Help me feel better about overpaying for this MIJ Precision

What's Hot
xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
So I've just done an impulse purchase on eBay for this.

I decided to buy a bass today (a friend offered me some gigs on bass), and this was the sort of thing I had in mind for the sort of money I planned to spend. A mate who is obsessed with P-basses reckoned it was a good price, so I just gambled. For reasons best known to my subconscious, I decided to search eBay completed listings only after I paid for it, which has led to me thinking what I paid (£420 delivered) is the upper end of what it might be worth.

Of course, it might be an absolute beaut, in which case no worries, but if I want to sell it on, I've got a feeling I'm looking at a loss.

I don't normally make big impulse buys, but when I do, I obviously go crazy!
My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fnptfnpt Frets: 746
    edited October 2015
    I don't think that you overpaid and that's a lovely bass. How much does a squier cv p bass cost these days anyway?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    edited October 2015
    That sounds a fair price to me. Then again, I could be wrong but I have seen MIJ 90s basses sell for over £500 regularly.

*EDIT* sorry I didn't actually read the ad, I don't know anything about Squier JV prices on basses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Looks really nice.

Like you I suspect that's the upper end of the value. Those early Squiers have an excellent reputation so I'm sure it will be a great bass.

There's a lot of MIJ / Squier experts over at basschat, I'm sure they could give you more info.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I wouldn't worry about that at all if I liked the bass. bit of a numpty doing the search afterwards though ....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you everyone. Of course, because I asked you to help me feel better I can never know if you're being honest, but I do now actually feel better.

Bit annoyed that I paid Sunday night and it's not showing as dispatched yet, though.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

MIJ Squiers from that period are just fantastic. My mate had a squier silver series strat that is still the best stat I've played to date. I've got a JV strat which is also awesome.

Don't think you've paid particularly over the odds, and should hopefully be a great player.

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Works both ways... Maybe it's a stroke of luck that you didn't check the prices if it turns out to be the best bass you've ever owned :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's here!

Arrived grubby as hell, truss rod out of whack, neck not perfectly installed, strings dead, very much not with an alder body, and blessed with some dents not shown in the photos.

Now those things (apart from the dents and alder body) are sorted out, it's a very nice bass. Still not worth what I paid, and still not a silver series, but I like it. Hope I can resolve something with the seller, because I don't really want to return it now I've cleaned it up and got it sounding good. Of course, you could say I should have spoken to the seller before doing that (and you'd be right) but I couldn't tell if it was worth keeping or not until all that had been done.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532

If you love playing it, it's priceless.. enjoy !

• 5redlights5redlights Frets: 317
    edited October 2015
    Think the MIJ Squiers around 1993 were all basswood. Being 1993 it should still be a silver series, but I don't think they put the silver series mark on all of the headstocks. 

Think you'd be looking at around £300 for it if you sold it on, maybe £350. 

It really is lovely though, and if you hold on to it, silver series era squiers will start going the way of the JV and SQ squiers as they start to get rarer/more expensive. 
  • I hate to go against the grain but I think you overpaid - I would have thought around the £300.00 mark - Unless it came with a good quality hard case - Sorry.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Looks lovely. Maybe a smidge over market but who cares it's a good bass. Judge it when it arrives. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited January 2016 tFB Trader
    If it plays well (after some tweaking) and sounds good then console yourself that you have a nice bass which will give you years of playing pleasure.

I have a 91 Squier strat that transcends it's brand or status and i just kick ass.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• If it plays well (after some tweaking) and sounds good then console yourself that you have a nice bass which will give you years of playing pleasure.

I have a 91 Squier strat that transcends it's brand or status and i just kick ass.
    Show off!
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom