Amaj7 to B - which scales would you use?

What's Hot
Just wondering how other people would approach this progression, as in what scales/notes they would choose - and why.  It's just two bars on each chord.  The first chord is A major 7 and the second is a simple B major.

The responses might help me work out whether there are options are ideas I'm missing :)
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would use F# Dorian, which is the same as A lydian.  If I really wanted to bring out the Lydian sound I would focus on G# minor pentatonic.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    You could also treat that as a IV V, but that would imply the B as a B7.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    As Lydian is the IV, isn't that theoretically the same as how @bingefeller would approach it?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited October 2015
    Two major chords a tone apart are very often IV and V, especially as the A is an A major7, consistent with Lydian. But it could also the VI and VII of C# minor (still lydian and mixo, like all along the watchtower), ie, playing c# aeolian works throughout the sequence
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • viz;822233" said:
    Two major chords a tone apart are very often IV and V, especially as the A is an A major7, consistent with Lydian. But it could also the VI and VII of C# minor (still lydian and mixo, like all along the watchtower), ie, playing c# aeolian works throughout the sequence
    Of course. Doh.

I use C# aeolian for this. I'm just trapped in the relative approach to modes and most comfortable in aeolian or ionian, and it pretty much feels like cheating, or lazy.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    i like keeping things simple i would use Emaj.. but add other stuff in along the way :)
  • I made a backing track of Amaj7 to B and played over it

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefeller;822345" said:
    I made a backing track of Amaj7 to B and played over it

Did you use a specific scale/mode/pattern?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Ah, F# dorian!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    Some lush stuff there old bean.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • This is the track I was referring to:

https://m.soundcloud.com/nosoapnoradio/smile-on-my-face

Pretty much improvised throughout. I intend to actually write a proper intro piece, hence the question.

My band, Red For Dissent
    octatonic said:
    As Lydian is the IV, isn't that theoretically the same as how @bingefeller would approach it?
    In a sense but bingefeller was being prescriptive regarding what scale to play.
    If you consider the Amaj7 to be a IV chord there are many, many more scales you could use, other than just lydian.
    My point was by thinking of it as a IV V7 you have all sorts of substitutions you could use, rather just approaching it diatonically.
  • Is there a guide to substitutions you would recommend?

My band, Red For Dissent
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited October 2015
    Is there a guide to substitutions you would recommend?
    @imalrightjack when I was playing over it I was thinking about F# Dorian, A triad, B triad, Emaj7 arpeggio and I think I used a lick in G# minor pentatonic.  

I was focussing a lot on the A and B triad pair and anytime I played the Emaj7 arpeggio it was over the B chord.  

Using the B triad over the A maj7 will bring out the lydian sound.  
    edited October 2015
    Is there a guide to substitutions you would recommend?
    Sure- it is a bit of a pandora's box- it is better to approach it from the perspective of what is the chord doing, rather than 'what scale do I play here?'

You could treat the V chord as a ii V I, so instead of playing B major you play F#m, B7, Emaj7.
    The IV chord you could look at as a I chord of a ii V I, so instead of playing A Major you play Bm7, E7, Amaj7.
    You could use a tritone subs on either the B7, or the E7, which is itself a ii V I sub.
    You could you an augmented on the 5th scale degree (so a flat III+) for any of the dominants.
    You could flatten any V chord by one semitone.

Get the Levine Jazz theory book.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually own it. I felt rather overwhelmed quite quickly. Must try again!

My band, Red For Dissent
    I actually own it. I felt rather overwhelmed quite quickly. Must try again!
    Ok, cool- it is all in there.
    Yes, it can be overwhelming- approach it one idea at a time.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Just wondering how other people would approach this progression, as in what scales/notes they would choose - and why.  It's just two bars on each chord.  The first chord is A major 7 and the second is a simple B major.

The responses might help me work out whether there are options are ideas I'm missing :)
    What impact are you trying to achieve?  To emphasise the chord changes you could use A and B major over the two chords.  A major and B mixolydian would have a similar impact, but provide greater continuity because there is one less difference between the two scales.  There's a nice chromatic note sequence between the two: A Ab A Bb B.  At the other extreme the F# minor scale minimises the change between the A maj7 and B chords.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Ditto regarding the two major chords one tone apart signalling Emaj as root scale. 
    If I knew in advance I'd play something diatonic but if not I might do Amaj or A lydian or A mixolydian over the Amaj7 and then the same but in B over the B. If anything sounded pants I'd pick up on it and change next time through!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

First thing I'd do is work out if the maj7 sounded wrong for either of them. If so was one or both a dominant chord.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?