Ovation

What's Hot

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    Good post, songman! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    I haven't heard one so can't comment. But I like your passion @songman so I'll give you a wow and take your fret cherry :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I don't think they sound bad - certainly not the early full-depth fully-acoustic ones, the further they got away from that the less good they sounded, I think. But they do sound and feel quite different from wooden guitars - so different that I was only partly joking about not judging whether you like acoustic guitars from playing one.

That old one I restored recently sounded genuinely good, in its own way - obviously not like an old Martin or something, but still a good tone. Of the electric ones, I also like the original single-volume-control models the best - again, I felt that as they got more complex they started to sound less good - amplified as well as acoustically.

It's the shape of the body I really can't get past - I just find them immensely awkward to play. I'm not keen on the skinny V necks of the early ones either, that's one of the things they did improve as time went on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    ICBM said:

It's the shape of the body I really can't get past - I just find them immensely awkward to play. I'm not keen on the skinny V necks of the early ones either, that's one of the things they did improve as time went on.
    This.  They just don't sit right.

I shared a house with a guy who had one and it sounded fine, but I just couldn't get on with the shape.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Played one many years ago. I'll never play another.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• honkytonkhonkytonk Frets: 34
    I've always been quite into them ever since I got my first USA one over 20 years. I own four so I'm biased (I also own a Japanese Takamine, a Breedlove and a Yamaha LL so not completely an Ovation fanboy)
    They're maybe a bit uncool now but possibly all it will take is for some hip young things at the top of the charts to be seen with one round his or her neck and prices and desireability will go up again.
    If that happens,or as is the way of things and fashions, fads and tastes change, and with there being no USA Ovations being made anymore, could be worth a giggle if players start clamoring for 60 and 70 year old roundbacks.

In response to the OP,from experience I have found the Elite type multi soundholes do nothing for eliminating feedback. The only way of reducing that from the guitar is either using a notch filter control if the guitar has one or by plugging he holes with those feedback buster rubber thingies.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    I had an Ovation Electric Legend in the 1980's, good neck and sounded reasonable acoustically. It needed to be supported by a strap at all times because of the round back, especially while playing seated.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    GuyBoden said:
    I had an Ovation Electric Legend in the 1980's, good neck and sounded reasonable acoustically. It needed to be supported by a strap at all times because of the round back, especially while playing seated.
    Yep, otherwise they just slide off your lap.
  • songmansongman Frets: 5
    Yes the sliding off the lap is really annoying. I use one of those fake chamois which you can find in most supermarkets to aid in twisting off lids from jampots and the like. Looks a bit funny but it works. Cheers, Bob.
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I had a bit of a thing for them in 2012 had a celebrity which I thought sounded great, then a Mick Thompson sig model which again played well and sounded good, not in a standard acoustic way but in their own way, they all have a usable tone,
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I cannot stand bowl-backs, only ever played one, sounded and felt horrible and awkward.

What is the point of them?

Why do they make them?

Didn't the owners come from an aeronautics background? 
    I think they were trying to apply some of their principles...
    Didn't the owners come from an aeronautics background? 
    I think they were trying to apply some of their principles...
    Charles Kaman started a helicopter company and the bowl backs on Ovations were made of composites, apparently from the same stuff as rotor blades IIRC.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    It might be very high-tech and all that, but you can't really replace the beauty of wood with melted down helicopter blades.
    I don't think!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    They were the sound of 80s electroaccoustics. Jimmy Page and Roy Harper´s Jugula album is the sound of an ovation at its most period correct. I think pickup systems got a lot better than they were back in the day and Kaman´s other brand (Takamine) seems to have replaced them as a go to electro. They have appeared on a lot of really good albums and Al Di Meola soldiers on with his, oblivious to fashion.
    edited July 2015
    Yep I was going to mention about Al!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I think Fripp still uses his too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Al Di Meola, Robert Fripp.

Dare I open the case again?
    :-O

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Evilmags said:
    They were the sound of 80s electroaccoustics. Jimmy Page and Roy Harper´s Jugula album is the sound of an ovation at its most period correct. I think pickup systems got a lot better than they were back in the day and Kaman´s other brand (Takamine) seems to have replaced them as a go to electro. They have appeared on a lot of really good albums and Al Di Meola soldiers on with his, oblivious to fashion.
    Chicago - 'if you leave me now' was the classic ovation sound. Mind you the whole song is lush with aural exciters and spiky reverb so the ovation fits right in there.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've got a Ovation Glen Campbell if anybody is looking to sample Ovation delights :)