Putting together first board tomorrow.. UPDATE board finished

What's Hot
RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
edited December 2013 in FX
As the title says... Bought a fair few pedals while I was away and finally ready to start testing/creating my pedal board tomorrow. Would be intrigued to what the mistakes/problems people had their first time. Gone a little overboard on the OD pedals and because I was away probably didn't appreciate purchasing other types of pedals... Oh well always more gas.

So far it will be turbo tuner > Wilson 12 pos vintage wah > one/two over drive pedals > 4 knob blueface memory man (annoyingly with power cable attached) > boss rc 3 looper > amp

OD pedals available are: original ts808 (definitely going on), Timmy, prince of tone, menatone foxy brown, lovepedal englishwoman and colorsound overdriver (no 9v jack so likely not being used)

Would appreciate any advice. Will be using pt 2 and pedalpower plus
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Hook side of the Velcro goes on pedals. 
  • Branshen;81751" said:
    If you're making your own board, I'd go the other way around and fluffy on the pedals. Means that they are easier to clean and don't pick up crap from the carpet at home!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

for your drive pedals have one for higher gain and one for lower gain.

Don't worry about what order they're in as long as they sound good in that order.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• And so it begins. You will never be satisfied with it, I think I'm on my 500th version now.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    If you have to buy velcro its Hook and Loop not Rough and fluff!!
    I put the Loop on the pedal as loop picks up more crap than hook.
    :)
    And so it begins. You will never be satisfied with it, I think I'm on my 500th version now.

Only V.500? you're slacking....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Get a carpet tile or something similar for the base, and just buy the hook part of the Velcro from a haberdasher (they tend to sell it separately from the loop part if you ask them). It works out a lot cheaper. Believe me!
  • Branshen;81751" said:
    If you're making your own board, I'd go the other way around and fluffy on the pedals. Means that they are easier to clean and don't pick up crap from the carpet at home!
    But then every time you buy or sell a used pedal the velcro needs removing and swapping??
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Things I've learned:

The temptation is to make everything permanent and for a long time I used that 3M mega strong one-sided velcro - what a pain in the arse, it's like glueing your pedals down - use good quality loop and hook - the T-rex stuff is just the right amount of strength vs easy to remove.

If you're wanting tidyness then cables you can cut to length (George L and the type) are good, so long as you're not making constant changes.

Also, for £30 the Gig Rig distributer is ace, allowing you to cut the 9v cables to the exact length.

Make your own board, it's just cooler that way.

• I'd buy good quality patch cables, probably with pancake plugs.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Branshen;81751" said:
    But then every time you buy or sell a used pedal the velcro needs removing and swapping??
    I don't sell as many as I buy, so that's rarely an issue (except to the old wallet!)  Mind, I find that it's not too difficult to remove and transfer the Velcro generally.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I would put every pedal into the chain(s) one-by-one - hook it up, turn the amp on, check everything works, rinse and repeat. The amount of times I've put my board back together only to get shitloads of noise or complete silence drives me mad. If you piece it together methodically it can save you a good while trying to isolate the problem. Of course if you find you have no problems by the end it's a bit of a false economy...

I also put the loop velcro on the pedals, and hook on the board. Loop usually wears out first, and it's easier to replace it on a pedal than the entire board, and also the pedals don't stick to your carpet!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bidley said:
    I would put every pedal into the chain(s) one-by-one - hook it up, turn the amp on, check everything works, rinse and repeat. The amount of times I've put my board back together only to get shitloads of noise or complete silence drives me mad. If you piece it together methodically it can save you a good while trying to isolate the problem. Of course if you find you have no problems by the end it's a bit of a false economy...

Have a wisdom! Might take an extra minute or 2 while putting it together but saves a big headache later. 
  • RichValentineRichValentine Frets: 142
    edited November 2013
    So far I'm learning that the fender patch cables I had are far too stiff to fit on a board and that testing drive pedals is fun. Looks like I'm narrowing it down to my ts808 with either the Timmy or englishwoman as a boost. Can anyone recommend decent pedal to pedal patch cables that aren't stiff and don't take up loads of room with the jacks...

Testing underway:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/rsavalentine/IMAG0122_zps21200cff.jpg
    Kabl, but they're quite expensive.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Think I've decided on the drives now... TS808 > Timmy (> Englishwoman)

Does anyone have 3 OD pedals on their board? I realise it is a little overkill but love the sound the Englishwoman makes. Decided I will look for a smaller/non wall socket delay pedal, as good as the vintage Memory Man sounds it takes up massive amounts of room and I want to power the whole thing from a single Pedal Power. Will probably end up selling the Colorsound/Memory Man and Prince of Tone in the forums.

• Does anyone have 3 OD pedals on their board?

Oh yes.

I'm currently using a Timmy, into a Catalinbread Formula 5F6, and then a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, and then a Suhr Koko Boost after those.

I don't use the 5F6 togther with the DLS, so the Timmy is there to boost either of them, and the Koko for a pure volume boost after them. That's running into a clean amp.

In the past I've had various other combinations with various other drive pedals...bloody silly really, but I do like these little boxes with LEDS.

• My only thought is that the tubescreamer will stack well into another more full range sounding drive than the other way round cos of its mid hump. So perhaps have the Timmy after it (dunno what the others sound like)
  • I've always run at least 3 - one clean boost, one middly drive and one filth. 

Currently that's SHO, Hotcake and Rat, though I use single pedals in front of a practice amp more often than my full board atm anyway.