The Too Valuable To Play Syndrome

What's Hot
tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Usual story My teacher has a very rich friend who collects guitars but does not play. Rich guy lives in Vienna where the temperature is 40 plus. On one of them the back has split at the top Whoops. What should I advised selling the guitars and getting a life. 

Anyone else come across this. Bought a guitar and frightened to gig it or take it out of the case in case it gets damaged or loses value as its an investment 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 616
     cant really see the point in having good guitars and not playing them...thats the fun of having them ...its like having a sports car and leaving it parked in the garage....no point..:)
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    This is why I'd never want to own a properly old Fender or Gibson or something.

Earliest I'd want to go would be late 60s/early 70s. Usually still nice guitars (I've played very few properly bad 70s Fenders or Gibsons despite the reputation they have) and with the "something" vintage guitars have, but much less valuable so I wouldn't feel so apprehensive about playing them as they're meant to be played.

I wouldn't have a '59 Les Paul or whatever even if I could afford it. I'd be terrified of damaging it...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    I'd happily 'damage' a '59 Les Paul. If it was mine, I'd just play it.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    As would I.
    If I can afford to buy it then I will use it.

Otherwise you're just a curator.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    octatonic said:
    As would I.
    If I can afford to buy it then I will use it.

Otherwise you're just a curator.
    What I mean is I'd rather not have one at all! I'd rather have some nice old stuff that's not worth as much and play it properly.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    i read somewhere that bernie marsdens 59 is so valuable he is not allowed
    to keep it at home
    :-/
    whats the point in that!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    edited August 2013
    One of my guitars (^ that one!) has become so valuable since I got it that I now think a bit more carefully before I take it out to some gigs - not because I'm scared of scratching it, since it's beaten up anyway - but because I couldn't afford to replace it. I'm actually not that pleased it's gone up in value so much, since I don't intend to sell it... it's a nuisance really. [/First World problem]

Classical violinists use Stradivaris etc that are worth millions on stage. One had hers nicked in Starbucks a few years back, and it's only just been recovered... so electric guitarists worrying about gigging a plank that's only worth a few grand is a bit silly really.

If I was Bernie Marsden I'd probably just sod the insurance and keep the thing at home. No point in having it otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I bet he does the owd rebel he is :)
  • Plenty of famous players still gig vintage guitars. Mark Knopfler uses a late '50s Les Paul, a ''54 Strat & Tele. Apparently Joe Bonamassa uses a number of vintage LPs on tour. People at this level probably have sufficient security to make it viable (though Tom Petty's security ran off with several vintage guitars a few months ago, including Mike Campbell's Broadcaster! Thankfully they were recovered).

To be honest, I'd be nervous taking my '64 335 out on a local gig as if it were damaged or stolen, I could afford to replace it.
  • ICBM;7079" said:
    One of my guitars (^ that one!) has become so valuable since I got it that I now think a bit more carefully before I take it out to some gigs - not because I'm scared of scratching it, since it's beaten up anyway - but because I couldn't afford to replace it. I'm actually not that pleased it's gone up in value so much, since I don't intend to sell it... it's a nuisance really. [/First World problem]
    I must have missed this meeting?!? You've got a 59? I'd like to see some pictures of that please!
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    badlydrawnbanjo said:I must have missed this meeting?!? You've got a 59? I'd like to see some pictures of that please!
    He means the RIC in his avatar.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    jatgtr said:
    i read somewhere that bernie marsdens 59 is so valuable he is not allowed
    to keep it at home
    :-/
    whats the point in that!
    In 1996 I saw it propped against a wall with no stand at a guitar fair in Leeds.

At the same show I also played a Les Paul that supposedly was another original 59. I quite liked it, but had no idea what I was doing. I was told it was with 25 grand. Would have been a good investment if it really was original.
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited August 2013
    Can I give myself a face palm?

Without it turning into a pissing contest, I wonder who has the most valuable (in terms of £'s, not emotional value) guitar on the forum?
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    I'd still play and mess with any thing I own,
    I cant help it.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Can I give myself a face palm?

Without it turning into a pissing contest, I wonder who has the most valuable (in terms of £'s, not emotional value) guitar on the forum?
    For just one instrument, I'd say Skipped and his LP.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    When I teched for Matt Schofield at the IGF, my main job was keeping geeky punters away from his guitars ;) rough reckoning there was about £50000's worth of guitars in that rack, but he still took 'em all out and gave them a thrashing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited August 2013
    I would buy antique guitars then start a museum, if any of them were in a playable state i'd give em a tickle.
    Old Is Gold
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited August 2013
    Did any of you see the BBC4 programme: Secret Knowledge - Stradivarius and Me

It puts a perspective on all those PRS guitars and others hiding in cases under beds around the globe

BBC blurb: Clemency Burton-Hill indulges in her lifelong passion for the instrument as she explores the mysterious life and lasting influence of Stradivari - through four special violins on display at this summer's Stradivarius exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.       (exhibition on till 11 Aug)

It was aired on 15th July, but they will no doubt repeat it again…

all that is available on the site is a 5 min clip of Stradivari’s oldest known violin.

Here is the whole programme on youtube - part 1 & part 2  -  enjoy

I have to say I was spell-bound by the whole program.

• duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Has anyone seen John5 collection? He has been collecting for years to get a Fender telecaster/broadcaster from every year since production began.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Lixarto said:
    badlydrawnbanjo said:I must have missed this meeting?!? You've got a 59? I'd like to see some pictures of that please!
    He means the RIC in his avatar.
    Ha, yes! It's a Rickenbacker 381V69, which currently retail for £4.5K - even as battered as mine is I'd guess it's worth at least half that. I swapped a PRS worth a grand for it when they were much less expensive new.

Although if I had a '59 Les Paul I'd still use that and not worry about scratching it. It's the theft or total write-off risk which worries me.

When I played PRSs with my band I always wanted a Dragon so I could gig it and really piss off the PRS collectors :) - plus I thought one would look great with a bit of natural wear and tear.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein