Cornell Romany

jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
I was quite interested in Cornell Romany as I thought it's inbuilt attentuation would be great for home playing. Then I watched this video. Beautiful cleans but IMHO terrible in attentuated mode. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_sD1G6Iyn4
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    PS. I know the model in the vid is a Romany Plus but I expect it's quite similar to a Romany. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    the vid doesn't lie. Had two Romanies. Loved the cleans - but found it farty when driven and fizzy at the lowest attenuation level

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I love mine both for the Fender Cleans with the tele and for some jazzy driven mayhem on the 335.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Sounds like theres an Octaver on it or something, not nice IMHO
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited November 2013
    I have a Romany Plus, which is my main practice amp at home. Bought it a few years ago. It's the version that has 3 settings -10 watt, 2 watt, and 1/4 watt. There's very little clean headroom at 1/4 watt, but I use the 2 watt setting at home, where there's plenty of headroom (I play clean most of the time). If the difference between the Romany and the Romany Plus is still the same; the Plus has Reverb and, most importantly, a proper Leather Handle!!
  • I've got the older Soft/Loud (2w/10w) model. The cleans are superb, only enhanced by the reverb. Granted the breakup gets gnarly and shrill beyond a certain point, it's an acquired taste, but very distinctive. What I would say about this amp is how well it takes pedals - RAT, Swollen Pickle, Liquid Sunshine - all sound amazing and at low volume, making the really low watt attenuation (for me) unnecessary anyway. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    On the original Romany I actually preferred the sound of the 1/4 W setting to the 2W setting.

The octave effect is due to the signal being half wave rectified in the power stage; if you drive the power valve beyond a certain point grid conduction occurs and the valve acts like a diode.

To avoid this you need to turn the volume down on the lower settings when you use the lower power modes.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    I used to have a Romany Plus - then I tried a Lazy J.

The power scaling on the Lazy J is far better than the attenuation on the Cornell.  It also sounds a lot better at high volumes.