Oil City Pickups: rewinding a very scummy 1972 Jazz bass PU

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
Here we have a very scummy 1972 Fender J Bass pickup sent to me for a rewind. The pictures don't do justice to the level of 'mank' here! Sweat reusted poles, enamel
 insulation breaking down, the whole thing smelling of mildew ... bleeerrrrk. 

The rubber cushion seems to have been stuck on with a compound similar to bitumen, and with age it has mixed its self up with the solder joints. Damn it smelt bad when I un-soldered the hookup wires!

Right, wire removed to show no tape on the bobbins ... or lacquer. The former definitely dates it to 1972 ... and helps explain why the pickup failed. After 72 the almost always taped the bobbins on JB pickups and they fail from shorts less regularly in my experience.

Most of the gunge removed from the bottom flatwork ... and here you will see the slightly projecting magnets which are the reason for the little spacer jig I used in the winding shot!

Here I've taped the coil to prevent the same shorting fault happening again.

The tape is sprayed with nitro laquer  as 'belt and braces'.

Here is the pickup being hand scatter wound. The original was a very crappy machine wind ... it appears they didn't centre the bobbin properly, and all the early layers were built up against one side of the flatwork. A scatter wind will improve the tone anyway.

Wound

And now potted ... lightly in wax

imageimage

And the job's a good'un!
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    Awesome work again, love seeing these old pickups get a refresh. Do you have a test rig to make sure these work when you've done them?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    I have a cheap Harley Benton J bass 'mule' and a similar P bass ... both actually pretty okay basses in their own right ... that can be used to test bass pickups. Bit stuck for Rick ones mind! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    This is ace, really interesting to see how you go about your work!

looking forward to seeing the Super Distortion you rewound for me, not that I'm pressing you of course!
    tFB Trader
    Sarge said:
    This is ace, really interesting to see how you go about your work!

looking forward to seeing the Super Distortion you rewound for me, not that I'm pressing you of course!
    That was posted back to you an age ago recorded! Oh dear ... PM me

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    Lol, I got it back, you just said that it was going to feature in a photo story of it's rewinding. Don't panic bud :)
    tFB Trader
    phew!

• I think that "bitumen" IS the rubber cushion which rots over time.
    tFB Trader
    I think that "bitumen" IS the rubber cushion which rots over time.
    Well manky anyway lol ,,, 
    There will be a 'Masterwound' Oil City pick based on this rewind by the way ... but upping the output over the originals for more punch and growl.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    A scatter wind will improve the tone anyway.
    Tone?! It's a bass pickup! It just needs to go Thud and no-one will ever notice the difference.

;)

Above and beyond the call of duty with this one! Yuck. I'd probably have recommended just sticking a Duncan in or something :).

Nice to see you fix the design faults as well as simply repairing them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Lol ... well 72 Jazz basses tended to go sorta clank rather than thud due to their low wind pickups :-) 
    I prefer to wind Jazz bass pickups a tad hotter to help them compete with P Bass. I think originality was in mind for this owner, but my own Jazz bass 'HardMan' is far more of a beast.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Ah, well if you're actually making new ones I'd use one of those instead of a Duncan :).

Speaking of correcting design flaws, is it possible to do a humbucker which fits in a Rick 4001 bridge pickup mounting without incurring the Wrath Of RIC? I've got an old Kent Armstrong (guitar mini-humbucker with bar polepieces, I think - original neck pickup from an Eggle Broadway) in mine that happened to fit perfectly after a little work, and sounds great. It's essential given the amount of fuzz I use on bass, but is another of the things RIC won't fix. Their humbucker is good in the neck but doesn't sound right in the bridge, it's too muddy - and too thin if you wire it in parallel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    If people buy their own rick surrounds ... it is not my concern if a pickup I happen to make happens to fit it ... pure coincidence. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom