I can't do posh

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9759
Well on our last night in Austria I took Mrs9000 to the poshest restaurant I've ever been to. Never again. Food very nicely presented but so little of it that I doubt they even drew blood from the animals comprising the meal, and suspect that even now they're frolicing around a field somewhere. The vegetation probably came from bonsai plants, and pudding was a redcurrant in a swirl of foamy cream.

Some of the clientele were breathtakingly rude to the waiting staff, and the whole thing appeared to be style over substance.

What's that all about then?

Am I missing something here? Were we all being taken on an expensive ride that no-one dared complain about for fear of being seen as the one that somehow didn't 'get it'? Or an I the Philistine?
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Perhaps most posh people are simply cunts.

Now there's a thought....
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11951
    Some people are rude, posh or not.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Yeah, I'm not posh at all.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Emperor's new clothes.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2588
    How much did it cost?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72740
    I detest that sort of place. You'd have trouble paying me to go into one, let alone the other way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5871
    David Beckham does, quite regularly ;-)

Back to topic though, the waiting staff at these posh gaffes in whatever Country must have the patience of angels to deal with being looked down upon by certain clientele, not you obviously I hasten to add.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    The extra money mostly goes on service. Food is food, a carrot is still going to taste like a carrot even when you spend a fortune on it. :P
    These "posh" restaurant is about 2 things.

1 - the food, yes you might not appreciate it...you peasant :p but there is something to be said about a well presented plate of food and attention to every detail.  Sure, big plate of homemade food is nice but each has its place.

2 - The experience, that is the service, the atmosphere,.  Things like the waiting staff will literally keep an eye out on the content of your wine glass and never let it go empty.

If you want to see ridiculous small servings of food...scroll down.

Although I guarantee you, after all that (18 courses), you will not go away hungry.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4932
    holnrew said:
    Emperor's new clothes.
    Is the correct answer. Pictures on a plate = blx.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @Raymondlin The 5th picture from the bottom has the saddest pieces of meat I have ever seen. It's so stingy, that I would never be able to see the "art" in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27322
    I like a good restaurant but some do tend to have an air of snobbery and po-facedness about them. Those ones are rubbish, and only encourage dick-head customer behaviour with it.

But the good ones are spectacular.

What was this place in Austria called?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Branshen said:
    @Raymondlin The 5th picture from the bottom has the saddest pieces of meat I have ever seen. It's so stingy, that I would never be able to see the "art" in it.

It's all for the taste, not to stuff your face. If they give you lots of food you'll never be able to eat through it all.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708

It's all for the taste, not to stuff your face. If they give you lots of food you'll never be able to eat through it all.
    That's a;ways been my impression of these multi michelin starred places
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    The price is high because they have to employ 5 dishwashers per meal, "no, no, can I just have the 18 courses on the one plate please?"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27322
    The price is high because the meal can only be cooked by highly trained professionals, and you need several of them, and they all cost a lot of money.

I went to the Manoir aux Quat'Saisons a couple of years ago for a christmas present. We had 9 dishes iirc. 

One of them was this:

For which the recipe is so long I can't copy it into a single post here, but it's at the link below. Then there were something like 14 different breads, plus canapes on arrival.

Do people honestly expect to get that for Bella Italia prices?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I'm posh.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16303
    I've only ever had one properly expensive/ Michelin starred meal. The service was friendly and got that balance between not leaving you waiting and not making you feel rushed; the food was excellent and because there were several courses I didn't go away hungry ( and , let's face it, I eat a lot). It felt like money well spent, whereas I've been to much cheaper places and resented every penny as they can't get simple things right. On the other hand my favourite restaurant is a relatively cheap Indian/ Bangladeshi one where the food is scrumptious and the service basically indifferent.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I'm posh.

pissed doesn't mean posh

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    I was on jury service with a guy who was a chef at the Mandarin Oriental in Knightsbridge. He invited us all over for a meal after the trial had finished (only three of us turned up). It was the most spectacular food I've ever had, it was so beautifully presented it was almost a crime to eat it and the flavours were superb. Bigger portions than Raymond's pics too. The best bit was he'd called in all sorts of favours with the hotel manager and got staff discount as well, so we got a brilliant table, a five course meal, loads of alcohol including aperitifs, liqueurs and a different wine with every course......all for £30 each.
    I can understand the reason behind the normal relatively high cost of a meal like that. The poncey "lettuce leaf served with gold foil and unicorn hoof dressing" stuff for £50 a portion is just a pisstake IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom