Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you have perfect pitch?

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10693
Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Not perfect, (2/4 on test) but excellent relative pitch, which is great for playing guitar and also for not grimacing when records are half a tone out from standard to match a piano or whatever,
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Cool. I got 4/4 ;) but I think they should have ordered the questions 2, 3, 4, 1 - put the concert pitch one at the end because it put us immediately into relative pitch once we knew it was an A.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I can tell you that I don't without doing a test. Far from it. 

I recall reading a Vai interview once where he said he taught himself via sleep learning amongst other things. I think that another was having an A note droning in the background a lot.
  • Absolutely not. Thankfully.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Flawed test. Got them all right but I know I don't have perfect pitch, just OK relative pitch. I just sang the intervals from note to note, once you knew the first one it was fairly easy. They should have kept the answers until the end.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    know butt eye reed purr fecked leigh. Did you mean "hear"? you might mean perceive ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    No. Good relative pitch though. Although... there is this weird thing I sometimes get, where just before a TV theme starts, I'm able to imagine and hum the tune at the right pitch - so I guess that's a kind of pitch memory thing happening. But it's not all that reliable. Don't know if anyone's observed a similar thing themselves?
  • @Megii
    yep I do that :)
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    @Megii
    yep I do that :)
    Bugger, I thought I was special... :D
  • We're both special :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Can you transcribe from memory though?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited October 2015
    I read recently (sorry, I can't remember a link - it was on the BBC News site) about a piece of research where it was proved even those with so-called perfect pitch would not notice when the reference pitches were moved ever so slowly away from concert pitch over time. This shift was done very gradually. The vast majority of test subjects with 'perfect pitch' had not noticed the shift. It would seem that 'perfect' pitch is a lot more complicated and nuanced than is usually imagined.

[edit] aha - The story is still on the BBC News site ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22871651

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    I'm another one without 'perfect pitch', but with very good relative pitch.  As soon as I have a frame of reference, it all fits together in my head.

Does let me cheat with the 'perfect pitch' thing though, as I only really have to memorise one correct note to hum in my head and I can work it all out from there.  Weirdly, my brain usually uses the start of 'Tom Sawyer' by Rush to get a reference 'E'.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    3/4 damnit, I knew the last one was wrong before I even clicked it I guess it was a bit of guess work

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    At the end of the day, any multiple choice quiz is flawed as you have a reasonably good chance of guessing
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    No. I like Neil Young.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    4, but based more on relative pitch than anything else
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Had a guy that used to come in my shop that could tell what inversion of a chord you played plus each of the notes with his back to you. Incredible to witness
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2015
    octatonic said:
    Can you transcribe from memory though?

That is the easy bit, the hardest bit is remembering it.  That is how I work everything out.  Listen, listen and listen for a solid week, then after it's in your mind, work out the riffs and solos from in your head in silence. I haven't the patience to sit and stop and start a tape.

Of course perfect pitch can be learnt, you just have to practice a lot.  It's a lot easier if you sing though.

Some days I think my lower hearing register is going and unlike what you'd think, it's more like colour blindness, where the colours or notes all roll into one.  It's still OK though.

I didn't understand any of the questions.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom