And then there was just one.

GruGru Frets: 339
Well it's official, I am a one acoustic man

It all happened quite quickly if I'm honest, but started off with the realisation that I wasn't enjoying the LX1E.

I took the LX1 away on holiday, which was the whole point of owning one, it fitted in the car without issue and was robust, but i was disappointed with the sound. I then got home and hardly picked it up, my 000 size Martin getting much more play. Every time I picked the LX up, I put it back in the case disappointed.

Recently I had had enough and sold the LX1.

I then needed a replacement, something that was easy to play, compact, gig bag, everything I liked about the LX1, but with better sound.

Enter the GS Mini.
Initially I was looking at the Dreadnought Jr or GS mahogany version, but eventually after a/b comparisons. Walked away with the GS mini in Spruce and Rosewood. It is a stunning guitar, can sound huge, but equally at home with softer finger picking.

Then I made the decision to only have 1 guitar (crazy?!?) and sold my remaining Martin. Yikes! Quite hastily I may add.

For 4 days after selling I wondered if I had done the right thing and was the new sound right for me. Today I have a day off and have actually amazed myself with how flexible this guitar is, finger picking, melodies, strumming (thumb and pick) it really seems to do everything well in a very comfortable package. Yes it can get a little cramped past the 7th fret, but I don't often play chords past that point.

For the first time in 2 years I have actually felt comfortable strumming with a pick. Granted this could be a natural progression that would have happened anyway, but it just feels easier and sounds better.

Not much else to say really (apart from if you want a LX1, don't, get one of the GS mini range, sorry Martin)

How long the 1 guitar household lasts I don't know, but I certainly feel no need to get another (just yet ;-) )
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    Did you need to get anything done with the nut? The nut set up on ones I have seen recently was bordering on comical. Big gaps underneath, and where it meets the fretboard. And action at the nut so high, that chords sounded a mile out of tune in the first few frets.

They definitely needed work to make them playable. Not a huge deal I guess. Or alternatively buy a capo and you would be fine. :)
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113

Nice! I'm not sure I could do it though, although thinking back to the early days of playing where I just had one acoustic and one electric make me wonder if that's the direction I'll eventually head.

I just find it so hard to sell stuff.

• GruGru Frets: 339
    CloudNine;827030" said:
    Did you need to get anything done with the nut? The nut set up on ones I have seen recently was bordering on comical. Big gaps underneath, and where it meets the fretboard. And action at the nut so high, that chords sounded a mile out of tune in the first few frets.

They definitely needed work to make them playable. Not a huge deal I guess. Or alternatively buy a capo and you would be fine. :)
    The nut seems ok. A little high on the grooves, but something that will be easy to sort. Not enough to make playing difficult. I am sure the odd tweak here and there would make it even better.

In comparison, the nut on my old LX1E was awful when I got it.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    It isn't my only acoustic - but I love my GS Mini.

The only issue with the nut on mine was it was slightly sharp-edged on the treble side. A few seconds with a file sorted that.

In terms of what really matters (spacing, string height and tuning stability) it was spot on.
  • Taylor has always been hit or miss for me
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I attended the Taylor roadshow recently and played a couple of wonderful guitars. Two that stood out for me were a custom 12 fret and a Baritone. But unfortunately both are out of my price range at the moment.

Not everyone I played excited me though. Being a player with a soft touch, the ones that I could really feel resonate were the ones that felt great.