PA advice wanted please

close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited November 2013 in Live

for a band practice / rehearsal situation ...

to run two microphones in one scenario ... or electronic drums & maybe guitar DI from a Zoom G3X pedal in a different scenario where there is a pa for vocals already

how do these compare / contrast / stack-up / in absolute terms and in terms of value for money?

[1]

Watson speakers 130 watts

Carlsbro powerline 500 power amp

Behringer MX1604A mixing desk

All cables etc.

£200

[2]

DAS DS12 speakers with stands

Studiomaster Powerhouse 300 powered mixer desk

Sony mini disc player (not wanted / needed)

Battered Shure microphone (not needed)

£500 (edit - price added)

[3]

Marshall PA 400 amp, Marshall 6115 speakers + stands

£300

[4]

Behringer Eurolive B1220 High Power 2-way Loud Speakers, + speaker stands,    

Yamaha EMX 68s Powered Mixer

£200

ps

there isn't a section for PA gear in the forum - is this the best place?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I never thought I'd say this but the Behringer is probably gonna perform best. If you can stretch your budget look at this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/peavey-pa-system-400-watt-speakers-with-300-watt-amplifier-/290991623512?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Speakers_Monitor&hash=item43c073cd58

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Thanks - the ones I listed are all local enough to collect - unfortunately that isn't.

:)

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If I had to pick between those 4 systems..

1 - I'd dismiss - behr desks I've owned/used haven't lasted very long so used I would be wary of and watson speakers are cheap but not so cheerful

2 - no price? but the das speakers and studiomaster desk are useable - the desk will be old be they seem to keep going - probably been used by a solo act in clubs so I'd be looking for signs that it has been cased etc

3 - not amazing even when they were made but they seem to last from what i've seen and would do the job.  I'd check it carefully given it's age though

4 - is my choice - the speaker are cheap and cheerful but as a package for 200 it'll do for now and when they go you still have a useable mixeramp.

At this price point I'd probaby look out for a peavey or yamaha setup...  old hisys cabs or yamaha sv12 or15 with a powered mixer.
    edited November 2013
    John_P said:

2 - no price?

Fixed - £500

One more I forgot to mention

[5]

2 Carlsbro speakers 200w per side,  2 speaker stands, Spirit Folio mixer desk, Sony mini disk player, Alesis 16 bit digital effects processor, Carver 900 Amplifier, wireless receiver with mic, all leads. Mixer desk and effects unit/mini disk player all in a silver protective carrying case/box.

£450

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    I'd go for some powered speakers and a passive spirit or soundcraft desk like an FX 16 desk with carlsboro actives. Ive got the 400 watters - they're ace.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • There is also these and they are pretty shit hot for cheap stuff. That with a little mixer and you're golden.

http://www.musicgeardirect.co.uk/pa-sound-products-by-brand/l2-audio/im-range/pre-owned-l2-audio-imp15h-powered-moulded-speaker-enclosures-pair.html
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    edited November 2013
    I dont think any of those will do vocals and drums unless you're in a pretty quiet band.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

Thanks -

Me scratches head and wonders whether any of them are good buys at all now.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

Have a little punt on this :

A little passive desk could be picked up very cheaply to complete a whole system

We've brought PA's from all over the UK, you can get City Link to pick them  up if auction is collection only
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • The link Danny posted up is worth a punt, of the others the carlsbro and carver is worth alook and the Das deal is also worth a look.Would recommend when you buy them that you get them PAT tested asqap just for peace of mind
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Option 4. Behringer speakers are fine and Yamaha anything are great. However, while you'll get away with the bass, don't put the drums through it - get a cheapo full range keyboard amp or similar. The thump of the drums takes too much power from the amp and moves the cone that much that it will distort everything else. We ran our band with a Yamaha Stagepas 500 for ages (and they are only 10" speakers!) and now run everything except the drums through a behringer powered mixer and 15" speakers. The sound is MUCH more controllable and balanced than a creeping back line.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    edited November 2013
    I would also go for option 4 - it's not the best, but it is the best value for money and the least to spend on unnecessary bits and pieces you don't need… and the least to spend overall anyway.

Similarly as John_P said - 

1 - the Carlsbro (which is decent enough) could well blow the Watson speakers (which aren't).

2 - too much money for old stuff like that

3 - reasonable, but dated-sounding and maybe a bit too expensive

5 - probably the best, but a lot of money compared to 4

I would also totally agree to look for older Peavey and Yamaha gear - and stick to passive cabs and separate power amps, or powered mixers. Powered speakers tend to be unreliable at the budget end of the market, or secondhand. (Although I have seen some problems with recent cheaper Yamaha gear, it's not all that great.)

I would also avoid putting the drums through any system as low-powered as these and without subs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks guys - your advice will be passed on & discussed ... :)

And there's more:

[6] 2x Skytec 170.730 Speakers (1x10" + Horn Cabs) 400watts max 200watts RMS

£75

[7]

Soundcraft Spirit Folio Notepad Mixer

On auction at £10

[8]

Peavey XR-600B

On auction at £130 with BIN of £300

Also ... there's more ...

questions anyway ...

WOuld the advice given stay the same if the pa was just going to be used for vocals ... forget about putting any instruments through it ... vocals in a practice room using two mics?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    That soundcraft spirit and peavey xr are decent enough - do you need reverb for vocals though? Not sure the notepad desks have any effects but that could depend on the exact model.

I wouldn't have the skytec speakers if you paid me the £75 - you can do a LOT better for the money.
  • close2u said:

Also ... there's more ...

questions anyway ...

WOuld the advice given stay the same if the pa was just going to be used for vocals ... forget about putting any instruments through it ... vocals in a practice room using two mics?

Id go with the behringers in that scenario. Practised in loads of places with a setup like that.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

I know I'm throwing a lot of options out ... seeing the band Tuesday evening

There's this too ..

[9] a single Laney CX15 passive speaker

£99 or best offer

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    A vocal only rig and a rig to run electronic drums and DI'd guitars are two very different requirements - to do the drums justice in a full band set up you'll need a hefty full range setup with at least one sub.  Vocal only you will get away with a lot less.