USACG Fender Bass VI build planned.

What's Hot
I've committed to this and as usual there seems to be issues getting lefty parts ;)

I've decided to settle for a rh tremolo,
I've got a supplier for the scratchplate.

it's the control plate that's proving a problem - it's a Jagaur control plate it's asymetric...

can I just flip it over - is it rounded?

if so anyone got suggestions for a supplier, please? thanks :)
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Can't wait to see it..

Not sure where you'd get one, but Angela's tends to be the best bet - and they have helped me find odd things before if it isn't on their site. This is it

Looking at the one on their site, the screwholes are beveled (?) but other than that it looks to have flippability :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    ta I've found a place that has the measurements so worst case I can get one made :)
    Well the parts are at home - after I paid parcel force £80 for VAT ... hmm

I'll upload togs for the interested, now to the wudtone thread to phrase what I want from my wudtone.
    Wow Wudtone is cool apply!
  • Get pics up, dude!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In a few days when it's dried :)
    Well, I've talked to Tony at Pickguardian who makes pickguards for USACG and he's recommended Rutters Custom Guitar parts and I will now be getting a Tortie Pickguard from Tony and control plates in cream pearloid plus a lefty jack plate from Rutters.

These guys have been great to talk to :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    photos at home, where I'm not ;) if I get time tonight I may post.
    Tart !

Feedback
    really?
    Yeah, it's like watching an overly prudeish stripper ;)

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh okay...

It's a difficult build as spares for Bass VIs and build specs are hard to come buy, even harder if you factor in the left handedness and my particular quirks.

... it's not as if I'm a young stripper paying my way though uni unwittingly boring you with my life story ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well if Kevin McCleod was over seeing this build he'd note that a tragic accident had dented the body - on the facia and a little on the back.

Also costs are spiralling as the tortoise shell centre-piece and pearloid control surfaces are costing £70 to get delivered and an extra control plate is being custom made due to the left handed nature of the build.

Okay, time to ask @andypwudtone for help.

The body finish is fantastic, marred only by my dropping the bloody thing :(

The headstock is a success but I'm wondering about giving it another go.

When I put the Deep colour coat on the body it drank it up! Not so with the headstock. I sanded this back and tried again - I suspect the mistake I made was putting too much deep colour coat on in one go - I've lost all sense of the grain - it looks okay... but before when it was dark grey it emphasised the grain in quite a nice way - I just didn't want dark grey and the base coat wasn't darkening it too radically.

So, if I you think there's value in sanding it back, I'm proposing to try again, by having two coats of the deep colour coat then using the base coat a few times. I think you might have been saying that previously but I misunderstood it.

Have you any advice?
  • Glad going well so far, hard to offer any more advice without pics  really. My guess is a couple of applications of deep colour ( which has a higher concentration of dye, may be all you need. 
    ^#(^
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    @TTony may be able to help. He had to have  a few attempts on his tele
    I'll get some photo's up - photographing the grain is really tricky :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    Happy to opine ... But pics would be useful.

Was the headstock previously treated with anything, or was it properly unsullied, untainted, wood?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    all lovely unsullied stuff - the thing is it's maple and close grained and the body was a lovely highly figured bit of swamp ash.

so the basecoat fell into the swamp ash and didn't sink in so much on the headstock.

my solution on attempt #2 on the headstock was to put too much base coat on on the first go ... I didn't know if it'd work if I built it up.

I'll need some more base coat if I take the headstock back and try again .. if that's possible or adviseable.