Got wud? My (now updated with more colours) wudtone taster thread.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27484
    edited November 2013
    I'll just share these - my Wudtoned work from the summer - although I also have to admit that they're yet to be finished (apart from the two Teles obviously!)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha fair bit more pro than mine!

They look lovely though, that red tele! Yum.

I've just top coated the two smaller pieces and they have gone from nice to nicer. A few more and they will be beautiful, as when the top coat was still wet (took all of 5 minutes to dry!) it was incredible. A few more and they will gloss up, pics tomorrow.

Extra colour on the sanded back, popped maple has made the purple and blue green turn stunning. Again, pics tomorrow.

Andy, if you read this, feel free to use these pics! Also, I am more than happy to send you these offcuts for you to do your own samples. I've left these at 180 grit, quite rough, so with extra time, you could get stunning results for your site. Just use a belt sander to remove half a mil or so! It's lovely looking wood.

I've decided, during this, to not use a mahogany back and sides, but use dark onyx instead and go for a black/grey back and sides (made from mahogany - will this work?) and a maple cap with black sanded back and amaranthine on top. Yummy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Okay, here we go.

The green blue (azure lagoon) on the big piece (which was black and sanded back) looks quite faded and a bit naff.  After a second coat, this has turned really quite deep and lovely (pic will be tomorrow after it has dried and when I have proper light).  The others look amazing, especially the purple, over the black.

The azure lagoon smaller piece had a second coat and looks lovely.  Tonight, I've put on a very, very thin top coat of gloss and it's really helped the colours gain some depth.  After several of these thin coats, I've no doubt they'll look great.  Again, pics tomorrow. (will do a second coat, too).  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • awesome work, just got home after a couple of days on the road, can't keep up with you guys.
  • dark onyx instead and go for a black/grey back and sides (made from mahogany - will this work?) and a maple cap with black sanded back and amaranthine on top. Yummy.

hiya plan sounds good
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27484
    Love it!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited November 2013
    Here we go.  The two small bits have had two top coats (gloss, no tint) and the big piece has just one.  They are starting to get some depth and shine, but each top coat goes on super thin (no, really, as thin as you can!).  This means (on my jazzmaster I did this) you need several top coats (I think I used ten) but it still stays thin - it's just very level and smooth.  I'll not top coat any more because I'm hard up for cash and I'll be needing these finishing kits in a month or two for a guitar (I already have to order some more black from Andy for the back and sides).  Certain deeper parts of the grain are still rough and deep - these will need several coats to 'fill up' so to speak.  If using base coats on top of the deep colour, this will serve that purpose.  

Here is the same shot with flash to show the shine and contrast

After several top coats, all the grain will be smoothed over and have that 3D effect.  Then it just needs wire wool (0000 grade) and a polish to get super smooth and shiny.  

•  @ThePrettyDamned that Azure Lagoon looks like it is made of pure GREEN (with apologies to Blackadder).  If it looked like on the site I'd be tempted for my latest thinline bitsa. 
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • Fusionista;358011" said:
     @ThePrettyDamned that Azure Lagoon looks like it is made of pure GREEN (with apologies to Blackadder).  If it looked like on the site I'd be tempted for my latest thinline bitsa. 
    The colour is blue, but the maple itself was quite yellow - I suspect a white piece of swamp ash would have it blue blue.

On the other hand, get a yellower piece of it, and you could get a green guitar :)

You do have that bloody awesome looking offset tele beast in green already though ;)
  • You do have that bloody awesome looking offset tele beast in green already though ;)
    Awesome sounding too :)  

Think I'm going to ask @sinbaadi if he'd like to sell some of that colour he's got left from the kit competition...
  • Fusionista;358030" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:You do have that bloody awesome looking offset tele beast in green already though ;)

Think I'm going to ask @sinbaadi if he'd like to sell some of that colour he's got left from the kit competition...
    If you want to experiment at all, I might have a few wudtones left.
  • Fusionista;358030" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:You do have that bloody awesome looking offset tele beast in green already though ;)

Thanks for the offer, but I'm happy to wait until the Muse takes me and then pay the going rate. Don't think Wudtone lasts that long. Still got some T'bird Blue but likely bin it as it's a year old now.
  • Fusionista;358236" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Fusionista;358030" said:ThePrettyDamned said:You do have that bloody awesome looking offset tele beast in green already though ;)

Thanks for the offer, but I'm happy to wait until the Muse takes me and then pay the going rate. Don't think Wudtone lasts that long. Still got some T'bird Blue but likely bin it as it's a year old now.
    That's concerning. I've used year old dark onyx and it was alright, but I guess I should check on an offcut...

Looking forward to the build thread ;)