Xotic AC or Subdecay LS ?

What's Hot
bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
So I've pretty much narrowed things down to these 2 pedals for the next purchase. I've tried the AC in person and loved it, but the more I check out some YT demos of the LS, it is a strong contender. 

I'm hoping there is a few folk out there who have tried both? It will be a jazzmaster/tele going into a DRRi. 

Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Liquid sunny

and if you hop over to the classifieds - im selling mine for just £80

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited November 2013

As someone who's had both and is even selling an AC, I'd go for the the LS and IMHO, it's more satisfying and more versatile. Apart from the low gain stuff it does so well, it's no slouch when you wind the gain up.

• I've had both...but not at the same time so I never AB'd them. I think I prefered the Liquid Sunshine (I've had both the V2 and V3) but it's difficult to compare without actually comparing if that makes sense.

The controls on the Xotic are a bit more straight forward, the regualr gain, volume, treble and bass, whilst the LS V3 has volume, drive and "emphasive" which took a bit of playing with to work out what was what (it's like a tone knob but also linked with the gain somehow). The V2 has volume and two drive controls which I actually found a bit confusing....but both versions do sound fantastic.

Of course the Liquid Sunshine is the (un)official forum favorite so you do need to own one at some point ;-)

• thanks for the advice guys, so what is it you didn't like about the AC? It's pretty much 99% that I won't be able to plug in a LS before I bought one which is a concern. 

@travisthedog is your LS a v2 or v3 ? 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2013
    bigfuzz said:
    thanks for the advice guys, so what is it you didn't like about the AC?

Nothing really, it was fine, but just didn't wow me. I got the AC and RC booster at the same time as they popped up in the classifieds for a good price (this was over a year ago I think). I've been on a drive pedal merry-go-round for years and I think I just got them as they were ones I hadn't tried yet.

However I'm begining to think that maybe it's actually my playing that's stopping me from sounding like Andy from the ProGuitarShop demos and not my gear purchases....hmmm

*edit*

How are you planning on using it? I was after something to go into a clean amp to give me a light drive/crunchy rhythm tone.

• @not_the_dj I had a similar idea in mind. Running in front of a very clean reverb channel, to give a rhythm tone with single coils. I would then run one of the fuzz pedals over the top (or separate). 

I've tried lots of ODs in shops (bought a few over the years) and I really want something what will keep the chime and clarity of a tele/jazzm but give it a bit more beef (not too much). 

I've spent far too much time on YT, how would some of the lovepedal offerings compare? I'm starting to wish I'd not set my sights on a new pedal!
  • Its the Silver one (V2 I think) , but someone may have beaten you to it bro!
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2013
    bigfuzz said:

I've spent far too much time on YT, how would some of the lovepedal offerings compare? I'm starting to wish I'd not set my sights on a new pedal!

There's a Lovepedal OD11 in the classifieds here for a bargain price, buy that (not mine, but I used to have one).

My favorite light OD pedal is the Timmy (I've got a ltd edition one with a different chip to the regular one), that's finally become a keeper, but the OD11 was pretty close (it's reported to be a Timmy clone anyway).

This one: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4463/fs-now-discontinued-lovepedal-od11-overdrive-pedal-mint-condition-final-price-reduction/p1

• ahhh always the way. it's my birthday tomorrow (really), would've been a nice present  ;)
    I had the V.3 and it'll do what you want plus it'll stack well with other ODs. Some say it's best to knock out the internal dip switch boosts, but you'll need to experiment.
    Personally, I've found the Zendrive can cover LS territory and a lot more, but that just confuses matters!
  • bigfuzz said:

There's a Lovepedal OD11 in the classifieds here for a bargain price, buy that (not mine, but I used to have one).

My favorite light OD pedal is the Timmy (I've got a ltd edition one with a different chip to the regular one), that's finally become a keeper, but the OD11 was pretty close (it's reported to be a Timmy clone anyway).

This one: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/4463/fs-now-discontinued-lovepedal-od11-overdrive-pedal-mint-condition-final-price-reduction/p1

OD11 vs. AC vs. LS  the plot thickens  >:D<
  • Kebabkid said:
    I had the V.3 and it'll do what you want plus it'll stack well with other ODs. Some say it's best to knock out the internal dip switch boosts, but you'll need to experiment.
    Personally, I've found the Zendrive can cover LS territory and a lot more, but that just confuses matters!
    As much as I'd like a zendrive, I doubt I'll ever be able to get one  ;) I only really need something quite subtle to get me going, the stack-a-bility is a big factor for me though. I'm trying to think of it as a 2nd channel on the amp and then kick on something extra if I ever feel like melting faces
    @bigfuzz - I don't think you'll be disappointed with the LS then and if it really doesn't suit, you know you can sell it here. :)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    The Liquid Sunshine is straight up brilliant. 

I've used one for ages and I've had shit loads of drive pedals and nothing compares to it for adding a bit of tweedy grit to a spanky amp. One of only 2 pedals I can't see myself ever selling.

In addition it's ace for pushing dirty amps and stacking with pedals that are otherwise fizzy.

It's also a unique pedal and not just a breathed on TS type. 

If I was going to throw another suggestion into the mix I'd say a Hotcake with Bluesberry. Great for low gain drive and sparkly clean boost (though the higher gain I don't like at all)
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited November 2013
    I have both an AC and an LS on the board. To be honest I don't really have a clear preference between the two. It varies from song to song/day to day without any particular rhyme or reason. I probably just get bored of the sound of one and use the other for a bit. 

I can fully see why so many people swear by the LS - it's got a really nice balance of warmth and grit, and the internal treble and bass boost switches really help to tweak it to work best with your amp.

If backed into a corner and threatened with a rolled up newspaper, I might venture that the AC has a slightly more 'hi-fi' sound - I think it's a little bit [BUZZWORD ALERT] smoother, and more transparent (and obviously the importance of these attributes tends to get hugely overhyped!)

At the end of the day I think both are great for low to medium gain duties, and there's a healthy second hand market on here with both of them being easily bought and sold quite regularly.

FWIW I also play through a DRRI, mostly at low volumes, and find both of these pedals suit it really well.