Any EHX Ring Thing users out there?

dandldandl Frets: 36
Evening all. I have been fancying a Ring Thing for funny noise making purposes but wondered if anyone has had any success setting it up to give an Octavia type effect when combined with other dirt/fuzz pedals? I found one video on YouTube but not much else. Any RT users care to give me your feedback please. I'd be much obliged! Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    No direct usage from me but my other guitarist has one and it makes plenty of superb sounds, it was originally intended as the silly pedal for the odd song but ended up being very useful for simulating small keyboard parts and making single note stuff more interesting. 

Cool pedal.
  • dandldandl Frets: 36
    Thanks Photek, It does look like an interesting pedal with plenty of uses. I was just really curious as to whether it would do the Octavia thing when used with other dirt boxes.
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    I have a micro POG which does an octavia sound very well when used with dirt pedals, partiicuarly after a fuzz face.
    Hi Dano, Yes I also have a Micro POG and its a brilliant little pedal, the only problem is it tracks too well! I have a clone of an Ultimate Octave that I love but I wanted the same kind of Octavia sound that it gives but with my other dirt pedals. It's the metallic edge where double stops get all mixed up I'm hoping to recreate with the Ring Thing. If anyone has managed to do it I'd love to know.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The ring thing is a polyphonic pitch shifter so it won't get really confused the way a more simple octave down effect might, but it does get a bit funny with three notes if you put the distortion pre-ring thing. I really love mine, it's a well thought out pedal that's very flexible. I've got settings saved for octave down (used in conjunction with a rat for a huge sound), octave up, fifth, tremolo, vibrato'd two octave up, and a pseudo- phasery type modulation effect.

There's a few live videos of the song that's Rat+octave down. They all sound pretty shit, but this is probably the least shit. From about 2:20

Cheers Cirrus, That kind of answers my question. I think I'll need something else to give me that messed up octave, my concern with the Ring Thing was that it would track too well being polyphonic. Out of interest how do you find it for Whammy type stuff? BTW, loving the Vox head I got off of you earlier this year. I can seeing it peaking out from behind you the video:)
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited August 2013
    Glad to hear its getting some appreciation! It's an awesome amp, I've had a couple of mild pangs of regret lol. #-o :)) With an expression pedal it's basically a good whammy effect, you just don't get the more esoteric intervals, it's always direct sound through to whatever you dialled in.
    Yeah the Vox is a great amp. In fact I've decided I no longer need the AC15 any more as the head does a great impression of it and so much more. Ta for the info on the RT. I still may be tempted to pick one up soon as it seems to do a lot of interesting things. I'll just need to hunt for a separate Octavia.