strings

I've been playing a lot of blues/rock recently. My recent strings have been La Bella Hard Rocking steels, which are a trifle bright, until you've had them on for a year or so.
I have been contemplating a move to halfround / groundwound / pressurewound strings for a change, to try and lose a little zing, get a little more bottom end.
I don't really fancy flats as I do want some brightness, just not as much as the steels. I have tried some nickel strings, but they ddn't really do it for me, and didn't really last long.

Any suggestions/thoughts

Cheers

In jazz, no one can hear you scream
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited August 2013
    Try DR Nickel Lo-Riders. Despite the name they're nickel-plated steel, not pure nickel. They're not ground/rolled but they feel softer and sound fuller than most other roundwounds I've tried.

Seem to last more or less indefinitely too... I traded my last bass in before I needed to change the strings :). Three to four years at least, and they still sounded fine.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    Try yourself a set of Legacy strings from Stringsdirect.  Don't let the price put you off (it's low!), they are awesome!
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I love the D'Addario Chromes - not as flat as flat-wound and not as bright as round-wound.  Perfect to my ears and are great to play.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I would say DRs as well, but my choice would be Sunbeams. 
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    I'm back on Ernie Ball 11's but I used to use D'Addario Chromes for a couple of years . . They were awesome . . . Can't think for the life of me why I stopped using them !!!! Old age is cruel . . . :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• before I went headless d'add chromes were my string of choice as well,  certainly worth a try, mike b.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Another for D'Addario Chromes
  • I got some of the nickel low riders.
    They didn't really work for me at first, but once they were played in the tone is great.

In jazz, no one can hear you scream
  • You may want to try GHS pressurewounds. A lot of people rave about them. If mine ever arrive from the states I'll let you know what they're like...