I seriously NEVER thought I would do this..

What's Hot
paulkpaulk Frets: 318
Rave about a pick, that is.

A few weeks ago I ordered a truss rod cover from http://www.hellguitars.com/index.html. As a small courtesy Michael, the owner, threw in one of their "super black" picks ( a 2mm ). Now, I've used nothing but Dunlop tortex for ever and really never thought that any sort of pick could be much better. I just got my eyes opened!!! I loved it and straight away ordered a bunch more. They just feel great!

So, if any of you are searching around for a pick I really recommend you give these a try. They are also VERY good value and the turnaround time (shipping from Japan to NL) was very quick.

Just a heads up folks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3450
    Just ordered some picks from them. They'd better be good, Paul, or you have a lot to answer for (£5.97)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Let me know how you like them George!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the best general purpose pick is the Dunlop 0.55mm rigid stainless. For a slightly more mellow jazz/blues tone try IcePix or TeckPick rigid brass.

For bass I use a Jazz-III but that's only 'cos I don't want my fingernails ripped off the ends of my fingers otherwise I wouldn't use a pick for bass.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Got them yesterday, really nice, especially the 2mm. They are kind of soft so the 2mm is the right amount of rigid. The 3mm is grotesquely fat, yet because of its mass it makes picking effortless, pity it doesn't fit that well in the space between the strings. 
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    I've used Jazz III's for years. I'd feel like a total cheater if I was to even sample something different, haha.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3965
    Just ordered some myself, I usually use 3mm Stubby picks so these seem interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • olsols Frets: 10
    Just ordered a variety pack. I am a sworn tortex user so it will be interesting to see how these fare against old faithful. Not sure if original post was marketing BS though. Probably was.
    ols said:
    Just ordered a variety pack. I am a sworn tortex user so it will be interesting to see how these fare against old faithful. Not sure if original post was marketing BS though. Probably was.
    It it was it worked!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Marketing BS or not it cost me £5.97 for 7 picks so not that bad to try something new. For the record, I'm an Ultex Jazz III user but due to the way I grip the pick (think George Benson or Tosin Abasi) the pick's sleek surface makes it rotate. These are bang on in terms of grip. Something else I like are their soft touch, which works well w/ my hybrid picking. 
    Absolutely, it's always good to try new things and I look forward to the delivery of my new picks
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    If anyone fancys selling a 1mm or 2mm i'd love to try one out.

How does the material compare to Donlope Gator grips?
    Ionian, these seem to be a similar material to the Gators but are concave on both sides so the fleshy bits of your fingers have somewhere to grip.
    Ionian;11171" said:
    If anyone fancys selling a 1mm or 2mm i'd love to try one out.
    You can buy a mixed set on the website for £3-4 delivered.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    Dunlop nylon 1.0mm for me all the way...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    It wasn't marketing BS - I was just sharing my experience. I have no affiliation with the folks that make these at all. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750

Just clicked on the site-  the guitars look pretty tasty as well (not sure about the headstock though)  

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Fine, I just ordered 2 packs of 1mm. I'm a long time fan of Ultex Jazz IIIs also, but I keep wishing they were a bit more flexible. I get a similar effect to a thinner pick by just holding them less hard, but it's not quite the same... Look forward to trying them!
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    These look alot like dunlop's primetones. I use nothing but the 5.0mm ones. It's a pity that their max thickness only goes up to 3.2mm. I'd be glad to find a cheaper alternative's to JDs.
  • Well I've got short fat fingers and they look like they might be ideal for me. That's one set ordered for a trial.
    just recieved them in the post - along with a jazz prototype pick too. They are certainly the most comfortable and fastest playing picks I have used! Now just have to see how they affect my amp tone compared to an ultex