Strap lock with endpin jack?

What's Hot
Does such a thing exist?! Ideally I'd like something that doesn't involve changing the endpin jack socket as the onboard preamp (a B-Band unit) is all part of the same thing. It's one of these:
http://www.b-band.com/uploads/Products/product_12/a2.jpg

My strap slipped of as I was picking it up the other day and so has got me a little worried - although when playing the tension on the strap makes it pretty solid so it's not an immediate problem.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The old Grolsch washer trick would be my suggestion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    If you're telling me to go and buy a bottle of Grolsch then I'm listening! Would it stretch over the strap button as unscrewing wouldn't work in my case?
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • It's worth a try - it may depend on the particular end pin and brand of beer? I've just tried it with my acoustic (with end pin jack) and an old spare washer I've got in my spares box (more 'dished' in shape than the type in the pick above) and that fits fine.

I believe you can get equivalent washers in black as well if you prefer the look - have a search on ebay. I think I've even seen them sold by guitar parts sellers.
    It's worth a try - it may depend on the particular end pin and brand of beer? I've just tried it with my acoustic (with end pin jack) and an old spare washer I've got in my spares box (more 'dished' in shape than the type in the pick above) and that fits fine.

I believe you can get equivalent washers in black as well if you prefer the look - have a search on ebay. I think I've even seen them sold by guitar parts sellers.
    I'll see if I've got any washers which I can stretch over it. I'm not sure why my original image is rendering but it looks like this:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    It's very difficult to get them to fit. Usually the only way is to make the hole in the strap much bigger so you can force it down onto the wider part of the jack and get the Grolsch washer to fit in the groove.

It's such a shame the standard endpin jacks are so crap in this way and because they are inherently unreliable. It's just that there is almost no alternative unless you want to drill another hole in the guitar somewhere.

If you can find one of these they're better for putting straplocks on:

… but they have the disadvantage that they have to be fitted from the outside, which means pulling the cable out though the hole and doing the soldering there, which is not always possible. And they have to be tightened from the inside of the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Easy peasy - order a Strapkeeper from Tapastring in the US. They're only $10 shipped.

They show a metal-bodied resonator hanging from one of these, and resos are blooming heavy, so it’s got to work.

• Drill a second hole an install a separate strap lock? Not attractive - and not ideal on a nice acoustic - but secure....
  • www.tapastring.com Strapkeeper
    KKJale said:
    Easy peasy - order a Strapkeeper from Tapastring in the US. They're only $10 shipped.

They show a metal-bodied resonator hanging from one of these, and resos are blooming heavy, so it’s got to work.

That strapkeeper looks pretty good, it's basically doing what icbm suggested of having the strap sit over the wide bit of the end pin and then using a washer in the groove, except that this uses an additional bit of leather rather than making the strap hole bigger.
    edited May 2016
    I finally got round to ordering a Strapkeeper! It arrived yesterday, which is just over 2weeks after ordering it from the USA - not too bad, but weirdly there wasn't any communication from the seller at all! No confirmation of the purchase (other than paypal receipt), no despatch notice, nothing at all - and no reply from them when I queried whether they'd actually received the order (EDIT: they did reply after all, my email had just ended up in their spam folder)

Anyway it looks nice and feels like quality leather, and it came nicely packaged. I'll get it put on my acoustic at my practice on Friday night and report back with how secure it feels.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    Drill a second hole an install a separate strap lock? Not attractive - and not ideal on a nice acoustic - but secure....
    That's what I did with my Yamaha, it has the advantage that it also tips the guitar slightly towards me too.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    Got it fitted and it really is very solid, so I'm really pleased - and it was only about £7.50 delivered.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    That's really very neat. I may have to get one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    edited June 2019
    BigMonka said:
    Got it fitted and it really is very solid, so I'm really pleased - and it was only about £7.50 delivered.
    To add to this thread if anyone is considering one:

I ordered one of these and at the same time ordered the Planet Waves doohickey which is their answer to the same problem.

The Planet Waves one is ingenious (uses a split holder that closes magnetically) so really easy to remove and fit the strap to the guitar but the extra length it adds to the strap is significant and required removing it again to adjust the strap, and also it means that the string is now what contacts the lower rim of your guitar (rather than the strap) which to me looked a bit naff and made me wonder if it'll rub badly.

The the circlip type arrived from the States and doesn't have either of these problems - very pleased with it 
    Red ones are better. 
    My Strapkeeper has now been going strong for 3years with no sign of it wearing or slipping or anything untoward.
    Highly recommended.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Does it become superfluous when you’ve actually plugged a cable in? Or are you talking about when you’re playing it acoustically, which is fair enough 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7419
    sev112 said:
    Does it become superfluous when you’ve actually plugged a cable in? Or are you talking about when you’re playing it acoustically, which is fair enough 
    It's only superfluous after plugging in if you're comfortable with any strap slippage being fine because the jack is now carrying the guitars weight. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 537
    edited June 2019
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    SteveF said:

Looks good, but you then have to get a strap lock on top of that.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Strapkeeper ordered last Thursday arrived today. - works well