Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

MJW Amps -- New Build for Thorpy FX. BUILD PICS!

What's Hot
martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
edited November 2015 in Made in the UK tFB Trader

I'm very pleased to announce that Adrian at Thorpy FX has chosen MJW Amplification to supply him with an amp for demonstrating his superb pedals at guitar shows and the like.  :)

Adrian wanted a transparent (but not bland) clean channel to show the pedals off to their best advantage, but also a crunchy-to-high-gain overdrive channel for both his own enjoyment, and to show how the pedals can be used with amp overdrive. The ability to customise both the appearance of the amp and it's sound to suit his exact needs, as well as the desire to support British businesses influenced his decision, and a few listens to the demos on YouTube confirmed it. I was also pleased that Adrian described the price of the amp as 'more than fair'.

The amp in question is an MJW Orion 2x12 Combo, with a 'Twin' style clean channel, and an 'SLO' style overdrive channel. The SDM Zero Loss effects loop is standard on this amp, but the optional Power Scaling will also be useful in controlling volume at shows. The overdrive channel will have a special, foot-switchable, 'unboost' feature, to modify the channel into a lower gain more 'Plexi' sound, in effect giving 3 channels. The output valves will be the Orion's standard 4 x KT66.

Besides the usual 2-button footswitch, I'll also be adding a stereo jack socket so that the amp can easily interface with a Gigrig system.

Adrian has chosen the very cool purple tolex, with white piping and black/white grill cloth, so it will end up looking something like the pic below. Of course, the combo is equipped with steel side handles!

I'm really excited to be chosen for this build, and would like to thank Thorpy FX @thorpy6 for their support. I might do a few progress reports with pics if there's enough interest? :)

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @martinw Great news. Would love to see a build diary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    vasselmeyer;780418" said:
    @martinw Great news. Would love to see a build diary.
    Yes to the build diary
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Build diaries are always interesting. I presume that we can rely on Thorpy for sound samples, with and without the pedals?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • The gain channel will sound awesome if it's anything like the goldstar ss 'slo' style circuit!
  • Great choice of colour.  Looking forward to pics and clips
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
    edited September 2015 tFB Trader
    guitarfishbay;780597" said:
    Great choice of colour.  Looking forward to pics and clips
    Well pics are going to be up to Martin to supply during the build- clips- well you will be able to hear it in person at the guitar show in February where we have a stand near the FRETBOARD stand! With and without pedals (mostly with) :) Btw I don't think I've ever been more excited for an AMP even if it is for business purpose ;)
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Absolutely beast spec!

Still saving for my amp. Mjw or the new jet city model... If the jet city isn't just right, there is only one option!
  • Wowsers sounds like something I'd like!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    Good on you both, great to see British business supporting each other.

Be nice to see one or more of the UK's Guitar builders get involved too.

tFB Trader
    Already happening, check out the Made in the UK threads, some great work by Feline, Wez, and others as well as pickup makers such as Oil city etc.. as it happens I will be taking a Feline Guitar to the Guitar show!

kin said:

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    ThorpyFX said:
    Already happening, check out the Made in the UK threads, some great work by Feline, Wez, and others as well as pickup makers such as Oil city etc.. as it happens I will be taking a Feline Guitar to the Guitar show!

kin said:

Any chance that you will have a stand at the Merseyside guitar show next month.

tFB Trader
    markj said:
    ThorpyFX said:

kin said:

Any chance that you will have a stand at the Merseyside guitar show next month.

me or martin? Im afraid i won't be there. i am however going to the guitar show in Birmingham in February. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    kin said:

There is a fair bit of this goes on already but I'm all in favour of it becoming a trend.

Martin (MJW) built me some power amps that I use with my modular amps at the workshop.
    It's been a pleasure making a few guitars for Adrian at Thorpy too.
    We have plans brewing for a guitar for Ash at Oil City too....

Also when we unveil our plans for our 25th Anniversary model guitars they will actually come with a special ThorpyFX pedal included in the bundle.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773

Martin (MJW) built me some power amps that I use with my modular amps at the workshop.

Don't suppose you'd need a 5W power amp in a tiny combo cab with a 1x10 in there?

Need to list that, I don't suppose you've tried either of yours with a Pod or Tonelab or the like? Thinking that might be my best angle to shift it... Just wondering if that'd work well as I've no way of testing.
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:

Don't suppose you'd need a 5W power amp in a tiny combo cab with a 1x10 in there?

Need to list that, I don't suppose you've tried either of yours with a Pod or Tonelab or the like? Thinking that might be my best angle to shift it... Just wondering if that'd work well as I've no way of testing.

what's it look like?
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2015

The one on the left (one on the right has gone already). Has a cover and was recently modified by Martin with a boost on a switch (adjustable inside if you pop the amp out). It's very wee. Indeed with the boost on you can plug a guitar straight into the front of it quite happily.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:

The one on the left (one on the right has gone already). Has a cover and was recently modified by Martin with a boost on a switch (adjustable inside if you pop the amp out). It's very wee. Indeed with the boost on you can plug a guitar straight into the front of it quite happily.

pmd
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited November 2015 tFB Trader

Well, the build is now under way. Here's a pic of the main parts of the amp itself. Obviously there's a million and one small parts not shown! :) I'll do a similar one when I start the cabinet.image

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Very excited for this
    tFB Trader
    This isn't really the subject of this thread but..... anyway i bought the power cab from @juansolo to use as a clean amp for some digital modelling.... anyway it had too much character so i sent the amp to @martinw to have him work his magic and turn it into a full blown amp...... this is what we came up with. 5W GOLDSTAR, with power scaling and voiced for Marshall crunch+ at one end and clean at the other... sounds wicked.

I thought it was broken initially as i couldn't tell it was on, its that bloody silent....

enjoy!

This bodes so well for the orion build, I'm chomping at the bit!
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom