Oh Happy Day !!!

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24357
(Whoaa happy daaaaay)...

I've just discovered that BT are installing ADSL2+ kit at my local exchange and that from the first week of next month, my line should support up to 17Mbps !!  Furthermore, the blokey at EE (Orange) told me that I will get the upgrade for free and my existing router will just start working at the higher rate.  They will email me soon to let me know when I can get whizzy with it.  I live close to the exchange and my existing 'up to 8Mb' line actually gives me a full 8Mb, so I'm hoping for a figure closer to the top end of what ADSL2+ can manage.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• So now isn't the time to post these then? (I've got a load-balancing router and these 2 connections...) <smug smiley> :)

imageimage

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Hey Manic, welcome to  theFB . :)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26639
    @manicguitarist, that Virgin connection of yours has shocking upstream. I'd hazard a guess that's barely enough to deal with the downstream at full chat...
    <space for hire>
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I think it's terribly vulgar that people would post these pictures: Ooh, look how good my internet is!

Did you, 30 years ago, go around saying, Look how good my conversation is?

Blea.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24357
    Well, I was hoping Manic would come back.... and now that he has.....  I'm going to ban him.

>:)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • :(

Re the VM upstream - they quoted me 50Mbps down and 5Mbps up - but I guess I am closer to the box than they thought. Also - not sure I understand the comment about "not enough to cope with downstream at full chat" ? Surely the upstream and downstream throttling shouldn't impact on each other? (If my understanding of the physics behind ADSL endcoding is right)

• Also - hello folks! :)
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    These threads make me want to cry :(

Silly me assuming that they'd have ran cable in a 15 year old new build :(
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I have the option of BT and Virgin "fibre" broadband, it's going to be a tough choice when I can afford to upgrade/my current contract runs out.
    My V key is broken
  • Virgin is much cheaper.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Also - hello folks! :)

Owdo Manic.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27621

imageimage

I have reported you for stealing my internet.

On a good day, I might manage 2mb/s down.  I put stuff in the post box if I want to upload it.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    BT just upgraded me...

According to the BT line speed check I'm getting more internet than I was promised... it hit 79mb even though they only promised 65mb.

Only upgraded so I'd get a new router... hoping that was the cause of interwebs not getting to all devices in the house properly. My flatmate has been getting virtually no internet while my mother and I have been able to stream movies happily... BT homehub 3 of course has no load balancing or QoS features at all... neither does the Homehub 4 they just sent me. Thanks BT.

If that doesn't work then plan B is to get a wired Cisco router and a WAP each for his room and mine (only places where the wifi's are used)... ebay has had a few very well priced bits of kit lately so will keep an eye out
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27621
    Myranda said:
    it hit 79mb even though they only promised 65mb.

Only upgraded so I'd get a new router...

:CRY
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    That's only on BT.com's speed check... I doubt it's really that fast - will check it with speedtest.com tomorrow with a wired machine to get a better idea of speed
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4996
    edited August 2013
    I pay for 20Mb download from Virgin and generally get that or more. Sneaky bastards never mention the upload is atrocious!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2889506725.png
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2923
    edited August 2013
    Im also with Virgin and pay for 20Mb.  I don't upload much so Im quite happy with it

From the laptop (tested twice)
    imageimage
    edited August 2013
    And from my livingroom HTPC (currently housed in a full size tower so looks ridiculous)
    imageimage
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

imageimage

I have reported you for stealing my internet.

On a good day, I might manage 2mb/s down.  I put stuff in the post box if I want to upload it.

I live 2 miles from him and I know what he means. Lucky if you get 350k going up :(

BTW there's an RFC document by 2 (Norwegian, I think) guys who wrote the hex of their IP packets out on bits of paper and transferred them by carrier pigeon. They took 3 weeks to establish a connection, but it worked. I think the title was Avian Transport Layer or similar. There may be something we could learn from it.

BTW Hi Tony! :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself