The Shard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27495
    Was it my pronunciation?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think it's incredible, and the feat of building it.
    My V key is broken
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I like the Shard. 
    People complained about St Pauls because it was too modern and out of place. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited August 2013
    I dislike it because it's ugly and looks unfinished, not because it's modern or out of place. I like a lot of modern buildings, including ones that don't "fit" with their surroundings - which is usually a good thing.

The proportions are wrong - to make it look 'shard' like, it needed to be thinner and/or taller (preferably both). The surface appearance is crude and cheap-looking too, and the top just looks a mess.

It does't look as bad at night, I admit.

As as for being the tallest building in western Europe, the Eiffel Tower is taller and was built over a hundred years ago. (Yes, I know it's technically not a "building".) It's tiny compared to many recent skyscrapers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• j_rj_r Frets: 4
    bertie said:
    its London,  how the hell can it be stunning ?  :-q
    Not a Londoner then?  ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/mar/01/st-pauls-cathedral-300-years-on

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    TTony said:
    Was it my pronunciation?
    No, my eyesight.

I feel like the only person who likes the Shard. I like Orbit too, having had a view of it being built from my old flat. In any case, the Burj Khalifa is better :p

Downtown Dubai from Burj Khalifa

That looks like a screenshot from Sim City.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    I feel like the only person who likes the Shard. I like Orbit too, having had a view of it being built from my old flat. In any case, the Burj Khalifa is better :p

Downtown Dubai from Burj Khalifa

That looks like a screenshot from Sim City.

:D

The rate they're building it almost looks like it in real-time too. That was taken about a year ago; the top half of the picture would have twice as many towers now.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    I'm curious: What's it like living there? I always imagined that you'd have to move from one air-conditioned building/car to the next in order to stave off dying from dehydration/heatstroke/sunburn for as long as possible.

I'm curious: What's it like living there? I always imagined that you'd have to move from one air-conditioned building/car to the next in order to stave off dying from dehydration/heatstroke/sunburn for as long as possible.
    Sounds about right. At the moment it's a bit ridiculous. 40 degrees most days means you can't realistically go outside for more than 15 minutes or so at a time, but everything's air-conned so it's not a major problem. Ramadan has just finished too, which is good- no eating & drinking in public is a hassle when it's this hot.

But when it's a bit cooler it's fantastic- hot but not daft in the day and beautiful in evening. Plenty of places to go and eat/drink outdoors too, which is great. 

We should get our new car in the next couple of weeks, so planning trips to the zoo and mountains...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ooooh! I'm thinking Nissan R37, or maybe Porsche GT3RS looking at that awesome road.

Yeh. I fancied a Golf GTI but the waiting list is till Christmas. A regular Golf has to do for now :)