Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend come to your gigs?

What's Hot

Comments

• Very rarely. Used to a lot back in 80's as she drove me, I didn't learn to drive until late 88.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    Mine is the drummer so she has to. :) Although she rarely comes to see my other bands more than a couple of times.

TBH, we gig so much that a weekend night at home is very welcome whenever we get a chance. We rarely see ANY bands except our own, unless we're on the bill with others.
  • When she can, ie local, public not private gig, babysitters available....
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Yes usually Mrs Fez attends even comes to the Gearfest and the boys are old enough to roadie now, they have to if they want me to crew for their band.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Almost always.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Maybe half the time. To be honest I don't think I'd like her coming to all of them, it's harder to work round the room, meet strangers and generally go about the business of gigging when I've also got to make sure I'm not ignoring her.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Rarely, and to be honest I wouldn't want to take her to many of the drinking establishments that we play in. She is also not very appreciative of the volume that I like to play at. Later this month we've got a village hall gig, and she will come to that.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Roland said:
    Rarely, and to be honest I wouldn't want to take her to many of the drinking establishments that we play in.
    Very true, have a wisdom. Mrs BJ is a viola player in a string trio, here's a photo comparison I knocked together once for a facebook status illustrative of the difference between where we were gigging with our respective ensembles one weekend . . .

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n498/bigjon1684/VenueComp.jpg
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mrs comes now and again if we are "Local", I always bollocks things up if shes watching though...
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5034
    edited November 2013
    Strangely, for the first time ever our bass player's wife came to our gig on Saturday night, the very day I posted this thread saying she never turns up!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Can't look at the 'candy' if the wife's there. And I stress 'look'. She's like a PowerRanger, senses where me eyes are. Puts one off one's chords.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
    edited November 2013

Very rarely (was going to say never, but she's been to one gig recently because it was an afternoon slot and our little daughter wanted to see us).  I don't think she's much of a fan of the type of stuff we play.  The drummer's wife (and sister) is always there, as are often the other halves of the bassist and other guitarist.

Quick edit - just realised that could be interpreted as the drummer's wife is his sister!  We don't do that, even in darkest Devon :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Always. I'm not trusted around the groupies :(
    All practice and no theory
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The present Mrs Blonde quite enjoyed the gigs before I retired but they were few and far between. Previous version came to pretty much all of the gigs (and got drunk) before children and then less so. I had a g/f way back that liked to get involved and had to be asked to stand back a little while the boys did it. Her photo records of the gigs were epic (in the days when you had to get them developed).

• My missus has been to all the gigs I've played, bless her!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5034
    edited November 2013

jd0272 said:
    Can't look at the 'candy' if the wife's there. And I stress 'look'. She's like a PowerRanger, senses where me eyes are. Puts one off one's chords.
    I know what you mean. The other week my wife, two sons and one of their girlfriends came to a gig. One young lady in a LBD danced a lot and then at the end said to me 'the band was great - and you're a very good looking man and I hope you know it.' (She was there with her boyfriend by the way.)

When we got home and I recounted this tale to the family, my missus said 'was it the one in the LBD?' I said yes and then the whole lot of them chorused in unison, while also laughing, 'we saw her, she was soooo pissed!' 

Ah well...  
    :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited December 2013
    no,  she does the gigs  

When she was going out on her own,  I used to "roadie"   but now shes back in a band and duo I dont need to,  thank god............... dont get me wrong, she's a bit good - but after 20 years of it, it can lose its novelty  -plus these days it can be 100's of miles away........

:D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • On the rare occasion that we play a gig that is both local and open to the public (i.e. not a wedding or function) my other half would have come to as many as she could - admittedly we're talking two to three gigs a year here - but since our little one was born, that has not been possible, so she hasn't seen me for a while.

She is super-supportive of me being in the band, however, so even though she's not there at the gigs I still get a good boost from the enthusiasm and encouragement she provides.

• gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited November 2013
    Mrs Addict hardly ever does. Partly because of the difficulty of finding child minders but mainly because she thinks the stuff we play is "a load of old shite". Which is fair enough.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Mrs Addict hardly ever does. Partly because of the difficulty of finding child minders but mainly because she thinks the stuff we play is "a load of old shite". Which is fair enough.
    So she has taste in music, but then she married you!  :))