit of promotion.....
    Hey Lewy, now that is an idea...did not think of that.. Don't know Auden will look them up...
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Get a Lowden, I gigged two extensively in the late 90s and they never went out of tune.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    https://m.soundcloud.com/bea-munro/over-now

Here is one of her songs, but the guitar is for her acoustic sets.
    If you go into her sound cloud thing you will see a pic with her faith.
    Lovely stuff - she's got a great voice. Maybe a Gibson J200 or Hummingbird.

Alternatively she could go down the Lianne La Havas road and use a funky electric for solo gigs :

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    edited June 2015
    Acoustics are such a personal thing… if she's finding the Faith too 'twangy' I would avoid anything too modern-sounding, they all seem to have that bright/thin type of tone which I personally can't get on with. I'd say the same about Lowden - lovely guitars, but I had one and it just didn't suit me at all… no 'guts', for want of a better term.

I've listened to the Soundcloud track - which is really excellent by the way - and even though I'm aware that's her electric sound, I would second BigLicks67 and strongly suggest a Martin, Gibson, Guild or other traditional American-voiced acoustic - something with solid mids and punch rather than pretty top-end. Martin do some nice ones with good electrics in her price range.

Or if you could find something like a Gibson CJ-165 going second hand… I paid a grand for mine, although I may have been lucky.

Steer clear of Taylor too - they're also on the bright side - at least until the new version of the Expression system has proved more reliable than the old one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Brilliant ,thks guys.
    I don't know much about acoustic electrics. Of the makes mentioned any tips, or as to the best system that comes as standard or we should get fitted?
    Might sound odd, but the most important thing is that she feels confident of the instrument and forget it and get in with the performances..
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11461
    The unfinished Mexican made Martins are are brilliant value for money.  People look down on them because of the HPL back and sides and Stratobond neck but they sound really good - better than a lot of guitars that are 2 or 3 times the price.

One other thing to bear in mind is that the best acoustics are not always the best electros.  You can get something that sounds great plugged in that isn't at all spectacular acoustically.
    The very simple LR Baggs system that comes factory-fitted in the Gibsons is excellent. It only has a volume control - hidden under the rim of the soundhole - but that's all you need if you're playing gigs with a soundman, they hate onboard tone controls :).

I would avoid "electro-acoustics" if possible. You never get as good a guitar at the same price relative to an acoustic with a simple pickup, and the more complex the system, the less reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Many this will check them both out.
    ICBM , you are right and she will not want to mess around at gigs..
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    ICBM said:
    The very simple LR Baggs system that comes factory-fitted in the Gibsons is excellent. It only has a volume control - hidden under the rim of the soundhole - but that's all you need if you're playing gigs with a soundman, they hate onboard tone controls :).

I would avoid "electro-acoustics" if possible. You never get as good a guitar at the same price relative to an acoustic with a simple pickup, and the more complex the system, the less reliable.
    Sorry for the thread hijack...
    @icbm what is the name of the lr baggs system that comes factory fitted?  I've got a new (to me) acoustic going to the shop tomorrow for some work and might enquire about getting said system fitted.
    @icbm what is the name of the lr baggs system that comes factory fitted?  I've got a new (to me) acoustic going to the shop tomorrow for some work and might enquire about getting said system fitted.
    Element.

I have to admit I still prefer a plain passive pickup in the guitar and an external preamp - I'm currently using a Fishman Aura - but if you're going to fit a preamp, this one is as minimal and discreet as they come and is the best-sounding I've tried.

• midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Thanks @icbm

I actually have an external preamp - the PADI.  I have a screw on magnetic pickup that i've used on the rare occasions i've needed to use an acoustic live.

If i was going for just a plane jane, passive pickup fitted in the guitar, to use with my external preamp/di, what would you recomend?
    I've got Fishman AG094s in my two acoustics that I use with the Aura. I doubt they're the best any more for actual pickup tone, but they do work perfectly with the Aura.

The K&K ones get a very good rep usually too - although some people do seem to have less-good experience.

• Furch/Stonebridge are getting a lot of attention at the moment. Supposed to be really well made and sound great and there's also a lot of room to have them take you on and get a custom model etc. I'd say Lowden, but you'd be pretty lucky to find one around £1000. Eggle are another one to look for. Faith are a sub company of PJE so I would imagine sound/feel similar.

Have a look on TFOA.eu - Rudi and his team are great and they have a nice selection (assuming you were ok with buying without playing first) There's an Avalon (Ex Lowden guys) on there and a Steve Henderson signed Breedlove

Tks will check them out.