Fractal FX8 users question

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
@octatonic @dunstamus

Is the FX8 capable of doing the following within a patch (seamlessly)

Say I have a Rhythm tone - amp on Rhythm channel, little bit of delay etc etc 

Solo time comes, I just want to hit one switch which changes amp channel and change up my delay.

Solo finishes, just hit the same switch again and back to previous Rhythm sound.

I used to do something similar with the G system where I had a footswitch assigned to a specific patch which switched amp etc.

Can the FX8 do this with the F1-F3 switches?

and yes I am seriously thinking of going FX8 and cancelling my Helix pre-order (pissed off with waiting/lack of info)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Yes it can
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    You do this with scenes- I would configure it so you have scene 1 as your rhythm sound and then you press scene 2 button for your solo sound and then back to the scene 1 button for your rhythm sound.

You can also assign the channel switch to a dedicated controller switch (or not).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    welshboyo said:
    @octatonic @dunstamus

Is the FX8 capable of doing the following within a patch (seamlessly)

Say I have a Rhythm tone - amp on Rhythm channel, little bit of delay etc etc 

Solo time comes, I just want to hit one switch which changes amp channel and change up my delay.

Solo finishes, just hit the same switch again and back to previous Rhythm sound.

I used to do something similar with the G system where I had a footswitch assigned to a specific patch which switched amp etc.

Can the FX8 do this with the F1-F3 switches?

and yes I am seriously thinking of going FX8 and cancelling my Helix pre-order (pissed off with waiting/lack of info)

I am so close to ordering the FX8, trying to wait for forumites on here to get their Helix's first, but everything I have managed to read and watch about the FX8 has really impressed me.

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    Cheers @cbellanga @octatonic

So effectively you set your fx types and X/Y parameters and relays within a preset and then change states of those using scenes.

8 fx blocks per preset? With X/Y this gives you 2 different flavours per block so essentially 16 sounds in a preset? Am I right here?
  • Like octatonic said. The fx8 is designed to work with a tube amp specifically. The Helix isn't. Question above _ you are correct.
  • If you want to talk anything through. Pm me and I will give you my mobile.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Bollocks to it that's it, mail into PMT to cancel my order...
    welshboyo said:
    Cheers @cbellanga @octatonic

So effectively you set your fx types and X/Y parameters and relays within a preset and then change states of those using scenes.

8 fx blocks per preset? With X/Y this gives you 2 different flavours per block so essentially 16 sounds in a preset? Am I right here?
    SO MUCH more than that.

Each FX block has X&Y state and you have 8 scenes per preset.
    So in theory you have 2x8x8 combinations of each effect block per preset, so 128 or something.
    Per preset!!!

The thing to be aware of with the FX8 is if you want to use loads of 'expensive', in dsp terms, effects block- such as stereo reverb, quad/plex delays and intelligent pitch shifting then you will hit the limit of the CPU fairly quickly.

I find there you need to be fairly judicious about what you chose to use per preset- I have one patch that has pitch shifting but not plex delay, for example.

In real terms it is all fine- I never hit the limit for 'normal' guitar playing.
    It is only the crazy 'guitar that sounds like things other than guitar' the of playing that I have to worry about the CPU.

But I don't think you will have any trouble being able to build a guitar rig with a tube amp that sounds great and switches patches/scene pretty much immediately.
    edited October 2015
    This is how easy you can switch patches on the FX8.

A bit more:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    If you do go for the fx8, I suspect you won't have to wait long - mine should have arrived this week and I changed my order to the ax8 and I suspect a few other people will have done the same... 
    John_P said:
    If you do go for the fx8, I suspect you won't have to wait long - mine should have arrived this week and I changed my order to the ax8 and I suspect a few other people will have done the same... 
    How are you liking it John?
    Cheers @octatonic and @dunstanmus

Helped make my mind up for certain!!

I'm never ever going to use modelling if I'm honest, I just need a control centre for a valve amp rig, ok, the whole nice to have feature is something to think about but in reality I'm a gigging player with an amp behind me and always will be

@John_P what made you change to AX8 is it just the modelling that you have a need for outside gigging?

welshboyo said:

I'm never ever going to use modelling if I'm honest, I just need a control centre for a valve amp rig, ok, the whole nice to have feature is something to think about but in reality I'm a gigging player with an amp behind me and always will be

This is why I got it.
    I have an Axe FX 2 in the studio- I just wanted the FX architecture of that in a floorboard.

I had zero to do with the design of this unit but I, along with loads of other people, had asked for a certain number of essential features for a floorboard.
    Cliff implemented every single feature I could wish for in a floorboard- he really listened.
    The only thing I wish for is two more expression pedal inputs but that is nitpicking really.
    I'm in the same boat as you Welshboyo.
    Amp modelling is wasted on me, good to know im not the only one who's thought twice about the Helix.
    I very nearly went ahead with the fx8 - the spec is perfect for gigs.      

I just thought there might be times when the modelling might be handy and the difference in price shouldn't be much. 

I get that the fx8 is designed around the way I'll use effects and I'll be running the ax8 with the amp models disabled most of the time but I can live with that, for the advantage of having the amp models ready if I have an amp fault or for recording.  I've got a temporary live rig using a gt5 or pedals that will cover me while I'm waiting so I figured I'd get the ax.
    @Octatonic

How would you use 4 expression pedals?

Also is there anyway of using an Ernie Ball volume pedal as an expression pedal?
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 91
    edited October 2015
    John_P said:

I just thought there might be times when the modelling might be handy and the difference in price shouldn't be much. 

I get that the fx8 is designed around the way I'll use effects and I'll be running the ax8 with the amp models disabled most of the time but I can live with that, for the advantage of having the amp models ready if I have an amp fault or for recording.  I've got a temporary live rig using a gt5 or pedals that will cover me while I'm waiting so I figured I'd get the ax.

Not sure the Ax8 has the hum cancelling technology for 4cm. II can't believe I am saying this being a valve total fanboy. I have ordered AX8. Will use for modelling though on small stages
    DavusPG said:
    @Octatonic

How would you use 4 expression pedals?

Also is there anyway of using an Ernie Ball volume pedal as an expression pedal?
    Hard to give a succinct answer.
    One dedicated to wah, one dedicated to volume, in a variety of locations.
    The other two might control anything from pitch wet/dry level, to ring mod freq, to delay wet/dry mix, to chorus rate, plex delay pitch level, pitch interval.
    Or any of these, all at once.

Fractal's expression architecture is extremely flexible.
  • PwaloPwalo Frets: 113
    John_P said:

Not sure the Ax8 has the hum cancelling technology for 4cm. II can't believe I am saying this being a valve total fanboy. I have ordered AX8. Will use for modelling though on small stages

How/where did you order your ax8? Can't see it on G66 site....
    Pwalo said:
    John_P said:

How/where did you order your ax8? Can't see it on G66 site....

Just email Sussi at G66 and she'll add you to the list.