W/d/W anyone running one?

What's Hot
Nowadays with the advent of the EH magnum 44 and Harley Benton 1x12's for a ton... 
Has anybody on this side of the reality pond dipped into the wet/dry/wet thing?
Just curious a Im sure even a crap version of the set up could sound great...

Im standing against he wall..... start firing =)
Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wait, where can you get the 112s for a ton? I knew you could get the 212, but thomann only have the one without the v30 and ply construction.
  • http://www.thomann.de/ie/harley_benton_g112.htm

Maybe nasty but maybe brill ;)
    Worth a punt for the ammount i guess
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Ahhh I see.  I thought you meant a 112 version of the ply, V30 loaded cab! Still, you could well be right.  In fairness, at that price, a quick speaker change and it'll be decent enough...

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    I've done WDW a few times now.
    It is great but unless I can't be bothered with all the lugging unless I have road crew, which I usually don't.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    It seems like a massive amount of ball-ache to me.
  • I've tried it at home, sounds great.  When it comes to playing out: a) it's a massive ball ache and b) I'm not convinced you get the benefit of the sounds coming from different locations once all the cabs are mic'd up and put through the pa. 
    Undoubtedly though if you are using a single channel amp with no loop you can get proper hifi delay and chorus tones using wet/dry than if you are running the delay in front of the driven amp, and that is the only  reason I really considered it for a while.  I almost managed to convince myself that it made good sense because then I had a backup amp and it was already plugged in and running in case anything went wrong.  Of course you then have to factor that flexibility into your pedalboard....
    In the end I came full circle back to keeping it nice and simple.  No one in the audience knows the difference anyway!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    My bass rig is wet and dry.

Has been for 10 years or more.
  • I did it. Great sound, but as others have said a real PITA lugging all the gear about.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    Same as stratcat - marshall 2204 into Zilla 2x12 v30/G12H - no fx loop ; line out box ( David Bray Amps)  into Tc stereo reverb and delay - matrix power amp into 2 x Marshall 1922 cabs - both gt 75's - absolutely stunning results - but apart from one or two practices - it was totally impractical for the gigs i play ... 
  • stedsted Frets: 259
    I lugged my amp into a venue when it was chucking it down then did the same at the end of the gig, my only experience with wet, dry, then wet again.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tried it at home with a Mesa 50/50 for the stereo pair and Egnator for the dry. G-system providing the fx. Sounded great but would need a bigger venue than I will ever plat
  • custom1981custom1981 Frets: 8
    edited December 2013
    Nowadays with the advent of the EH magnum 44 and Harley Benton 1x12's for a ton... 
    Has anybody on this side of the reality pond dipped into the wet/dry/wet thing?
    Just curious a Im sure even a crap version of the set up could sound great...

Im standing against he wall..... start firing =)

Yep Im doing it and it sounds great and is easy to do

my setup goes like this....Amp into palmer PDI 09 or PDI 03 which splits into two signals

first is speaker through into a 4x12 cab for the dry and the palmer then splits into xlr speaker emulated signal into an eventide H3000 then eventide goes into an Art SLA 1 poweramp which then feeds 2 tiny 1x12 marshall cabs for wet wet

so I have my 4x12 as center cab dry and the two little 1x12 as the two wet cabs and the 1x12 cabs are 150 watts each , its great fun and takes a couple of minutes to set up

an eventide H3000 is great for doing this but its the priciple upon which the WDW system works that is important and not the processor.

I have tried the same system just using a boss delay pedal and although it is obviously limited to just the delay because the correct method is used that simple pedal sounds bloody amazing !

for me at least the key parts to the system are a speaker emulator into the wet device and then the wet device MUST go into a solid state poweramp , I tried several tube power amps and tubes do not work properly for me for the wet signal

when done correctly the wet signal should be completely indistinguishable from the dry signal a perfect mirror image if you like and a solid state power amp is hi fi and reproduces that whereas a tube power amp is running the signal from the processor and squashing it with slight tube gain and  tube compression and the wet signal ALWAYS ends up sounding different to the dry signal

I want my dry signal tone completely intact and my wet signal should be exactly the same sound /tone and palmer into processor into solid state is the best way I have found of doing it   

also in terms of space a Palmer PDI 09 is only tiny it is the size of a foot pedal and the ART SLA1 poweramp is a 1 u rack so you could do this setup with a 1u or 2u rack and 2 small 1x12  cabs which is not taking up much space really . plus it will not break the bank I think I paid  £70 for my palmer PDI 09 and £90 for my ART SLA1 used .  Then... all that is needed is a device for the wet signal