What do you make of this on ebay?

What's Hot
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acoustic-Guitar-Professional-Instrument-/121740256362?hash=item1c5848e46a

I've an idea who the builder might be, but either way, isn't it nice looking?
It's a lot of dough for a non branded instrument but I might be tempted to go and have a look if I had the cash. 

Northern Ireland has a lot of good acoustic makers. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    If you could play it...sight unseen, pass.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    Newtonards isn't that where Lowden or Mcilroy are based, sounds familiar anyway. Could be one of their apprentices.
    Anyway looks good but resale price might be an issue.

• If it's a 'professional instrument' does that mean it guarantees you an income?  If so then it's a no brainer.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited August 2015
    Newtonards isn't that where Lowden or Mcilroy are based, sounds familiar anyway. Could be one of their apprentices.
    Anyway looks good but resale price might be an issue.

I don't think it's an apprentice, somebody else.

Whoever it is he's made a purty instrument. Could sound like a box of springs for all I know!
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5261
    i have been looking at that as well.....if he does returns then maybe...one thing is for sure resale value will be rubbish...i thought for £1000 or a bit more you could get many an excellent acoustic that you could sell on for similar amount to the one you paid
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited August 2015
    mgaw said:
    i have been looking at that as well.....if he does returns then maybe...one thing is for sure resale value will be rubbish...i thought for £1000 or a bit more you could get many an excellent acoustic that you could sell on for similar amount to the one you paid
    Completely agree.

Obviously you could make an offer but starting at 974 - seems a bit close to 1k!
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    The above is something most small custom builders never seem to understand, you pay premium for a custom guitar to your spec, that's where the money is, with this and many others, your paying for a guitar with little providence, unknown build and tonal quality, and literally no resale value, it's value is with the person who commissioned it.

In the other hand if it was built to sell, then I can see why it would be priced high but this one was made years ago so, to most it's worth a few hundred quid at most, in my opinion.

There is a builder called Kenn Gordon who's guitars are great but he does not have a clue about resale, he has some guitars he built in the 80s, he bought em back from various people reconditions them then tries to sell em for 2k plus because "they're hand made" they never sell as he will not budge on price. Madness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks like an Avalon, logo looks v similar, could be an ex Avalon builder.

£974 is a potential bargain, would probably cost 3 times this new from the Avalon or Lowden workshop. As others have mentioned, as the provenance isn't clear, that kills the value for buying unseen. It may sound and play fantastically, but the seller isn't doing a good job selling it. Needs a video explaining the guitar, with some sound samples.
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited October 2015
    I think it is a guitar made by a guy that used to work for Avalon. It looks very much like one I was offered a couple of years ago and it played beautifully. He wanted £1300 for it then.