headphone mod

What's Hot
Interesting upgrade to sennheiser headphones

http://lifehacker.com/upgrade-a-pair-of-mid-range-headphones-to-an-audiophile-1456454424

I have to say not sure id be willing to risk destroying a £112 pair of headphones but its an interesting idea
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    I am deeply suspicious. 
    He has not shown us the internals of the more expensive headphones so how do we know that the foam is the only difference? 

Then, transducers are often "graded" for use in certain models. Think of stereo matched microphones?
    It could well be that only 10% of the transducers are good enough for the more expensive cans. Yes, factory costs can be low when given in that bald way but if you are selecting for performance that changes the situation. A top grade driver costs the same to make one completely out of specc' but the latter is a total loss.

Dave.
  • ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    It would not take an electronics/audio genius to devise some sort of dummy head"coupler" and record the same track thru both sets of cans and compare the results.

Dave.
  • Sadly it would require buying both set of headphones though :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    The Sennheiser part number label being the same for both models does look pretty conclusive.

It's not necessarily cynical marketing or 'crippling' a product though - the development process could have resulted in fitting the foam to *cure* a discovered problem with excessive resonance. But then testing might have showed that some people - just possibly, those with more expensive tastes in equipment ;) - actually preferred the *worse* (technically) version. This would not be surprising given that many audiophoolphiles prefer valve equipment when from a technical point of view it's provably inferior to solid-state. And in order to sell to these people, making something more expensive reinforces their decision process… and as one of the posters in that forum points out, the more expensive cans also come with 'posher' fittings and accessories so it isn't a straight price comparison.

On the other hand, when I was a kid a friend had a Rockwell International calculator - this was about 1976 I think, and it cost something like £50 (!)… it was the cheaper model with no memory. The difference was that the more expensive model with memory (which was something like £100!!) had two extra buttons in the top corner of the keyboard, where on the cheap model there was just a Rockwell logo. One day he dropped it and the metal front of the keyboard popped off… revealing two extra buttons! A quick test proved they were indeed the memory buttons, so he drilled a couple of holes in the cover so he could press them with a pencil, and hey presto calculator upgrade :D. An absolutely clear case of crippling an identical product in order to hit two different price points.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nikon did this with some slr cameras. Internally identical, but software crippling to provide for different price points.

Which is funny, because both are no better than even a basic one anyway. I think apple did it to an iPhone camera, too?
    Re ICBM's point about products been sold downgraded but actually having the gubinsses on board....

Way before EU and "free trade" complex electronics like VCRs would be imported with a minmum specc' because they attracted a lower duty. But almost all the function could be restored to the high flyer version if you snapped off some plastic covers and got hold of the service "overlay" for the remote and instructions. 
    I also recall a question being asked at a trade training day about the blanked out area of a large CTV chip. "Texas won't tell us" said the man "We think that bit flies Minute Man Missiles"!!

Oh! And you could drill a 2mm hole in any VHS cassette and have it work on an S-VHS machine!

Dave.
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    I'd rather spend the same money on a set of closed cans  5 - 30,000 Hz that actually look like they were built to last .
    Flown the nest .
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

There's a body of opinion that think that this is the reason Gibson use 300k pots in many of their models, only moving to 500k for Custom Shop guitars.

When you compare a Les Paul Standard with a Custom Shop model in the shop, one will sound that little bit more sparkly and alive.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    martinw said:

There's a body of opinion that think that this is the reason Gibson use 300k pots in many of their models, only moving to 500k for Custom Shop guitars.

When you compare a Les Paul Standard with a Custom Shop model in the shop, one will sound that little bit more sparkly and alive.

I certainly can't think of any other good reason to use the 300Ks.

I think that's the reason why Fender deliberately put the wrong taper MV pot in the Hotrod amps, too - to make their amp seem so much louder than any other amp in the shop, to buyers who don't realise it isn't going to get any louder beyond about 3 or 4 and haven't yet noticed how difficult it is to set quietly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    martinw said:

I certainly can't think of any other good reason to use the 300Ks.

I think that's the reason why Fender deliberately put the wrong taper MV pot in the Hotrod amps, too - to make their amp seem so much louder than any other amp in the shop, to buyers who don't realise it isn't going to get any louder beyond about 3 or 4 and haven't yet noticed how difficult it is to set quietly.
    Yep very possible.
  • martinw said:

WISDOM

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    martinw said:

WISDOM

Absolutely. But when I buy a guitar I don't base it on plugged in sound anyways so HAHA!