Underated Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    stimpsonslostson;776202" said:
    I'm currently watching Muse play the Live Lounge (it's on iplayer if you're interested).
    Matt Bellamy is a fantastic player, I never appreciated it till seeing him do it live.
    He is. However whenever there is a poll for "greatest guitar player ever" he wins (or comes close) because the muse fanbase is obsessed to say the least.

Apart from their old stuff and the odd new song I only like them live.

Great player, brilliant front man imo
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markv said:
    I think Brian May is underrated.
    Why so? He's my favourite player of all time - but underrated?
    A bit like Lindsey Buckingham - I just don't think he's thought of in a lot of polls. Or maybe I'm talking b0ll0cks
  • Tim Wheeler from Ash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd like to add Laurie Wisefield
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Chuck D'Aloia after discovering him on a thread on here, lovely player.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Ronnie Le Tekro from TNT, Vito Bratta from White Lion, Francis Dunnery, Nik Kershaw and lastly Brion James from the Dan Reed Network. All ace.
  • @Vibetronic is underrated ;)
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    edited October 2015
    Phil_aka_Pip;814378" said:
    I'd like to add Laurie Wisefield
    Wis'd. Never achieved the credit he should have, he was excellent in Wishbone Ash and Ted Turner was a very hard act to follow.
    He's in Snakecharmer these days (Whitesnake tribute band, well kind of. It does have Neil Murray and Micky Moody in it).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    boogieman said:
    Phil_aka_Pip;814378" said:
    I'd like to add Laurie Wisefield
    Wis'd. Never achieved the credit he should have, he was excellent in Wishbone Ash and Ted Turner was a very hard act to follow.
    He's in Snakecharmer these days (Whitesnake tribute band, well kind of. It does have Neil Murray and Micky Moody in it).
    On the whole I like the Wisefield period albums better than the (Ted) Turner period, I think.
  • Philly_Q said:
    On the whole I like the Wisefield period albums better than the (Ted) Turner period, I think.
    I sympathise with that but every time I listen to Argus I decide it's the best!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah, I think Argus stands on its own.  But I really like There's the Rub, Just Testing, New England and even Front Page News even though the latter doesn't contain any "classics".  Not so keen on the stuff after Martin Turner left.  

I think they're on good form nowadays too, it's a shame the relationship between Andy Powell and the other original members has become so acrimonious.
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    Jimmy Thackery, does some great jump blues stuff!
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Yeah, I think Argus stands on its own.  But I really like There's the Rub, Just Testing, New England and even Front Page News even though the latter doesn't contain any "classics".  Not so keen on the stuff after Martin Turner left.  

I think they're on good form nowadays too, it's a shame the relationship between Andy Powell and the other original members has become so acrimonious.
    Just Testing, New England, Front Page News and No Smoke Without Fire are chock full of excellent guitar work :)
    Live Dates Vol II likewise, Living Proof is the highlight. The guitar solo SINGS
  • Did anyone say Carlos Alomar yet?
    Jose Gonzales is pretty good too and i never read much about him on guitar forums.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Ian Bairnson of Pilot who also played the solo on "Wuthering Heights" but apart from Pilot, his main body of work was with the Alan Parsons Project.

Another Ian - Ian Thornley of Big Wreck.

Carlos Rios (played with Lionel Richie) but his guitar work with Gino Vanelli on the Brother To Brother album was fantastic.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Steve Hillage

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Possibly worth mentioning Glenn Tilbrook.

Saw him playing back-up Telecaster for Nick Harper once, and he was off the scale. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Kebabkid said:
    Ian Bairnson of Pilot who also played the solo on "Wuthering Heights" but apart from Pilot, his main body of work was with the Alan Parsons Project.

Love the intro to "Magic".
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Some of my favourite players aren't rockers. I'm interested in people who play a bit differently, so

Bernard Sumner
    John McGeoch
    Johnny Marr
    Vini Reilly
    Robin Guthrie
    Josh Homme
    Tom Morello
    Peter Hook - yes bass strictly speaking, but he's more of a lead player, 6 string bass too, often
    Bill Nelson
    Richard Hawley
    John Squire

that'll do for now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Deke Leonard and Mickey Jones(RIP) of Man.
    Tony "TS" McPhee
    Del Bromham of Stray.

Their respective bands were never in the A- List of their times, but all of them are/were very good players.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom