'Luthier's Love' locking tuners review.

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10389
The pickup demo Vintage V100 has been getting a lot of play recently ... I swapped the PAF style Oil City Blitz Spirit in the bridge position for one of my NightFighter alnico 4s ... and I've been boogieing out on some 70s classic hard rock. Trouble is, all that vibrato and posing on one leg has show up the serious crap quality of the 'Wilkinson Delux' marked tuners ... Delux ... meh ... what a joke! Tuning stability like a chunk of binder twine attached to a flapping shed door. Of course I changed the nut out for a bone one before going as far as swapping the tuners ... but it was a vain hope. There was so much slop and backlash in the Wilkinsons that they would have to go.
I've been intending to try the 'Luthiers Love' range sold by Axeserus for some while ... and this was a perfect opportunity.
For £25 a set ... or £28 in gold like I ordered ... they are very well priced. And I was gobsmacked at the quality of the feel and even the gold plating when they arrived. They really feel like they cost fifty quid a set  ... and look the business.
I broke out my trusty step reamer ... it's actually intended for reaming out model aircraft props ... but is perfect for opening out Kluson sized holes to 10mm. I find it much better than the hand taper reamers that you see people recommend for this job. There was a tiny bit of chipping of lacquer as the thick poly on the V100s headstock is very brittle and not actually stuck on very well.
The whole job only took a half hour and the results are fantastic. absolute stability and a lovely smooth gearing. The whole instrument is a pleasure to play now ... thoroughly recommended
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments