String buzz help

I recently got a Fender Telebration mahogony body/maple neck in trade. I've re-strung it with 9's and set it up using these  http://www.gmchandcraftedguitars.com/stringactionneckrelief.htm 

Neck relief measured 0.25mm @ 8th fret and shimmed at first and last frets.

String Height measured at 12th fret 1.6mm across all six strings.

I'm getting string buzz on the A & D string, I've tried raising the saddle height but without going silly I'm still getting buzz.

I've put a straight edge over the frets and couldn't see any obvious high/low frets.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Matt 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

possibly needs a slight (less the 1/8th turn) truss rod adjustment, but it may just be down to the heat.

All mine went a little buzzy when the temperature went up, only a tiny amount, and all around the nut-5th fret, and all at the same time. Try when it's a little cooler, and the guitar has been at a stable temp for a while..

If you're local to Cambridge/Huntingdon I'd be glad to have a look for you.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    I suppose the next thing to check is the nut?
  • BenSirAmosBenSirAmos Frets: 411
    Have you played it through an amp? 

New strings buzz - at least they do when you don't play it through the amp - so don't go adjusting anything until you are sure there is a problem - otherwise you will cause the problems. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    1.6mm sounds a bit low for anything other than the top E string and maybe the B. You usually want the action to increase from somewhere around that on the top strings to about a mm more on the bass side, to allow for the greater string movement with the thick strings. At least, the way I set them.

It won't be the nut if it's doing it on fretted notes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    1.6mm sounds a bit low for anything other than the top E string and maybe the B. You usually want the action to increase from somewhere around that on the top strings to about a mm more on the bass side, to allow for the greater string movement with the thick strings. At least, the way I set them.

It won't be the nut if it's doing it on fretted notes.
    I've raised the strings, but still getting a bit of buzz on the A string.  Would giving the neck a little more relief help, it's currently set at 0.25mm ;8th fret and shimmed at first and last frets.

mike_l said:

possibly needs a slight (less the 1/8th turn) truss rod adjustment, but it may just be down to the heat.

All mine went a little buzzy when the temperature went up, only a tiny amount, and all around the nut-5th fret, and all at the same time. Try when it's a little cooler, and the guitar has been at a stable temp for a while..

If you're local to Cambridge/Huntingdon I'd be glad to have a look for you.

Thanks for the offer I'm in Kent, so bit far, but if it carries on it maybe worth the journey ;)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Where is it buzzing?  Frirst few frets?  higher up the neck?

If its 1 then a touch more relief may help, if it's 2 then maybe even less relief but raise the saddles slightly. 

As everyone says, if it's a slight buzz that you can't hear through the amp then don't even worry about it :)