"Tonight Matthew, I'm going to sell my soul" - 1st backing tracks gig coming up

What's Hot
bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
edited October 2013 in Live

This Saturday, I'm going to break my duck and do a whole 2-hour set playing and singing to Backing Tracks - no more blaming the bassist for getting the chord progression wrong or the drummer for coming in too early, this time all mistakes will be mine and mine alone! I won't spam you with where it is, because if you're out in Cambridge on Saturday you should go and play at the Rock Jam at the Emperor instead!

Here's the setlist:

INSTRUMENTAL: Chameleon, Cissy Strut, Funk #49, Footprints, So What, Watermelon Man

WITH VOCALS: White Room, Gimme All Your Loving, Mary Had A Little Lamb, SCoM, Baker Street, All Right Now, Hey Joe, BMW, While My Guitar, Going Down, Honky Tonk Women, Knocking On Heaven's Door, Little Wing, Cocaine, Stormy Monday, Superstition, Purple Haze, Sweet Home Alabama

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10710
    I used to love playing to backing tracks - mike_strat and I had a 3 hour set of rock songs - we were called Double Whammy. No shame in it mate!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    When we used to get gigs through an agency it was a fixed fee. £300 for the 6 of us or £300 for the single acts singing to backing tapes. From that perspective it looked like a good idea!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Can't beat 'em join 'em.! I do a bit from time to time IMHO takes more practise to get it right to track because its so unforgiving although giving the computer a solo is a no no! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    maltingsaudio said:although giving the computer a solo is a no no! 

I have got a 16-bar drum break to cope with during Funk #49 - my plan is to scratch along with wah pedal!
  • I used to play in a 3piece called "the good the bad and the Welshman" where all 3 of us played guitars and we used a DR5 for backing. We had to program all bass and drums, but it gave us so much scope with 3 guitars. Good fun, but volume is critical on stage, you had to be able to hear the backing more than in a a regular line up. Have a good gig.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24414

You... you........ karaoke whore !!!

;)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad used to do this for years - good money maker. Even back in the late 80s/early 90s, he was pulling in £120/night.

For his first attempt, he made sure to book it at about 50 miles from home, so nobody would be able to remind him of the horror ;)
    <space for hire>
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    I have done this with a pro female singist. We did the first set just 2 vox and my acoustic. Then for the rest I played along to her tracks adding percussion/guitar and harmonies. 
    The sad thing is Joe Public doesn't know you just mimed an electric guitar solo on an acoustic, you even get applauded for it!!! 
    :\">

It is in some ways easier, but beware you are very much the centre of attention and must 'entertain' all the time when there are no band mates to distract eyes. Staring at your shoes is a no no.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    What a cool setlist! I think it's a great idea. I'd love to do it if I was good enough, but I can't sing and I'm hopeless at learning songs.

I've often thought that I'd like to do some town centre busking like that, but just obscure instrumental stuff I know.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24414
    ESBlonde said: The sad thing is Joe Public doesn't know you just mimed an electric guitar solo on an acoustic, you even get applauded for it!!! 
    :\">
    See.... and we spend thousands on boutique amps and pedals, endlessly tweaking and adjusting in the never-ending quest for tonal nirvana, and the people we play to wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fucking cello and a bassoon strung with cheesewire.  Christ, they can't even tell something's amiss when a solo act is managing to produce the sound of a full band,
    with harmonies from a single mic and guitar !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    Emp_Fab said:
    See.... and we spend thousands on boutique amps and pedals, endlessly tweaking and adjusting in the never-ending quest for tonal nirvana, and the people we play to wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a fucking cello and a bassoon strung with cheesewire.  Christ, they can't even tell something's amiss when a solo act is managing to produce the sound of a full band, with harmonies from a single mic and guitar !
    Be fair ... we don't spend thousands on boutique amps (etc) for their benefit.  That's purely for us.

Good luck BigJ.  I think you'll do just nicely.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • For my next gig I'm just going to play our CD. The mixing is way better than what a soundman can achieve anyway.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

At least you have a soul to sell....

Best of luck fella. See you soon.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited November 2013
    Good luck to you. I think I'd miss the comradery even if band mates can be a pain in the butt. I'd be as nervous as hell too. Oh yes, and not forgetting I can't sing a note!
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Well that didn't pass off too badly! Lot's of minor mistakes but only one song-killing one where I pressed the skip button on the mp3 player mid-Cissy Strut, had to skip back and then fast-forward to my best guess of where I was, then work out where I'd landed, all on the fly! Found the overall sensation a bit flat, usually when you get to the climactic solo, the band gets louder etc, but it was fun to do, and nice to have agreement over how many beats to wait in White Room before the solo (the correct answer is 10, by the way) :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10444

I did a stint in the nineties playing guitar  along to mini disc with another fellow playing bass and singing. Money was good, about £100 each but I felt a bit exposed with just the two of us .......... being used to rocking up with 5 band members, 3 roadies and a car of Wags normally. 
    So fair play to you for having the balls to do it 
    :-c
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 365
    edited December 2013
    I've been playing guitar to my self-produced backing tracks for 20 years now as a 3-piece with 2 girls, a duo with bass player and solo. When I first started out after my band split I found it a little flat sounding until I realised it's all to do with getting a big ballsy sound from your PA which really must have bass bins. Once the required kick and level was achieved it really all came together and I had lots of really great gigs over the years in venues usually reserved for full bands. I met Buster Bloodvessel just before I was going on stage once and he said "give it the bollocks!". Playing with tracks you need to do just that.